Need VA service rep in Charlotte

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need VA service rep in Charlotte

My son, a former Marine, was just diagnosed with MS a few weeks ago. He lost his eye sight in one eye and also had cognitive impairment. The neurologist found old and new lesions on his brain and spinal MRIs. He has had just one Tysabri infusion so far. I am trying to help him find a VA service representative in Charlotte, NC. What is the process and where do we start? Any guidance would be appreciated. This journey is just beginning. Thanks!!

One place you can start is at the VA facility where he goes for his MS. Usually they have service officers such as PVA, DAV, MOPH etc. often they are there on a schedule or whatever.

You could also contact the PVA on their web and the site will list real physical address and phone number for reg bus hours. PVA handles a lot of MS cases, with his MS Dx he is entitled to free lifetime membership in PVA.

He will NEED his DD214, and start getting ALL his active duty medical records, those will be IMPORTANT. If his MS was diagnosed within a few years or so after active duty, he should be able to get service connected for it,no problem. Bob knows more about the time lines, he will probably join in here.

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

I guess I'd start here:

http://www.salisbury.va.gov/

but keep in mind I'm not in N.C. so I can't vouch for their quality of service.
      Your son might also want to check out this thread

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=105996

which explains the basics as best as I could.
      We're not allowed to post hot links on this forum, so just highlight those addresses then copy them and paste them into your browser address window.

I know what its like to lose vision in one eye and wind up "foggy" because of MS, let your son know there are lots of people here who understand what he's dealling with.

Comment

Contact William Peck in Winston Salem PVA he is terrific and has handled my case very well, I was approved in 8 months. Is your son being seen at Salisbury VA, it is a VA MS Center of excellence,the nuero and the infusion nurses there are fantastic and really help with things you need. My email address is on my profile send me an email and I will forward his contact info to you. I will also send you my phone number if you would like to talk to me, I will be happy to help you as much as possible. I am in Mooresville. They also have a VET only support group there the second wed of every month. I will be home after 2pm today and all day tomorrow and sat if either of you wants to speak to me.
        Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

Thank you all for information

Thank each of you for the information. My son has not been to the VA Hospital for any treatment so far. He is being treated by a neurologist in Charlotte. He doesn't have very good insurance so the bills are mounting. We definitely want to know what options he has for coverage through the VA. He was released from active duty more than 7 years ago but with evidence of old lesions and symptoms he had previously, we are hopeful that he'll qualify for service-connected status. He has copies of his medical records due to a training accident he had resulting in surgery before his discharge.

Scooter, I will email separately you to obtain the contact information for Mr. Peck.

Comment

Just be sure you all understand that VA hospitals and clinics treat the patient's disease, not the pension.
            Its why I try to keep some distance between treatment and pensions, its really like comparing apples and oranges.
            If you have an SC pension vs a Non-SC pension or no pension at all, there's no difference in treatment and probably no difference in any co-pays (which are really cheap, anyway). Co-pays (if warranted) are determinded based on income, BTW.

Just tell your son to lay all his cards on the table when he picks a service rep. No surprises and no hidden info makes for a faster process. I've also found it beneficial to push for treatment more than the pension stuff. The pension stuff can take a while, you don't want the treatment stuff tied to it.

Comment

Bob- I told them to get up there and go to entitlements and get him under VA care for his MS asap, and then contact PVA rep.
              Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

Working...
              X