Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More frequent Charlie Horses, but is it MS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More frequent Charlie Horses, but is it MS?

We all know that people with MS have cramps and Charlie horses but people who don't have MS have them too. I've heard that low levels of calcium or low magnesium or low
    vitamin D or a combination of this trio being deficient can cause Charlie horses and cramps in the feet. I currently have very low levels of vitamin D. My appitite is poor and I eat like a bird. Could this be causing more spasticity? I tried to make a thread about this earlier but it never showed up on the board. I had a painful jab in the elbow like a knitting needle stuck me and then electric shocks ran along my arm to my hand. After 5 minutes it was gone.
    Show 'em who's got guts. Don't back down - Brian Wilson
    ******Surfer ED******

Dehydration can cause muscle cramps also. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water and not just tea, coffee or soda.

Maybe a nutritional drink like ensure could help you out with some of your dietary issues. My daughter has had health issues that made it nearly impossible to gain weight - she blended a whole banana with 1 ensure each day. She didn't gain weight but it did help her vitamin levels.

I don't eat much either - I keep baby food in the cupboard to help me get some food in my body. I just don't get hungry or have a big appetite. The smaller servings prevent too much waste. Its not delicious but it serves its purpose.

Comment

I can tell a difference if it's not in my back or neck for some reason. Spasticity seems to hang on for hours or days, whereas a regular cramp is shorter lived. The other difference for me is, spasticity doesn't involve the entire muscle but can only be a part of it. It comes on more slowly and dissipates more slowly as well.

If you take a multivitamin, drink plenty of fluids, and aren't overworking, it might give you your answer. But what you're describing doesn't sound like a regular cramp that I've ever had.

I'm also finding out that what I thought was a strained muscle in the past was most likely the first signs of spasticity, because now they come on even without activity. And I'm pretty religious about my water and multivitamins these days, including the high dose vitamin D plus extra calcium.
      I do not have MS. I have Whatchamacallit; and all of the symptoms are mirages.

Comment

Sorry you are having trouble with spasms. I have had issues with spasticity that eventually led to a Baclofen pump.

I still get tight and at time break through spasms but it certainly has made a huge difference. My biggest problem now is that the spasms decided to begin above the area that my pump can help.

Low potassium also can increase muscle spasms. And I agree about being dehydrated. It doesn't take much and in the summer it is easier to become dehydrated.

What if you made slushies with fruit, yougurt, ice, or juice. You would add nutrition and water at the same time you were keeping yourself cool.

And I also read somewhere about putting a bar of ivory soap in the bottom of the bed- without the wrapper. I was skeptical but willing to try it. And it seemed to help.

I have no idea why and don't really care as long as I get the same results!

Comment

All of my vitamin levels are fine, i drink 8-10 glasses of water per day, take vitamin supplements even tho my levels tested fine and i get charlie horses frequently in my calves & feet constantly. Didn't have them before all this started so i don't know if they're related or not. Either way, i empathize with you! They hurt!
          "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference" Reinhold Niebuhr

Comment

Working...
          X