Your Opinion: Best Place to Live When You Have MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your Opinion: Best Place to Live When You Have MS

I had a bad cold when I went into my neuro f/u yesterday and he was talking about how the Rebif meds are actually lowering my immune system's ability to fight off colds, etc.

He mentioned it's probably better for me since I live in this AZ climate because people aren't sick as much as opposed to the colder climates where people are always getting sick in the cold, etc. He also said right now I'm at the advantage because I'm younger (33) and my body is able to fight things off easier in general.

Anyway, I wondered what your opinions are on the best areas of the U.S. to live if you have MS? I don't have a lot of MS issues right now and the super hot, dry summers here don't seem to bother me or exacerbate things that I can tell. Maybe I get worn out/tired more easily, but that's it. I feel like the humidity in other areas would be really bad.

We are an Army family so we may not be in AZ much longer, but we could have somewhat of a choice as to where we go next.

Thanks for your input! I know there are probably threads on this topic, but I couldn't find them in my quick search.

You're in it, as far as I'm concerned!

I live on the East coast (Philadephia, PA), so we get all 4 seasons. Winters here can be rough, and the humidity in the summer is downright oppressive. Spring and Fall are not long enough to give you a chance to enjoy the weather at all.

Arizona sounds good to me!
    “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
    Diagnosed 1979

Comment

I live in the mountains in Colorado...and it is the best place for me to live.

I grew up in Chicago and the hot humid summers and brutally cold winter were hard to take.

I don't think I could take the hot AZ summers. The summers here are nice, rarely even hits 90' and the winters are not bad. Lots of snow, but lots of sunshine too.

Good luck to you wherever you go!
      Opiegirl, Dx 1991
      Have never used DMD's.

LDN 9/2011-9/2012 & just started again 6/14
      Estriol 9/12-present
      Still Hopeful.

Comment

San Antonio - where humidity was invented; Houston - where it was perfected!

I'm farther south than you & live 20 miles from the Gulf of Mexico, a huge body of water that likes to live in our air ("air you can wear") from April/May to November/December. Humidity of 90%+ is a common, daily event.

(In the North, know how your glasses fog over when you walk outside in the winter? Well, mine fog over in the summer!)

SO ... if you are heat intolerant, don't come here. Well, not until December - we have GREAT winters!

As for a "perfect" climate, maybe the VA/WV/NC/SC/KY/TN area? They are all far enough south to have more mild winters & if you live inland, the coastal humidity shouldn't get too high IMO. Also decreases hurricane concerns!

OK might be a good place too. They have milder winters, not horrible summers & as long as you have a basement to hide from tornadoes , I think the climate might be good.

CO, KS & MO would have rougher winters but milder summers than AZ. No hurricane threats & fewer tornadoes than OK. They might be good options also.
        DX 10/2008
        Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
        Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
        Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

They say a dry climate is the best. I live in New England and the saying around here is "if you don't like the weather wait a minute and it will change," which isn't good if you have MS or are in limbo like myself.

Comment

Surprised no one has said this yet.

San Diego, CA for sure. Best weather in the US for MS.
            Not too hot in Summer...not too cold in Winter. Hovers between 60 - 80 degrees the entire year. No humidity.

Comment

Wherever you go, check your transportation!

I have friends in Houston who are trying to get me to move there. If you don't drive you are housebound for the most part. I visited Thanksgiving week and the weather couldn't have been better(75-78 degrees).

Our transportation is such that I will tolerate the winters to be able to go out regardless of weather.

Have scooter, will travel!
              Joanne
              Happy in downtown Chicago
              Jerry is my 20 lb cat

Comment

I have looked at a number of places. Recommended by Tom at NASA is Cloudcroft, NM. It has very nice Summer and not bad Winter, unfortunately it is a very small place. Beautiful mountains, but the 'Big City' is Alamogordo, NM. Very Hot Summers.

I live in Pittsburgh, PA which has always been very good. Fairly easy Winter and not too hot in the Summer. Unfortunately it has been getting much hotter in the Summer, usually only 3-5 days above 90, now 8-10.

Burlington, VT looks very good for the Summer, don't like the Winter though. Any Coastal areas are very humid and usually quite hot. South Florida is great in the Winter.

