It's winter and I'm hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's winter and I'm hot

Of all the challenges MS has thoughtfully given me, and there are many, the one I hate the most is being so frigging hot all the time. I feel like I'm going to explode into flames any minute. It's not a come-and-go feeling, it's all the time. I wear capri pants, short-sleeve shirts and am barefooted all the time. Honestly, I don't know how much longer I can stand this.
    Terri
    "God doesn't give you what you can handle, He helps you handle what you are given."

Hi Terri, I am with you 100% I am presently on a vacation in Northern Vermont, and it is absolutely freezing. In spite of that, I have the a/c here in our room set at 63. That seems to be my good temp. Anything above is misery. At home the hubby comes home from work every day with the same comment "crikey it's freezing in here." My toy poodle wears a sweater all the time.

So, if misery loves company, know that there are many of us in the same boat as you.

Comment

It's winter and I am mostly hot, too!

Having my own personal summer with me 12 months of the year is annoying. So just like you, I wear fewer clothes. I break into a sweat just looking at sweaters online or in a store. When my husband goes to sleep, I get up and turn the heat down even more. I bought him a twin sized electric heating pad that is under the sheets on his side of the bed so he can stay warm.

The good thing is that I save on clothing-I never have to consider woolen pants, turtleneck sweaters or heavy coats. Sometimes-by the time I am actually dressed,I am just sweating bullets-it seems. So I immediately began to change to lighter clothing. I have worn flip flops all winter inside my house and even out for several years. I am currently wearing my summer crocs because I had foot surgery in April and they work better with my still swollen foot than the flip flops.

I frequently rip off my shirts at home when I feel like I am about to explode into flames. When I quite sweating, I put them back on. Living in the woods allows me to do this outside, too, since no one can see us at all.

When I get hot in the car in the winter, I roll the windows down. I can cool off faster that way!

I understand how you are living completely!!!!

lydialou

Comment

Hot All The Time

Originally posted by TerriLC View Post
        Of all the challenges MS has thoughtfully given me, and there are many, the one I hate the most is being so frigging hot all the time. I feel like I'm going to explode into flames any minute. It's not a come-and-go feeling, it's all the time. I wear capri pants, short-sleeve shirts and am barefooted all the time. Honestly, I don't know how much longer I can stand this.

Oh, I know what you mean. Sometimes I do get cold but mostly I live in fear of getting too hot and not being able to take any more clothes off! I used to wear turtlenecks all the time and cashmere sweaters, but now I look at them and know I could never do that. It's as if the nerve endings in my skin are all super sensitive to heat or even just a little warmth. Wear cotton whenever you can, not synthetics, and layers to you can remove all but the lightest one. I always carry a cool pair of shoes in the car, too.

I hope you don't live in Phoenix!

Comment

I too am one who can not tolerate heat above 70' but wear a t-shirt and sweat shorts with sandals at 20'. I only wear long pants and very rarely a light wait jacket so as not to embarrass my wife when we go out together.

Funny you should post this now as I had an appoint the other day, temperature outside was 29' and I was driving with the windows down on the car and vent on full blast. STILL I was sweating especially once inside the office.

We just came back from a cruise vacation to Hawaii so when people ask me if I'm cold, I say no, I just want to show off my new t-shirt from Hawaii.
          Craig Mattice~Living Life On My Terms~
          No Excuses No Regrets!

Richmond, VA USA

Comment

I love this place !!!! Only here can I come and people know
            exactly what I am talking about. I wear a T-Shirt and its
            20 degrees out. I am so tired of hearing ... how can you
            be so hot when it is cold outside, how can you only wear a
            T-shirt like that.

Kathy
            What YOU Are Is ... GOD'S Gift to You
            What YOU Make Of Yourself Is ... Your Gift To GOD

Comment

All I can say is Ditto, Ditto and Ditto.

My dh always brings a heavy coat when we go out in the car (we live in a usually mild climate) so when I turn on the air conditioning he won't literally freeze!

Comment

Me too! I'm so tired of sweating. I hate to sweat.
                And though I'm not quite old enough, I'm so very tired of hearing "are you going thru the change". People like to say it anyway. That's why I even hate to say it.
                Does anyone know why we have this problem?
                I think that hypothalamus regulates temperature. Is that why? I do know that I have a good size brain stem lesion.
                Just wondering.

Stay cool everyone.

Comment

Me too

I too stay warm 24/7 no matter what the temp is outside or inside. Do all of you use DMD's ? Is the heat thing MS or and effect of the med's ?

Comment

I don't believe this terrible heat thing is a result of DMDs as I had this problem before starting a DMD. I also have good sized lesions on the brain stem. This issue HAS to be MS related as too many of us suffer from it. Right now, I'm sitting here looking at snow outside and have on capri pants, short sleeved shirt, barefooted and I'M HOT....just sick of this.
                    Terri
                    "God doesn't give you what you can handle, He helps you handle what you are given."

Comment

I am thinking I will add this question to my ongoing list of questions for my next neuro visit in May.

I really can't remember reading anything about the "hot" thing in the list of things that folks with MS experience.

Hmmm????

lydialou

Comment

Hello

One possibility to consider is that if there are lesions/demyelination in the area of the hypothalamus, one could experience fatigue, sleep disturbances, or temperature changes (hypothermia/cold or hyperthermia/hot).

Take care,
                        KoKo
                        PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I haven't had a dX of anything other than ON yet but - I'm the opposite. I'm always cold, but I sweat a lot too. I'm comfortable at about 78, and not just because I live in Florida (was aware of it before moving down here). When I was on steroids for ON last time is the only time I ever remember baking in my own skin.

Comment

OMG(gosh)

I live in good ole Calif. Its so hot here already its literally killing me. I am having huge issues with overheating my body in such a short amount of time.

The major department stores here have their temp. controlled by another state...so going to Target is like going to a sauna.

I too keep getting asked if Im going through the change...a slight possibility and then I do have thyroid issues....but I have always been a cold person...now forget it!

I am hot all the time, my good temp is between 63-64 degrees anything higher is awful. I almost passed out from being overheated the other day and I was outside and the temp was about 70!!!

Im dreading summer! I have to go to work! Im dreading my electric bill to keep me cool.......at least Im not alone!

Comment

I just want to say thank to everyone who posted. I was getting tired of everyone (friends and family), tell me it was because I am going through the change (which I am). I am always HOT! I have recently gotten rid of my flannel sheets and nightgowns, preferring cotton sheets and tee-shirts for nighttime. I sleep with the fan on-all year round. We currently has 11 inches of snow on the ground, temperature in the upper 20's and I have my heat on 55 degrees. Thank goodness my DH and DD appease me and wear layers. I am not looking forward to the summer! Thanks everyone for posting as you give creadance to my issues!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X