Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does weakness in your muscles feel like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does your weakness in your muscles feel like?

Before I continue, I would like to say that my problems with my muscles happen even when I'm not doing too much. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to my episodes. Sometimes I do too much and my muscles don't do these things.

First, the muscles in my hands and arms sometimes just don't work right. ( ie poor coorination, dropping things for no reason, they don't move smoothly or move stiffly). I also suffer from tremors in my hands.

Other times when I am using them (ie typing on the computer, using the mouse, washing my hair, etc.) my muscles just can't continue to move. It's like I have been working out with weight machines (which I don't do now) and I pushed them past what they can do and they can't do anymore, period.

Sometimes it's almost like a burning, if I continue, and they will just quit working. I know normally during exercise when you go too far or do too much you can have lactate acid build up. Sometimes it feels like that in my muscles but sometimes this happens as I just start to do something.

Second, my legs sometimes feel very, very heavy. It's like if I keep standing or walking I'm going to fall right down. Sometimes during these episodes there is burning in my muscles. I have tripped a lot (my right foot seems to drag when I walk) and have fallen down twice when my right leg just gave out with no warning.

Lastly, I have passed the test neuros give to test for weakness ie "push against my hands as hard as you can" a few times. They have said I don't have any weakness.

To be fair, my PCP has said what has happened he would call weakness in my muscles.

So, if you would please let me know what your weakness feels like I would appreciate it.

Hi nana-anne

I can relate to most all of your examples.

Lastly, I have passed the test neuros give to test for weakness ie "push against my hands as hard as you can" a few times. They have said I don't have any weakness.
    When I was initially diagnosed, my weakness was intermittent, and based on how much I had used the muscle, or after repetition of muscle use. Now I have it all the time (11 years PPMS), even with keeping active and exercising over the years.

My muscle weakness feels like I have no strength.

If I use the muscles in a repetitive way, they get tired and lose strength, sometimes to the point that I'm unable to move until I rest awhile. Very short time of endurance.

I have what's called muscle weakness and spasticity. Sometimes what I think is weakness, is also due to spasticity, which can make moving difficult. At one of my neuro visits, the doc asked me to lift my arm several times. I could only lift it a few times and then couldn't lift it anymore. I thought it was just from weakness, but he said there was also spasticity from the impaired nerve signals.

Also, my legs give out if I'm standing/walking for very long. I've also heard this called neuro muscular fatigue, meaning it originates from faulty nerve signals to the muscles.

In any case, with MS, it usually has to do with impaired nerve signals - whether it is muscle weakness or spasticity.

Take care,
    KoKo
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I have what I call "Weak and Wobbly" days. It is especially bad when I have been doing something physical, like working in the yard or on a project that requires lots of stooping down. After 45 minutes to an hour, I get very weak and it is hard to stand back up again, my legs feel like they weigh a ton but are made of rubber and I stumble around while dragging my left foot, must be a sight to see!

After a long rest, 1-2 hours or so, I can give it another go but usually this time for 30-45 minutes before I have to just sit and let my legs recover. Makes for long days with little progress on projects! Fortunately no pain associated with it, I have enough pain in my arm without using it!

I believe I have spasticity every morning as my legs are real stiff for 1-2 hours until I have had my coffee and breakfast and ease into the day slowly. The stiffness is different than the weakness. Either sx makes me feel much, much older than I am though and it's not fun!

Comment

Thank you

Thank you, Koko and MS TOO.

This helps me to understand. I appreciate the replies so much.

Comment

Oh I forgot

I forgot but remembered after reading your reply, I can take easy walks and usually do very well with this but I can not stand in one place for any length of time without having to sit down or my muscles give out. I don't understand this but it's one more of my strange symptoms.

Comment

I feel like I've worked out for a couple of hours when I'm just getting up sometimes.

Other times I can walk to the bathroom or brush my teeth and feel like I'd been doing it for hours. Sometimes when brushing my teeth I have to switch hands cause my arm becomes weighed down.

I have to say for the most part I feel this way all the time. I used to be so active.
            Dx MS Aug 2010 (after 2 years of searching)
            Started Copaxone Aug. 2010

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
              In any case, with MS, it usually has to do with impaired nerve signals - whether it is muscle weakness or spasticity.
              That pretty much says it all

Impaired nerve signal, mis-communication of nerves, messages not getting through --- anyway you slice it our CNS is screwed up
              Diagnosed 1984
              “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

My weakness in my muscles is a feeling of absolute powerlessness. When it hits there is nothing I can do an they take over resulting sometimes in me falling down.

It is as if they are spaghetti. There but not lending no support and not allowing me to move them when and where I want not matter what the circumstances. I have gotten used to it and thus am very careful to sit down.

Should I have to use my forearm crutches for too long the leg weakness hits hard and fast when I go to get up. The same can happen while trying to get up off the toilet even with grab bars. Thus, I fell into the bathtub ripping the shower rod off the wall. It was like there was not support there whatsoever.

What you ask really isn't that easy for me to describe. But, I am confident since you too have experienced this situation you do know what I'm talking about.
                Craig Mattice~Living Life On My Terms~
                No Excuses No Regrets!

