Feeling Really Sick After I Eat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeling Really Sick After I Eat

Severe fatigue, weakness and feeling ill has become my biggest and most debilitating problem.

Since I have these issues on an almost constant basis now, I'm understanding how easily even mild activities can exacerbate them.

But something new (and weird, to me, at least) has started to happen over the past couple months.

About 5-10 minutes after finishing a full meal (as oppose to a snack) I start to feel very ill, overwhelmingly tired, will get overheated and often sweat and often feel out of breath or like I can't breath.

I will feel ok before eating and then after the meal I will feel horrible for at least 45 minutes or longer. Often, the rest of the night.

It happens most of the time I eat a regular meal...and I'm not overeating, either. I've actually eaten meals where I HAVE eaten a lot and felt no change for the worse.

I don't know if it's because my body is using energy to digest and it's just too much of a pull on my already taxed system or if something else is going on.

Also, want to note that I notice this change from ok to bad because when I'm already feeling as bad as I'm describing, I don't ever make it to eating a meal. So I only eat meals when I'm feeling well enough to do so.

And that adds to the frustration because I spend so little of my time feeling 'ok' that it really irks me that something I have to do in order live - eat - is making me sick!

It's only in the past couple weeks that I realized this problem has become a regular occurance...but only started about 2-ish months ago...

I have no clue! There's nothing I can pinpoint that I've changed med-wise or diet wise or anything for that matter that could account for this problem.

Anyone else have problems like this?

Have you gone to your family Doctor or called them? I'd start there. That sounds more like gall bladder or esophagus problem to me. (Have both Drs communicate with each other as well.) It's tough to remember that not everything is from MS.

Good luck to you.
    Debbie

Comment

I've had a similar reaction for almost 40 yrs. I've checked with a number of docs and have yet to get an answer. The most frequent suggestion has been to check out gall bladder and diabetes issues. Let me know what you find; it sure makes socializing a difficult experience. Do pursue it. Some docs may have better information now.

Comment

Sick after eating...

I went Gluten Free a few months ago (on my own) and feel much better. I after eating normally...lots of fats, wheat and other stuff...would have difficulty with headaches, stomach issues-nausea, bloating and not always making it the the bathroom. It has been something that I encourage all to try. If you don't see or feel a difference then it wasn't causing your problems....

Comment

I do experience an overall weakness and don't feel well after I eat often. I've never narrowed down exactly what it is from but even when my MS did not affect me much when I was younger; I noticed a difference in my vision after a meal that got better after 15 minutes or so.

I have progressed over the years and experience a profound weakness after I eat - that again subsides after 15-20 minutes.

I've mentioned it to doctors with no explanation. Only thing I can think of is the energy used to eat ? (sounds odd I know) or maybe more from hot meals as well.

Not really a 'sick' feeling - but not a good feeling for sure.

Comment

Food sensitivity

I recently learned that it's possible to develop food sensitivities later in life. One friend of mine kept feeling awful - NOT the typical allergic reaction kind of thing. Turns out she has a carrot allergy. And they are in a lot of processed food - anything that uses "broth", or as coloring in red, yellow, or orange foods (check a yogurt label sometime!).

Anyway, I'd suggest you keep a detailed food diary, including when you start to feel bad, and what happens. After about 2 weeks (or more, if you like), look to see if there's anything in common - from the food you ate, to the time of day, to the days you take a particular medication. And discuss it with your GP. You might even go see the GP 20-30 minutes after a meal so s/he sees the symptoms and can't ignore them.

Good luck!

Comment

If you go to your GP ask them to run a blood test for antibodies for gluten. This will screen you for Celiac disease. I have MS and celiac.
              You need to do this bloodtest before you cut gluten out of your diet, otherwise you might not get an accurate result.
              Hope you find out what is the true cause of the problem soon.

Comment

thanks for the responses =)

will have to check in with my pcp soon just in case. my only other guess was it was just taking up too much energy to digest the food!

Comment

I have this problem but it affects my optic neuritis. After I eat my eyesight gets really bad. Even when my optic neuritis is not bad it still gets really bad after I eat. At the moment my optic neuritis is real bad and after I eat at the moment I* can not see my computer at work at all after I eat. It is a real problem
                  Diagnosed 10 years.
                  Started Ty in Sept 2011

Comment

Originally posted by NickyOz View Post
                    I have this problem but it affects my optic neuritis. After I eat my eyesight gets really bad. Even when my optic neuritis is not bad it still gets really bad after I eat. At the moment my optic neuritis is real bad and after I eat at the moment I* can not see my computer at work at all after I eat. It is a real problem
                    so this and a couple other comments really makes me wonder if there isn't some tie between the energy it takes to process/digest a meal and it triggering other ms related issues or just sucking up energy that normally is routed to help other areas of our bodies function. things that make ya go hmmm.

Comment

I agree with what many have said here. Have your GP check your gall bladder.

Comment

Working...
                      X