long term disability question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

long term disability question?

Is it quite a process to get approval for long term disability through work insurance plans? I can picture it like an inquisition... but if neuro and doctor say that one can not perform job duties or return to a position, is that enough? Are there many people who do end up not able to work due to many different MS reasons which affect their job? Does fatigue count as one of the criteria? Is there a good website to get more info?

Thanks!

From what I read while I was in the process of applying for Long Term Disability through my work, and from what my neuro told me, what they're interested in is whether your disability is "severe" and "prolonged."

Fatigue was one of the main reasons I had to stop working. I had trouble walking as well, but that's not really a reason by itself - many people use a wheelchair for various reasons and can still work... The fatigue affected my concentration and stamina and made it difficult to get through a day and to perform my duties well.

I had heard that it could be a lengthy process, but for me it went very quickly after everything was submitted. They called me twice to ask some questions, and after a couple of months I was approved.

There were forms for me to fill out, and ones for my employer and my doctor. On my form, there wasn't anywhere for me to describe my symptoms or how they affected my working or my everyday life, so I wrote out a couple of pages itemizing all that, and asked my neuro to submit it with his form.

I got a lot of info from a guide published by the BC MS Society. It's for applying to CPP Disability but a lot of the info is very useful for LTD applications too. (Also, most likely your insurance company will make you apply for CPP-D as well).
    http://mssociety.ca/bc/PDF/cpp.PDF

My advice, for what it's worth, would be to talk to your neuro in advance, tell them the reasons you're applying, and make sure they're in agreement with you.

It's a bit stressful waiting for the decision, but I hope it goes well for you if and when you apply.

Comment

Thanks StillOK
      Your reply us greatly appreciated. So true about fatigue,stamina and concentration...I'm just starting to consider this, and it's good to hear other people's experiences. I do have a good health insurance plan with my job. I'll check the website you suggested, also.
      Thanks again and all the best your way!

Comment

Working...
      X