Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is gluten/dairy free really successful?

Hi all,

After being diagnosed with possible MS I have been researching healthy ways to stop the disease in its tracks. I have come across people who say to go completely gluten and dairy free. Right now I am reading a book which states that one can eat gluten - whole grains only - but that being diary free is most important. I have also read not to eat red meat for the first year and other articles that state not to eat meat at all. I did go as gluten free as possible but with a little dairy (mainly just ingredients in the gluten free crackers) and I haven't eaten red meat since the diagnosis. I am so confused though as to which diet is most successful! Does anyone have any advice or could share their own experiences with me?

I will be perfectly honest with you. The week I decided to go dairy free, I began to lose weight and I feel less bloated. I don't do a religious job of keeping gluten free but I do not drink or eat dairy products. I have been able to keep weight off (+ or - 5 lbs.) for almost a year. I feel the McDougall or Swank diet does the best job of providing recipes to live by. Good luck

Comment

Went gluten free first and no change, went dairy free a few weeks later and within 4 days the buzzing in my foot dropped enormously. That convinced me. Been dairy/gluten free for 1.5 years. The upside- junk food disappears from your cabinet as baking is a bit of a hassle, not impossible, but more work. Downside- no pizza with cheese unless you go the soy route and I´ve only broken down once (this week) for soy mozzarella on a burrito. Daiya cheese is horrible- yes, it melts, but the taste is awful. There are studies dating back DECADES linking casein to MS. You will notice a huge decrease in mucus production by going dairy free. It will make you a bit of a label reader nut- but every time I´ve asked myself, "Dairy or mobility?" Mobility wins every time. Give it a try, you´ve got nothing to lose, but go 100% or don´t bother. If you go about a month without and then test it by eating dairy or gluten and get a physical reaction- there´s your proof.

Comment

Originally posted by Temagami View Post
        "Dairy or mobility?" Mobility wins every time. Give it a try, you´ve got nothing to lose, but go 100% or don´t bother. If you go about a month without and then test it by eating dairy or gluten and get a physical reaction- there´s your proof.
        Yes, you certainly have nothing to lose. I really like your reasoning, Temagami.

Stephledo25, you are doing the right thing by researching your options. I understand your confusion as I went through the same. There is data to support many of the options but you just have to listen to your own body, follow your heart, your head, and do what works for you. There are many here who are gluten, legume free and have had wonderful results. There are some, like me, following the OMS plan who also feel well.

(URL removed as it went to the main MSW Forum Page - please try again.)

Swank, McDougall, Paleo, OMS.... so many options. You really can't go wrong with any of them.

Best of luck with your decision and your journey. Whatever you decide, you will be happy that you are doing something so positive for your health.
        Meet me in a land of hope and dreams. -Bruce Springsteen

Comment

Paleo Diet and me...

In 2006 I was diagnosed with RRMS, the neurologists recommended Copaxone. After reading the side effects of the drug vs the benefits, I chose to take the diet route. I started on the Paleo diet. After a month on the diet, I noticed I was having less "bad days" after two full months on the diet, I was no longer having bad days. I was so excited about the improvements in my health it was easy to stick to the diet. I am going to be honest, I was obsessive complusive about being faithful to the diet. That was 6 years ago and I have just gotten better and better. Today, I have no MS symptoms and even some none MS related issues, like acid reflux and chronic depression are gone. Today at 61, my BP and cholesterol are perfect, I feel fabulous, have no aches or pains and sleep like a baby. I believe the Paleo diet has been key to my MS remission.
          ~joni
          Diagnosed with RRMS in 2006 but plagued with symptoms for 25 years. Currently taking no medications, treating with diet and supplements only and successfully.

Comment

Working...
          X