Richmond, VA USA

Comment

I reallz don't know if mine is weakness or just plain fatigue, I just feel as if I had been covered with a lead apron, it is hard to lift any of my limbs and even my eyes feel funny. I went for a "short" walk in the forest with a friend today and she forgot to mention that she plans to walk around the forest and not just take a casual stroll. By the time we were almost homeward bound I had trouble walking, had to stop a few times, pretending to blow my nose or admire the nature. My legs were trembling and I felt awful. When I got home I tried to remedy these issues by eating all the healthy stuff I could find, in hopes of replenishing my reserves. Besides rolling on the couch from my upset stomach it didn't help at all I tried coffee, cola, vitamins, nothing helps.
                  RRMS Diagnosed December 2009,
                  on Copaxone December 2009-October 2011 -
                  Starting interferons hopefully soon.

Comment

Yes Craig I do understand and Maple25 I have had the after too much exercise tremors. Thank you again everyone else.

I'm just trying to sort all this out. My muscles are doing different things and none are fun.

I looked up neuro muscular fatigue and found out that is what I tested positive for a year and a half ago when my pulmonalist gave me a bicycle stress test and said I should make sure I gave the results to my neuro. The neuro wasn't interested. Oh sigh!

I appreciate the information. It helps.

Comment

Weakness

I compare my leg weakness to the rubbery leg feeling after you've been hiking or running (something I used to do). I also have the feeling of moving 2 cement blocks around for legs or sometimes the foot that sticks to one spot - I want to take a step but can't get my leg to cooperate. When I have the extreme weakness there's not a lot I can do but rest.

Comment

Good description

The lead apron is such a good description. I just posted to see if anyone had this issue.

My legs work just fine. Seriously, I can even roller skate. But, sometimes, they just feel heavy. I am not sure if it is just overall fatigue---I just want to lie there and move as little as possible--like I am in a cocoon. And my legs in particular feel like I have to think to move them--like they don't just move with me, even though really they do.

Fatigue is my main issue...I hate it.

Comment

So, I am sort of glad, that I am not the only one with this heavy feeling. When I told my neuro she just shrugged it off, told me to take vitamin B and moved on to next subject... That's it. I was wondering if any of the amantadine or provigil pills would help alleviate this. Any suggestions?
                          RRMS Diagnosed December 2009,
                          on Copaxone December 2009-October 2011 -
                          Starting interferons hopefully soon.

Comment

Fatigue & Weakness

I've had much frustration with similar issues with my original Neuro (am in the process of switching after 7+yrs! because of it)

I, too, have 'passed' those stupid 1 minute grip strength tests, etc. done in the exam room. And I can still squeeze my doctor's fingers, I can push against his hands and I can walk the 4 to 5 feet area in the small exam room! Because of this - it seems my old Neuro would discount much of what I told him I was experiencing because of what I was able to do for that very short period, in that very small space.

Let's not mention that I'd been sleeping and laying down for days before that appointment, that I didn't drive there, that I was sitting down most of the time and reserving all the energy I could - so I was able to effectively perform for that short period of time!

But I have excessive fatigue and full body weakness on a constant basis. My body feels like it weighs a ton, like I'm not moving through air but trying to move through molasses.

Sitting upright, leaned against the back of the bed - as I am right now, after sleeping/laying down all day long - I feel exhausted and as if I'm exerting a lot of energy to just sit here and type and 'think' even!

I freqently have burning sensations in my muscles, even when laying down at rest, it's like my body tenses up so bad until the muscles are burning away and I have to force myself to relax...and shortly after I feel the burning muscles again and realize I'm tense again, etc.

Right now, I spend most of my life in bed sleeping or laying down. I've posted about this a few times because I'm struggling big time with it all. But it's been this way for over 6 months now.

When I can do things, my muscles & body wear out very quickly.

When I get up, it depends. Some times, I have to lay right back down because there's no strength in my body for me to stand up. Other times, I get up and can walk with a lot of effort short distances but am very shakey and weak feeling from head to toe the entire time. So it's to the bathroom and back to the bed. Or downstairs to the couch.

On the 'better' days - I can get up, move around easier, and do things for short periods of time. But I still quickly burn up my energy and strength and must sit down or lie down along the way. I do things in 'spurts'. Get up and brush teeth, wash face, put hair in pony tail - sit down for awhile. Then get up, put clothes on, shoes on and sit down again. Get up, get purse, water and walk to car and sit. Some days I can drive, other days I can't.

On those 'better' days - I still have slept for 12-15 hours just to manage a couple hours of on/off activity in those 'spurts'.

On a GREAT day - I still have slept at least 12hrs - but can get up, move around fairly easily and do things in longer spurts and for longer periods over all. In the past several months - these days are far and few between. I cherish them and don't want to even go to sleep because I don't want it to end!!

For me what's so confusing and frustrating is what I live with day to day but having my doctor think I'm just fine because I can technically grab his hand or push back on him or walk a couple feet in a 10 minute period of my entire day!

I am sorry for what you are going through - what so many are going through! I hope some of the info I shared helps and wasn't just me ranting/venting!

Comment

Working...
                            X