So, it looks like VT in the Summer and south FL in the winter. Guess I will become a 'Snow Bird'.
                Bill
                Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

Originally posted by Toomnyhats View Post
                  [B][I]OK might be a good place too. They have milder winters, not horrible summers & as long as you have a basement to hide from tornadoes , I think the climate might be good.
                  I live in OK and the winters aren't bad but Spring through Fall (April-August/September) is tornado season and the humidity is killer! Summers can get into the low 100s. My cooling vest gets a lot of use during the summer!
                  Rae Roy

Comment

I grew up in a military family, and then as an adult I kept up the habit of moving around, so I have lived in Manila, Philippines; Honolulu, San Francisco, western Washington State, Denver, northern Arizona, New Orleans, northeast Florida, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina (in the mountains), Pittsburgh, New York City, upstate New York; Paris, France; Frankfurt, Germany; and Kabul, Afghanistan.

After all those, I have to say that Western Washington is the best - almost always between 40 and 75 degrees, not much snow and cold, but also not very hot in the summer.

However, it is cloudy all the time in western Washington, and in the winter, the days are so short that it is dark all the time - sun comes up after 8 am, and sets a little after 4 pm, and in between it is cloudy all day, and often raining or snowing lightly. Great for MS, but my mood couldn't stand the dark.

So now I am on a "temporary" job in Northern Arizona; I have been here a year, and my husband is trying to get a job here too so we can stay here. At 7,000 feet, we have 4 seasons and lots of snow - but the snow melts quickly because it is sunny most days. Yet also because of the altitude, it doesn't get very hot in the summer. I think it is too hot "down in the valley" in Phoenix.

Those tropical places are way too difficult for me in the summer, too hot and humid: Manila, New Orleans, and Florida. Hawaii is OK as far as temperature and humidity, but it is just too far from family and friends on the mainland.

San Francisco has a great climate and great medical care, but it is too big and crowded, and awfully expensive as a place to live. New York, Paris and Frankfurt - all expensive, big and crowded, and too hot in the summer, cold in the winter.

Denver and Kabul - too cold in the winter, and rather warm (not impossible though) in the summer. Plus Kabul is now a combat zone.

VA, WV, and NC - tolerable summers if you are in the mountains, winters can be a little rough. Pittsburgh is kind of like that too, but I have to add, it is the nicest city I have ever lived in! But a lot of cloudy days, like western Washington.

So that's my global report - western Washington if you can take the dark, northern Arizona if you can handle a lot more snow (but it melts quick) and need lots more sunshine.

Comment

EASTERN Washington and Northern Idaho and Western Montana are as close to heaven as you can get. Unlike Western Washington it is high desert here. Warm in the summer...cold in the winter but dry. Lovely long indian summers (fall) and cool clear crisp springtimes.

Deer, bear, moose, fishing, hunting and every outdoor sport you can imagine. Property values are still reasonable for real people.

There are places here where a person can still ride a horse for days and see no one.

My real idea of heaven.

Maybe you should all just stay away!!!!!
                      Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

Originally posted by opiegirl View Post
                        I live in the mountains in Colorado...and it is the best place for me to live.

I grew up in Chicago and the hot humid summers and brutally cold winter were hard to take.

I don't think I could take the hot AZ summers. The summers here are nice, rarely even hits 90' and the winters are not bad. Lots of snow, but lots of sunshine too.

Good luck to you wherever you go!

Same here. Grew up in Milwaukee...left because the weather sucks.
                        Now I live @ 7500 feet in Colorado, much better!

If I could afford it I would move to northern California or the north west coast.... but Colorado is pretty nice.

Comment

Originally posted by tommylee View Post
                          Same here. Grew up in Milwaukee...left because the weather sucks.
                          Now I live @ 7500 feet in Colorado, much better!

If I could afford it I would move to northern California or the north west coast.... but Colorado is pretty nice.
                          Hey Tommy,
                          I live in Eagle County, love it here, 6,600Ft.

We did live in CA for 8 years. The coast is beautiful, but WAY too many people. Going camping was a joke. Here we can be out in the wilderness in just a matter of minutes.
                          Opiegirl, Dx 1991
                          Have never used DMD's.

LDN 9/2011-9/2012 & just started again 6/14
                          Estriol 9/12-present
                          Still Hopeful.

Comment

north olympic peninsula, wa

Very temperate... only about 5-7 days per year above 80 degrees. summertimes mostly in the low 70s. A bit drizzly from time to time and we do get the big winds from Pacific storms, but the lack of heat in summer is wonderful... people around here complain bitterly on the very few 85 degree days we get.

Comment

love all 4 seasons (even if i complain of the snow), so nw pa is perfect for me! i also don`t like city life, but my family owns a farm. the snow does suck as far as traveling in my wc, but i`ll put up with it as a tradeoff for our one week of spring, summer and fall good luck.

dave
                              hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
                              volunteer
                              MS World
                              hunterd@msworld.org
                              PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Working...
                              X