Which Supplements are best for MS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Supplements are best for MS?

Hi, I was diagnosed 14 months ago and I'm finding there is still so much to learn. I have read (in passing through a few threads) that a number of people here are on supplements along with DMDs for MS. My neurologist has so far not advised me to take anything other than the Copaxone he started me on.

Some vitamins etc I noted people are taking are Vit D and Vit B12, and also Omegas 3-6-9.

Can anyone help with sharing what they know about these sort of 'over the counter' or non-prescribed medications? Ie why they are appropriate for people with MS? If there are other supplements anyone wants to share I'd appreciate it!

Thanks,
    Jen

Supplements

Hi Jen,

What you've mentioned are great. I would also note that you should take Vit D3 (make sure you get the "D3"). I take 5000 mgs. a day. Very important to get the D as an MSer (research has found many MSers are low).

I'll be interested in hearing others weigh in on this as well, I'm certainly not an expert on the issue.

Comment

I am not an expert and would like to see the responses that you get. I would say that you need to ASK your doctor to INCLUDE B-12 and, especially, vitamin D in your blood tests. It is common that a lot of MSers have very low vitamin D levels. Good luck

Comment

Along with vitamin D3, you should do a little research on these supplements:

Curcumin
        (extract from the spice Tumeric)

Google: curcumin multiple sclerosis

Alpha Lipoic Acid

Google: alpha lipoic acid multiple sclerosis

Alpha Lipoic Acid is currently in clinical trial for secondary progressive MS.

N Acetyl Glucosamine

Google: n acetyl glucosamine multiple sclerosis

I take all three daily.

I also would consider taking 600mg Malic Acid 3-4X daily along with Magnesium as it will help if you have any fatigue issues and shows efficacy with other autoimmune conditions like Psoriasis and Fibromyalgia.

Malic Acid is good for skin and is often found in cosmetics and toothpaste. Malic Acid is highly concentrated in apples and consequently, apple cider vinegar. Google "apple cider vinegar multiple sclerosis" and you'll find it is a folk remedy for MS symptoms.

I personally think Malic Acid and Fumaric Acid work in similar ways in regards to Psoriasis. Tecfidira, the new MS drug, is "fumaric acid esters", a concentrated form of Fumaric Acid, and is also used to treat Psoriasis.

What's good for your skin may also be good for your MS.

Comment

Thank YOU Knuckle...I'll be on all those soon!

That post otta be a sticky for everyone to consider!

Here is a little bit more specific info on Tumeric/Curcumin:
          http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=130184 fed

Comment

Which supplements are good for MS

Hi Jen,

Deficiency of Essential Fats & Cholesterol Deficiencies (Omega 3,6,9 & Selenuim) one of the diseases resulting from this deficiency is MS I can recommend products for both of these deficiencies.

Comment

Originally posted by knuckle View Post
              Along with vitamin D3, you should do a little research on these supplements:

Curcumin
              (extract from the spice Tumeric)

Google: curcumin multiple sclerosis

Alpha Lipoic Acid

Google: alpha lipoic acid multiple sclerosis

Alpha Lipoic Acid is currently in clinical trial for secondary progressive MS.

N Acetyl Glucosamine

Knuckle

I see online there are several different versions of NAG, where do you get yours and what type do you take? Can you list where you get the malic acid too, please?
              Echo
              DX 2007 Started Ocrevus on 2/14/2018

"Some where over the rainbow...."

Comment

I take the following daily... its a bit ridiculous, I admit... but every one is backed by some form of clinical trial with positive results and it costs about the same as a cup of Starbucks coffee daily.

I buy all my powders, turmeric and malic acid from "My Spice Sage" online. Malic acid is a main ingredient in gummy bears

The testosterone and anti-aromatase I am taking due to a study that showed low test in female subjects and high Estradiol or E2 in male subjects. E2 is an estrogen derived from testosterone, the body seeks to balance the 2 sex hormones but it is high in male MS patients. The aromatase enzyme is what converts it, so in theory blocking that could correct the issue. Estrogen is inflammatory and testosterone anti-inflammatory which is how they explain the 3:1 ratio of women to men with all autoimmune illnesses.

4.5mg - LDN (obvious)
                20mg - Copaxone (obvious)
                240mg - Psorex (mono-ethyl fumerate similar to di-methyl fumarate or BG12)
                1200mg - Vitamin B12 (neurological benefit)
                1500- 2000mg - Malic Acid (feeds krebs cycle)
                600mg - Alpha Lipoic Acid (feeds krebs cycle, anti-oxidant)
                20mg - Bioperine (increases absorption of supplements specifically turmeric or cucumin by 2000% 3 zeros no typo)
                1000- 1500mg - Acetyl L-Cartinine (anti-oxidant)
                4000mg - Turmeric Powder (anti-inflammatory)
                3000mg - Creatine (cell volume support)
                6000IU - Vitamin D (krebs cycle, anti-oxidant, immune support)
                200mg - Magnesium (many people are deficient in this mineral)
                1000mg - Flax Oil (3,6,9 support)
                1000mg - Omega 3
                100mg - CoQ10 (Ubiquinol - krebs support)
                5000IU - Biotin (excessive Malic acid causes a deficiency in Biotin)
                1000mg - Inosine (anti-oxidant positive clinical trials with MS)
                Multivitamin (every other day to keep up levels of minerals)
                100mg - Diindolylmethane (hormone support)
                Natural Testosterone Booster (3200mg D-Aspartic Acid, 600mg Testofen, 100mg LJ100, 50mg Zinc - hormone support)
                Acacetin Anti Aromatase (50mg 4'-Methoxy-5,7-dihydroxyflavone - hormone support)

Comment

I personally only take the supplements my doctors prescribe for me. I know too many people who have gotten themselves into trouble self-prescribing and mixing supplements.

