MS Low Body Temp & Thyroid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS Low Body Temp & Thyroid?

I had my annual phsyical this week. 1 question I had was about possable thyroid issue. My famdoc seemed to dismiss the cold and hair loss issues as age and MS. He poked around my throat and decided no thyroid testing is justified. He suggested trying rogane for the hair loss.

I tend to get cold easily, especially when my caloric intake and weight are down a bit. Both hit a low this summer. So I increased my callorie intake (and insulin to match, I am on MDI) and my body temp went back up, but so did my weight, 5-6lbs in 2 months. I was so cold I used flannel sheets in summer plus a blanket. I have had a seperate cold issue where I got very chilled despite no fever and warm weather, but that one came and went away.

Back in 1971 my employer sent me to a company doc before going on an out of town assignment. He ordred a RAIU thyroid test and put me on a thyroid med. I had a problem trying to get it refilled out of town (remember this was '71, no problem these days). I stopped taking it when the first fill ran out. I don't recall any reason or benifits taking it back then, so I did not bother refilling it when I returned about 6 months later or going back to the doc.

With the recent hair loss issue I searched on the topic and thyroid popped up as one possability. My MS Neuro said it was not MS or Copaxone related.

Now I feel like MS is going to become the catch-all and delay or block any checking on other possable issues. I know my diabetes delayed my formal MS dx by decades, the diabetes was previously blamed for everything.

I see a good endo for my diabetes at a local hosp based diabetes center. My printed treatment plan lists thyroid as well as microalbumin to be checked on a regular basis, but they have NEVER done either. Half the time they never check my feet either.

My body temp usually runs 97.0-97.7 but went down to a chilling 96.5, kinda cool to me, or at least I felt that way.

Maybe I don't currently have a thyroid issue, but I would think they should at least check it once every decade or so, considering my past history, not too mention having both MS and diabetes.

I am tempted, if I can streach my budget, having thyroid lab test done on my own, instead of investing in rogane.

What to YOU think?

DocGomer Doctor of, Been There, Done That.

Hi Gomer:
    Although infrequent, hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism are listed in the official prescribing information as adverse effects of Copaxone. That alone should justify testing for thyroid homone levels. Your doctor can't quibble with the official prescribing information!

And even though it's not mentioned as a side effect in the prescribing information, people on Copaxone have reported some thinning of their hair. There has been at least one thread here on the forum about it.

Comment

Thanks RedWings.......

I will look up one of those LONG side effects list that comes with my Copaxone.

I asked my MS neuro last time if my hair loss could be from the copaxone and he said NO.

BUT.......

If Copaxone can affect thyroid levels, that in turn could (indirectly) be related to the hair loss. I did not notice the hair loss until after I started Copaxone this spring.
      So far I have not had any complications from the Copaxone.

DocGomer Doctor of, Been There, Done That.

Comment

Hey Gomer

I too have a low core body temp (usually between 35 and 36.5 (sorry dont know conversion)), i suffer in the cold big time. I lose my hair too, over the last few weeks I had noticed out bathroom sink was not draining well and I decided to check the U bend, well after dismantling the pipework discovered a huge foot long sausage of my hair clogging it. My doc sticks it on as a matter of course.

Jo

Comment

low body temp

Gomer,
          I have a low body temp also around 36C, normal is 36.6-36.8. For me if I have something around 37.1 it feels as if I had a fever. I am also on Copaxone, and I had some low TSH levels within the normal range, 1.4 but on the other hand the T3 and T4 were normal. My alkaline phosphatase levels were 16 which is way below normal and would be indicative of thyriod issues yet my doctor didn't even wink. I gained about twenty pounds during the Summer that I can't lose now. And I only have bad hair days
          RRMS Diagnosed December 2009,
          on Copaxone December 2009-October 2011 -
          Starting interferons hopefully soon.

Comment

Working...
          X