Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mixing up words??

Hi all,
    I've noticed lately that I am mixing up words, forgetful of the right word or having a hard time speaking clearly. I feel like i sound drunk like slurring. I dont want people to think i'm drinking on the job lol. This happen to anyone else?

-doggiemom

Yes. Absoloutely. It is not always so bad. But when it is, I feel like I just have to stop talking or someone is gonna think I'm drunk or on drugs.

Good luck. And your not alone.

Comment

I have done this for years, we never connected with ms we just thought it was dyslexia,. I think it can happen with out ms. I can never get a sentence out right I hate talking to people I feel dumb and people just look at me oddly. I don't openly talk to people. I find it so awkward. It comes out in my typing too if you haven't noticed already . I know exactly what I want to say it just comes out the wrong way. Everytime it never fails.
      Not dx yet, had symptoms now for 4 years. First Neuro App was August 5,10.MRI DEC 8,2010 Finally done. Original MRI was for July 4,2011

Comment

i havent been diagnosed yet, waiting for my doc to refer me to a neurologist, but i do that quite a bit. sometimes i cant say real words at all. i can think of the words but i cant pronounce them right, and when i am trying to tell a story i have brain "farts" so to speak and i cant think of the right words to say, but i just keep on talking like nothing happened. haha

Comment

Yup...I tried to explain MS as a chronic neurological disease. Came out as a chronological disease . Maybe it is a little, but I'm not THAT old.
          ~This life is only a test. Had it been an actual life, you would have been given further instructions on what to do and where to go~
          Blessings, Kris

Comment

words or no words

I've been verbally dyslexic for years but now I not only loose the word I want to say but the ability to say the word...I simply loose the ability to speak all together for a few seconds.....da um..nothing and then I try to apologize for it and then try again. Its so embarrassi8ng. And of course I am talking to either insurance people or my work, so its doubly embarrassing. Anyone else doing this too???
            Debbie

Comment

I've been experiencing the same since about December of last year, a gradual progressing problem.

I am normally a very articulate person. Sure, I did forget sometimes like other people and mix up words but not THIS bad. I stutter, mis-pronounce words, slur, jumble, can not comprehend the simple things and I just forgot where I was going with this sentence, see?

Things come into my head and leave just as fast and I can't remember a thing. It's awful.

I feel your pain about it. Lately, I just laugh at myself when I do it and I say to the other person "You know what, I just don't understand" or "It's not going to come out right" coupled with "Moving right along, next subject!"

It makes others laugh when you can laugh at yourself and they won't focus on your issue so much. Laughter has become key for me with this disease. Without it, I wouldn't have a job or anything.

*hugs* and hoping you feel better soon...

Jami Lea

Comment

mixing up words, forgetful of the right word or having a hard time speaking clearly
                Yep, that's me all the time now. Has been ongoing for two years now and its embarrassing when meeting new people.

Comment

Originally posted by boylecen View Post
                  I've been verbally dyslexic for years but now I not only loose the word I want to say but the ability to say the word...I simply loose the ability to speak all together for a few seconds.....da um..nothing and then I try to apologize for it and then try again. Its so embarrassi8ng. And of course I am talking to either insurance people or my work, so its doubly embarrassing. Anyone else doing this too???
                  yup, same thing!!! my kids ( 9 & 12 ) keep telling me to spit it out!!! lol their friends have been over enough that don`t even blink when it happens. of course, i do get teased for it, but i always dish it back too.

dave
                  hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
                  volunteer
                  MS World
                  hunterd@msworld.org
                  PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Word-fishing

Haven't seen my post yet, so I'm going to try again.

I saw in another post here someone called looking for a "missing" word "word-fishing". It's the perfect description.

I mostly only word-fish at home, and my family and I laugh about it most of the time. Sometimes it's very frustrating though. I tell my kids not to use "thingy" and "stuff" when talking to me, then I go do it to them . . .

Comment

Throat Spasms

Anyone else get them? They are really painful and increasing lately.

Comment

I do this a lot lately, it's quite embarrassing. I will be talking to a neighbor or acquaintance and mix up words/say the wrong word. I feel like I have to think harder before I talk now or something. And even then, I still mix up words.

Comment

Originally posted by boylecen View Post
                          I absolutely do this too! It's like my brain goes faster than my mouth or the other way around and all the words get jumbled up. I have to stop take a breath and then try again!

Comment

I get this sooo bad!! It really affects my confidence and self esteem. Words come out jumbled together, or not at all. I used to pride myself on my vocabulary and ability to communicate. For the past two years I have blamed this on being busy. So I try to slow down and concentrate more. Its much worse when I am really exhausted and run down.
                            momm2two

Comment

Yup yup. I get this all the time. Just yesterday, I told my hubby to get my daughter's "thingy the doctor writes on to get pills" as we were leaving. For the life of me, I could not think of the word "prescription." I say stupid thngs like that all the time. I mix up my kids and pets names constantly too now. It's so frustrating and doesn't help that my hubby is a merciless tease.

Comment

Working...
                              X