shoes for afo brace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shoes for afo brace

Hi, can any ladies suggest a brand of shoe that is light weight and comfortable to wear with afo. i am 42 year old woman and have an oapl carbon fibre afo. i have found diabetic shoes to be okay but would appreciate any advice on what others have found...thanking you

I wear Ecco shoes. They make several styles that lace up or have Velcro, which works best with my AFO. Their shoes have removable insoles except for the sandals.

I generally get them online at Zappos, since they have free shipping on returns. It's really hard to try on shoes anywhere but home.

Comment

I have been trying to find shoes for my new AFO, too and I have had some luck. My AFO is an articulating leather one so I am not sure how that compares to yours.

I found my regular Adidas running shoes worked with the AFO, since the insoles are removable. The bad thing is that I don't like to wear running shoes and my feet hurt if I wear them at work.

I went to Nordstom and tried on all kind of shoes. They have a policy where they will sell you mismatched shoes sizes for the same price as a standard pair of shoes.

I love Dansko clogs and the clogs seem to lessen my foot drop. My regular Dansko clogs did not accommodate the size of my AFO. Nordstrom was able to get me into a clog that was one size larger and wider for the right shoe and the regular size for the left shoe. I did have to get the clog with the back heel, to keep the AFO from sliding out but that was okay. I normally buy standard clogs with an open heel.

Dansko makes tons of shoe styles though so if clogs are not your thing, there are so many other choices.

Look for any shoe that has removable insoles. Try Naot, New Balance, Merrell, Mepshisto, Dansko, and Ecco for starters. If you do not have a Nordstrom nearby, go to any good shoe store that has experienced fitters and quality shoes. The Walking Store has lots of good choices.

I am not sure what I am going to do with the warm weather months coming up. I love pretty sandals and there is no way to wear the AFO with those. I do have two pairs of Merrell sandals that I walk fairly well in. I do trip up in them but not near as much as other shoes. I think my compliance will drop off in the spring/summer or if I am wearing clothing that will expose the AFO. There is nothing pretty about this AFO and it is black.

I hope you find some good options out there.

Comment

I wear Saucony Lite's, they are running shoes, but incredibly light and have a removable insole to allow for the AFO.

Good luck
        Lisa
        Moderation Team
        Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
        SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
        Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by helen_908 View Post
          Hi, can any ladies suggest a brand of shoe that is light weight and comfortable to wear with afo. i am 42 year old woman and have an oapl carbon fibre afo. i have found diabetic shoes to be okay but would appreciate any advice on what others have found...thanking you
          Have you tried "Clarks" shoes? They are very supportive, but not sure if they will help with AFO. I wore tennis shoes ("NewBalance" is what I wore) when I had to use an AFO.
          Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

thanking all of you

thanks for all your input. all i need to do now is shop...yahoo...

Comment

My current shoes are Saucony. I have also had success withAdidas.

I usually need to get shoes a half to a whole size bigger to accommodate my AFOs.

I work in a large, sprawling school so I need to do a lot of traveling. Lots of teachers where tennis shoes, so they don't look out of place.

Any time I need to wear dressier shoes it is for a very short period of time.

I just spend too much time trying to find dress shoes. Trying them on in the store is bothersome and I don't like the time or attention that is involved. I usually leave defeated.

Originally, my Physical Therapist and orthodist told me to get New Balance because of the wide base and suport. I was also supposed to look for shoes with the least amount of webbing so they would be sturdier. But I find them to get to heavy after I wear them a while.

I try to get shoes that are lightweight with a mix of webbing and leather.

Good Luck,

Comment

Working...
              X