Coconut oil for MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coconut oil for MS

There was a recent article about an Alzheimer's patient in a Tampa FL publication who's wife is a neonatologist and gave him coconut oil and anecdotally claims he is significantly improved by taking coconut oil due to it's part in a ketogenic diet. So far I've not seen anything else about this and would like some feedback or other information about this.

Many thanks to any posters.

I'll be very interested to hear what Tara has to say about this.

The primary fats in my own diet come from olive oil, flaxseed oil and coconut oil.

Here's a link to the article you mentioned, for anyone who wants to read it:

http://www.tampabay.com/news/aging/article879333.ece

Comment

And for anyone who's concerned about the saturated fat content of coconut oil, here's a good article from the Multiple Sclerosis Resource Centre (UK) explaining why this does not pose a risk:

http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm/fuse...ow/pageid/1121

Comment

popcorn

If you can eat popcorn, coconut oil is great for making it. Nice flavor no other or very little seasoning needed.

Comment

Confused!

I'm confused! I have been using coconut oil, but there seems to be two opposing views - one saying it's very healthy, the other saying it's very unhealthy. Dr. Weil still says he doesn't recommend it. So, do I keep using it?

Jen

Comment

Originally posted by JenAM View Post
            I'm confused! I have been using coconut oil, but there seems to be two opposing views - one saying it's very healthy, the other saying it's very unhealthy. Dr. Weil still says he doesn't recommend it. So, do I keep using it?

Jen
            Tara Palmer, MSWorld's professional nutritionist, recommends coconut oil. Hopefully she'll be along soon to share her expert opinion on the topic of this thread. In the meantime, here's a past post from her on the subject:

Yes, coconut oil contains saturated fat. However, this fat is a medium-chain fat; unlike animal saturated fats which are long-chain fatty acids (arachidonic acid). This allows coconut oil to be absorbed into the bloodstream without going to the liver to be conjugated (lots of work for the liver).
            In addition, coconut oil contains lauric and capric acid which have antimicrobial and antifungal properties.
            I use coconut oil for fibromyalgia, arthritis and for athletic calories. The last is becoming particularly amazing in my practice with athletes. The athlete can ingest coconut oil anytime and bypass digestion to get calories in.
            The article I gave a link to previously explains how coconut oil came to get such "bad press" and gives good information on the facts. Here it is again, in case you missed it:

http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm/fuse...ow/pageid/1121

I'm almost always a big fan of Dr. Weil, but in this case I'm afraid he's misinformed. I wish he'd take another look at coconut oil.

Comment

Thanks so much Sequoia. I really appreciate your input. I'm going to continue to use coconut oil!

Jen

Comment

Originally posted by Jules59 View Post
                There was a recent article about an Alzheimer's patient in a Tampa FL publication who's wife is a neonatologist and gave him coconut oil and anecdotally claims he is significantly improved by taking coconut oil due to it's part in a ketogenic diet. So far I've not seen anything else about this and would like some feedback or other information about this.

Many thanks to any posters.
                So is the coconut oil the benefit? or the ketogenic diet?

Lets look at the chemistry of Fats:
                Fats are characterized by their size and length of their carbon chain. There are short, medium and long-chain fatty acids/ Coconut oil is a medium chain fatty acid (MCT), a medium chain triglyceride. These MCTs are easily broken down and utilized by the body. (I have athletes that consume coconut oil WHILE they're working out and experience NO stomach cramps) coconut oil doesn't have to go into the gut to be digested, (which would pull water from working muscles) it can be directly absorbed into the blood stream for energy.

It is my opinion the Soy industry did a magnificent job of villainizing the saturated fat industry....
                The reality is when polyunsaturated fats (soy, canola, corn oils) are heated their double bond is less stable and is released creating free radicals.
                Saturated fats remain stable through the heating process.

Vegetable oils are the villains not saturated fats and certainly not medium chain saturated fats like coconut oil.

No one can say for sure about any one food. However, I think coconut oil should be part of every healthful nutrition plan.
                NutritionTara
                Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Working...
                X