barometric pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

barometric pressure

Does the barometric pressure affect ms symptoms? It may not be related but when the pressure is up, say above 30, I seem to get worse. Get very tired and legs don't want to work at all. Any input would be appreciated. I have ppms. Peace - Nick

Similar reaction

Nick, I have ppms as well. When ever a front moves thru (higher pressure or lower pressure) my neuro pain increases. This has proved consistant over the last 5 years. I don't know why, my neuro doesn't know why, and my pain doc doesn't know why. I think my neuro disregards this phenomena entirely (yes, you are right, it is in my head and it's on my spine as well).

It's nice to see someone with similar reaction.

Comment

Yep, I'm a walking barometer as well.
      I always know when its going to rain, my fatigue will spike and I also feel achy in my joints.

Comment

I haven't paid attention to any changes in my MS symptoms, but I do tend to get migraines(which a lot of MS sufferers seem to have) when there is a shift in air pressure.
        -jsox

Comment

I am so happy to see this!!! I have wondered this for a few years now. We just had a horrendous weather system move through. I had to take two days off work with an increase in symptoms.

I actually at one point thought I was in a flare. While I don't enjoy this, it is amazing that our bodies can detect things like this.

Thank you for this post!

Comment

Along these same sort of lines, has anyone noticed any effects due to an elevation difference? I live in Colorado (mile high), and when I go somewhere like Florida (much lower in elevation) I don't seem to get as tired or worn out as easily as I usually do.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob698 View Post
              Yep, I'm a walking barometer as well.
              I always know when its going to rain, my fatigue will spike and I also feel achy in my joints.
              Me too. I get the dizzies and so so tired then OH it rains LOL! I am a walking weatherman...or woman.

I was actually at a MS Support group last month and they had a speaker talking about pressure and how it can effect MS symptoms. Helps to know we really are not crazy.

CrazyCatLady
              MS Does Not Define Me.....My Love of Tea Does! LOL!

Comment

barometric pressure

Thanks all for your responses. At least I know I am not alone and think that I imagine these symptons.

Peace - Nick

Comment

Me too!

The barometric pressure affects me so much! I live in Colorado and the drastic changes in pressure and temperature exacerbate my symptoms and, this year, played a part in a nasty episode. I did a lot of research and even though most docs don't know about it or feel there is proof, there are plenty of us out here who are, "walking barometers". This seems pretty common with many neurological illnesses.

Hope everyone is feeling well today!
                  Still in Limboland - started this journey 3/2010.

Comment

There have been various studies (you can find them on pubmed) that dispute the claim that changes in barometric pressure have an effect on pain, such as pain associated with arthritis or migraines.

I don't believe them!! At my house, we have a computerized system that monitors changes in all sorts of weather things (courtesy of my engineer family). I can look back over a week or month and it's amazing how my migraines or back pain line up with changes in pressure. My mother, who has severe osteoarthritis, has noticed the same pattern with her joint pain. I don't have a rocking chair on my front porch but I joke about years down the road, getting one and charging the neighbors for weather reports.

My neurologist told me that he sees significantly more patients for migraines (chronic, increased frequency, etc) in the spring than any other time of year. Makes sense because, especially in our neck of the woods - Michigan - springtime sees a lot of weather changes in a short amount of time.

I haven't noticed any other physical symptoms coinciding with weather patterns. I do have to be careful with my bipolar because it tends to get a bit riled up in the spring/early summer, and shoved down in the late fall/early winter.

Comment

I'm in Michigan, too! I haven't really noticed any changes in my MS symptoms, but I definitely get migraines whenever a storm is brewing. This has been happening to me for years!
                      I often will take a sudafed or other nasal decongestant on those days and it seems to help.

Comment

Working...
                      X