tight painful legs and calves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tight painful legs and calves?

For the past two days my calves started to get tight...I mean, so tight that I feel like I'm on the verge of a charly-horse. When I walk I have to walk on my heels so my legs don't cramp up on me. I tried to do some basic stretching but the pain gets horrible, then when I stand up it grabs so badly that it almost pulls me to the ground. I can feel the tightness in my legs like the muscles are in a constant state of contraction, the muscles feel hard like rocks and its awful painful!

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem??

Yesterday wasn't a good day for me, at the store I dropped a jar of spaghetti sauce, dozen eggs, and a gallon of milk that spatted all over the floor, I was like a walking tornado!

Hi Unsupported,

I do have this...
    if it goes away with TonicWater it´s a normal cramp.
    If not it is one of my newme symptoms.

Since i started Copaxone this Month it was worse the first week probably due to the stress of this new addition to my life or a possible side effect from the Cop itself.

Again this is purely observational on my behalf.
    Floating is helpful for me in this situation.
    Isolation tank float.

Yoga you can try or a nice soak in the bathtub....

Hope you find your answer.
    good luck
    ww
    zzzzzzzzzz

Comment

Thanks Frecklebrat for the advice. We don't have a bathtub in our home, so I just stand in the shower and try to let the water hit the back of my legs, well, not the same as a soak but helps temporarily.

Never thought to use tonic water (Again nobody has educated me on what MS does) but Ill give it a try. I woke up today and my legs are more rigid than yesterday and the pain is about the same, but I try to keep moving.

Thanks again

Comment

unsupported,

What it sounds like you are experiencing is called Spasticity and can be quite common in those with MS.

There are medications that can help as well as exercises. Working with a Physical Therapist can also be helpful.

Heat from a heating pad or electric blanket can also help with spasticity.

Here is some information about spasticity:
        http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...ity/index.aspx
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

unsupported, forgive me if this post twice. my computer has a mind of its own today.
          i agree w/ frecklebrat. warm, not hot, water whether soaking or flowing might help.
          sorry to hear stretching is out. that's usually helps me. maybe in shower you can put hands on either side of corner & lean into it. PT taught me that one - just don't slip!
          drink lots of water & bananas help. they certainly don't hurt.
          I'd call dr. if not better today. you need to tell them about new sx.
          i take tramadol (for yrs) to make the leg pain manageable. cdnt stand it (no pun intended) if i cdnt take it.
          how embarrassing at the store. I've done that at home, but never (that i remember) at store. dog loves when i spill stuff. LOL
          God bless ya
          "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

Consider a couple of things first.

Tight calves, tendons, etc. can be caused by the drug Levaquin ( or any of the floxin or quinalone meds); there is even a law suit involving this.

It can also occur if you are taking medications for cholesterol.

Just wanted to mention that.

Otherwise, tonic water is supposed to ease this problem.

Good Luck.

Diane
            You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

Originally posted by unsupported View Post
              For the past two days my calves started to get tight...I mean, so tight that I feel like I'm on the verge of a charly-horse. When I walk I have to walk on my heels so my legs don't cramp up on me. I tried to do some basic stretching but the pain gets horrible, then when I stand up it grabs so badly that it almost pulls me to the ground. I can feel the tightness in my legs like the muscles are in a constant state of contraction, the muscles feel hard like rocks and its awful painful!

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem??
              yes, omg. Yes, a lot. Stretching helps, very little. Some sort of muscle relaxer helps the most.

Comment

New Drug Option

I've heard that 4-ap or the new Amprya helps with this symptom. I'm going to give this a try. If you want to go natural, try stretching, alkaline water and some exercise.
                [I]Tellnhelen
                Progressive Relapsing MS

Comment

I have had this problem for a while. I am going to try that Amprya/fampridine SR medicine.

Comment

I have had problems with my legs for years. My quads feel like they are splitting apart. The doc gives me a muscle relaxer for that. But sometimes I cant get out of the bed until i have taken something and let it work b4 i get in the shower or start the day. If the pain starts the day way ahead of me, I can never catch up. My upper body seems ok for the most part. I have optic neuritis in my left eye. But I have a ton of neuropathy in my feet and the legs just stay to a throbbing point all day long. Its so frustrating.

Comment

Leg Pain

I know what you living thru with the leg pain and stiffness. I tried the tonic water, the stretching, but that was only a temporary fix. I just started taking Cymbalta and all (but 5%) of my pains and stiffness went away. My mood got better too!. Good luck and feel better!

Comment

Sounds like spasticity. It's awful!! I felt like ripping the skin right off my legs. The tightness was horrific!!

Called my neuro and he put me on Baclofen. Works wonders for me!

Hope you get some relief soon!

Comment

Hi there,

I have also been experiencing leg spasms and have been on baclofen for a little while.
                          I have also found that getting regular massages from a therapist helps a lot as well. It tends to be quite painful when she is working on my legs but they feel awesome for a good time after wards.
                          It may sound counter-intuitive but I have also found that regular leg exercise has helped in my situation. I am still able to ride a bike and have found that doing an hour ride every other day helps control the spasms.

Keep positive and smiling!

Arthur
                          " An eye for an eye; and soon the whole world is blind" -- Mahatma Ghandi

Comment

Totally

I have been dealling with this for years so I feel your pain~lol! No pun intended

I look forward to see'ng some good advice.
                            Brandy
                            aka Domestic Godess

Comment

I can usually stop this getting too bad if it is during the day by doing a few yoga stretches and sitting up straight and making sure my legs are rested on a foot rest, nice and straight and relaxed at the correct angle for me.

I have a hot water bottle to hand with pleasantly hot but not too hot water and I can put them under my legs if they have become too cool or cold.

Then a gentle massage to ease it if possible.

Sometimes these things are just not enough and you don't catch them soon enough so it is medication time.

Same with the MS hug, it can be lessened or stopped if you catch it really quickly sometimes.

Comment

Working...
                              X