Having said that, I take:

Vitamin D (in response to low blood levels)
                  B-12 (also in response to low blood levels)
                  Fish Oil (for general anti-imflammatory effects)

And I periodically have to take iron, to correct anemia due to menorrhagia, but I let my doctor tell me when since I hate taking supplemental iron.

Comment

Originally posted by Special Kay View Post
                    I personally only take the supplements my doctors prescribe for me. I know too many people who have gotten themselves into trouble self-prescribing and mixing supplements.
                    That's good advice... I spend a significant amount of time researching supplements and dosages to see if there are interactions. If your not willing to spend the time and effort, stick to your doctors advice. I still run my regimen by the neurologist and GP annually.

Comment

I am actually shocked that your doctor prescribes anything.
                      My neuro is up on the vit-D but both him and my GP admit they know nothing of nutrition as they are never educated in it
                      1995-symptoms with no cause
                      2000-diagnosed with Probable MS.
                      2000/1-started Avonex
                      2002-Rebif b/c increasing brain plaques
                      Nov-13-Tecfidera b/c needle fatigue&sympt

Comment

When I was first diagnosed 3.5 years ago, I jumped on the supplement bandwagon. I continued to add new supplements that were said to have an impact on MS.

After my continued progression, I recently decided to cut back. I was tried of popping all the pills, and as someone else so wisely said, "Supplements won't cure MS; at best they'll work at the margins."

I'm now conservative and pretty much like Special Kay; Vit. D, B12, Fish Oil, Probiotic, Magnesium (helps with Ampyra), and Tumeric. However, since I'm 62, I don't know that I need anti-inflammatories any longer, so I might cut back there. too.

Recommendation: Be judicious.

Comment

I have heard these can help too

I don't take it because I felt it was costly, but I've read and heard from other MS'ers that Protandim can help significantly with energy. I read somewhere else where a neurologist said the dosages of the different antioxidants in there are not high enough.

My nutritionist highly recommended laminine. I don't understand the science behind it but I am going to try it. Face it, even with drugs a lot of the times they don't know exactly how things work sometimes or why. My psychiatrist told me that is especially true with psychotropic meds. Also with some of the DMARDs... they know they work and can measure that but the exact mechanism isn't known. I'm willing to try just about anything and if it helps, great; it not, at least I tried. That's how I finally broke down and tried Tysabri, and am so glad I did!

Comment

I take D, B12 and Omega3s.

Comment

Originally posted by Kronk View Post
                              I take the following daily... its a bit ridiculous, I admit... but every one is backed by some form of clinical trial with positive results and it costs about the same as a cup of Starbucks coffee daily.

I buy all my powders, turmeric and malic acid from "My Spice Sage" online. Malic acid is a main ingredient in gummy bears

The testosterone and anti-aromatase I am taking due to a study that showed low test in female subjects and high Estradiol or E2 in male subjects. E2 is an estrogen derived from testosterone, the body seeks to balance the 2 sex hormones but it is high in male MS patients. The aromatase enzyme is what converts it, so in theory blocking that could correct the issue. Estrogen is inflammatory and testosterone anti-inflammatory which is how they explain the 3:1 ratio of women to men with all autoimmune illnesses.

4.5mg - LDN (obvious)
                              20mg - Copaxone (obvious)
                              240mg - Psorex (mono-ethyl fumerate similar to di-methyl fumarate or BG12)
                              1200mg - Vitamin B12 (neurological benefit)
                              1500- 2000mg - Malic Acid (feeds krebs cycle)
                              600mg - Alpha Lipoic Acid (feeds krebs cycle, anti-oxidant)
                              20mg - Bioperine (increases absorption of supplements specifically turmeric or cucumin by 2000% 3 zeros no typo)
                              1000- 1500mg - Acetyl L-Cartinine (anti-oxidant)
                              4000mg - Turmeric Powder (anti-inflammatory)
                              3000mg - Creatine (cell volume support)
                              6000IU - Vitamin D (krebs cycle, anti-oxidant, immune support)
                              200mg - Magnesium (many people are deficient in this mineral)
                              1000mg - Flax Oil (3,6,9 support)
                              1000mg - Omega 3
                              100mg - CoQ10 (Ubiquinol - krebs support)
                              5000IU - Biotin (excessive Malic acid causes a deficiency in Biotin)
                              1000mg - Inosine (anti-oxidant positive clinical trials with MS)
                              Multivitamin (every other day to keep up levels of minerals)
                              100mg - Diindolylmethane (hormone support)
                              Natural Testosterone Booster (3200mg D-Aspartic Acid, 600mg Testofen, 100mg LJ100, 50mg Zinc - hormone support)
                              Acacetin Anti Aromatase (50mg 4'-Methoxy-5,7-dihydroxyflavone - hormone support)
                              Great list Cronk. definately some I need to add. have you researched inosine?

im just hesitant of.copaxone.as im.currently one year into being CIS and there are so many other health issues I want to fix first. .

Comment

Working...
                              X