How do you get your protein?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you get your protein?

I recently started a vegetarian diet. I usually dont get more than 10% protein for the day. Is there a supplement I can start? Ive seen people make their smoothies or breakfast shakes with large scoops of protein powder, but I dont think I could take the chalkiness.
    Any advice?

Are you a vegetarian or a vegan? Most vegetarians eat dairy products (and often eggs), and it's very easy to get plenty of protein that way. Vegans, however, eat no dairy products (and no eggs) at all.

I'm a vegan myself. I get plenty of protein from the wide variety of plant-based foods I eat, including quinoa (a complete protein) and a modest amount of legumes (mostly tempeh, sprouted tofu, and miso).

If you feel you need protein powder, not all of them are chalky. There's a brand made from hemp seed that's pretty palatable.

Comment

Originally posted by lilly.hewlett View Post
      I recently started a vegetarian diet. I usually dont get more than 10% protein for the day. Is there a supplement I can start? Ive seen people make their smoothies or breakfast shakes with large scoops of protein powder, but I dont think I could take the chalkiness.
      Any advice?
      Hi lilly.hewlett, It says you are a junior member?

If you're under say, ~ 22 you may need to be more diligent about your protein intake.

As adults we can get enough protein for basic replacement of cells and repair jobs from a plant based diet - (without combining incomplete proteins) ie., grains with legumes.

But if you're still growing and going through puberty you may want to pay attention.

You said vegetarian?? eggs and dairy?? consuming some dairy and eggs most days would be enough protein.

If a vegan; I would suggest goggling "combining incomplete proteins"....and learn how to mix and match plant foods each day to provide all the essential amino acids in your diet.

Be sure to include plenty of essential fatty acids: flax and hempseed oils, DHA from algae (instead of from fish oils)
      NutritionTara
      Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

I'm pretty sure "junior member" has to do with recent membership and post count, not age.

Comment

Here's a good article about protein from the CDC:

http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyon...s/protein.html

As a vegetarian, now a vegan, I've been combining incomplete proteins for over 40 years. At first, back when Frances Moore Lappe's Diet for a Small Planet came out, everyone was struggling to make sure that proteins were combined at the same meal (beans with rice, for example). Fortunately, that turned out not to be necessary. The body maintains a pool of amino acids drawn from all the food eaten within a single day, upon which it can draw to make incomplete proteins complete.

From the article:

In the past, it was thought that these complementary proteins needed to be eaten at the same meal for your body to use them together. Now studies show that your body can combine complementary proteins that are eaten within the same day.

Comment

Thank you so much for the information! I do eat eggs and diary, but I try not to eat them each day. I am over 22, but I see some things mentioned here that I'd never considered like quinoa, which Ive never tasted. I bought some tempeh, so Im curious to see how it turns out. Thanks so much for helping me out!

Comment

I am a very strict Vegan, no oil, dairy, etc.

I get my protein from a fruit-vegetable supplement called Fruitein, those soy based meats, like Bologna, and lots of legumes. I monitor everyday and seem to get 100% of RDA.

There seems to be a few people here from Milwaukee area, Woodman's in Kenosha has a great Vegan section in their produce area with many options for tofu based meats without any oil. The problem with these is their salt content, so I eat half portions on Ezekiel no sodium bread.

Comment

Originally posted by thepla View Post
                I am a very strict Vegan, no oil, dairy, etc.
                Just so people who aren't familiar with Veganism know, it's not necessary to give up oil. Oils are derived from vegetable sources.

Vegans eat no animal products, including honey. Many also wear no leather or wool.

Comment

Originally posted by Sequoia View Post
                  Just so people who aren't familiar with Veganism know, it's not necessary to give up oil. Oils are derived from vegetable sources.

Vegans eat no animal products, including honey. Many also wear no leather or wool.
                  Thanks for the clarification, everyone tells me my eating habits are "vegan";I've never even read up on the term. I changed my eating habits due to having chest discomfort and having 35% blockage, noted from an angiogram. I now have no discomfort and a new angiogram showed only a 20% blockage. I do not use "vegan" due to any animal rights, just a way of life of eating. I also feel it cannot hurt for my diagnosis of PPMS.

Comment

Nuts are a great source of protein. Peanuts have 40g per serving.

Comment

If you eat/drink dairy, those protein powders can be made with ice cream and some fruit; this takes away the chalky consistency.
                      RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                      "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Working...
                      X