Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you too tired to take care of yourself?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

YOU GO GIRL!

Originally posted by lessaleew View Post
    It is getting hard for me to care about hair and makeup. Why bother when i have alergic reactions to everything and the MS hug makes wearing a bra a living nightmare.
    Yeah...who invented bras, pantyhose, "shapewear" and make-up anyway? Why can't we just be. and not beat ourselves up about not meeting some unobtainable standard of beauty!
    Tawanda

Comment

Right out of my own thoughts...

Wow! I kept thinking is it really this bad for everyone, or is it just me? I'm so sorry that we are all here sharing these likenesses that suck so much. The bra thing, ugh! I can totally relate. I have to force myself everyday to brush my hair and put on makeup. I figure just cause I feel like crap, I dont have to look like crap. But damn, it's hard! I just dont have the energy to keep up with this. If I could sleep for two days, I would. But who can sleep with these awful night sweats from these meds and this cramping in my arm and hands.
      Courage is NOT the absence of fear, it is going forward in spite of fear. Diagnosed 5/27/10

Comment

Originally posted by gypsy View Post
        Wow! I kept thinking is it really this bad for everyone, or is it just me? I'm so sorry that we are all here sharing these likenesses that suck so much. The bra thing, ugh! I can totally relate. I have to force myself everyday to brush my hair and put on makeup. I figure just cause I feel like crap, I dont have to look like crap. But damn, it's hard! I just dont have the energy to keep up with this. If I could sleep for two days, I would. But who can sleep with these awful night sweats from these meds and this cramping in my arm and hands.
        Really, M.S. to me means life-altering (and not for the better) fatigue, and I've tried everything for it. It is at the root of all my M.S. problems.

TAWANDA
        p.s. I like your saying on your signature line (Mark Twain?).
        Tawanda

Comment

Personal hygiene is one area where I won't skimp: at least not on the basics. I'm the kind of person who showers multiple times a day in the summer if I go out and get sweaty, or in the Spring cuz I want to wash allergens off and not bring them into my bed. I like a shower at night, but if I had sweats during the night, I take one in the morning too. I have ultra baby-fine blonde straight hair that gets "greasy" looking really easily and quickly. It's the main reason for my showers. Lol! I've always been a fast shower girl though. I use a combo shampoo and conditioner unless my hair is long, and I'm usually in and out in 5 mins except when I shave my legs, which is only when I'll be wearing shorts, capris, a swimsuit, or dress or skirt if I ever wore them. Lol!

I'm a comfy clothes person and always have been. I basically live in PJs, but I have different ones I wear to bed than during the day. At night I sleep in nightshirts or nightgowns. During the day it's cotton pj pants and tank tops in summer or knit or flannel pants and sweatshirts in Winter.

I've been sick with the arthritis disease for about 2 1/2 years and with hubby working from home and the kids' school right across the street, I rarely have to leave the house.

My hubby knows I'm REALLY feeling bad if I don't shower. He knows it's serious then. Showers always make me feel a little better about myself. I just can't stand feeling dirty at all. When I couldn't shower after my back surgery for 3 days, it was like torture. I had hubby help me with a baby wipe "bath". I crawled into the shower the minute I could, and showered daily, even though I was on strict bedrest for 2 weeks. That's just how I am. I'm also that way about brushing my teeth and washinh my face. When my back is too sore to lean over the sink at night, I use baby wipes.

I do also have a shower chair from after my back surgery. It's great for shaving legs or for taking longer showers to ease my joints with the hot water(which lately makes my symptoms worse).

As far as makeup, eh. I don't wear any unless I'm going out. I have short hair that's very simple to fix too, but I hate drying it. It hurts my arthritic hand and shoulder. I let it air dry unless we're going somewhere soon.

Comment

OUTED BY AN 8 YEAR OLD!

My husband and I picked my DD up from her last day of school today and stood out in the hallway while the kids were being dismissed. My husband heard my daughter's classmate whispering to another classmate, "Did you see what DD's Mother is wearing (refering to me)?!?

Granted, what a brat, but I could have looked better. I was in my tanktop, blue shorts, black shape up shoes and grey socks scrunched down, ponytail and no make-up. Yes, I know Black and Navy don't match, and that maybe this shirt is too small, but it's almost 90 degrees today! What stinks is that by putting no effort into my appearance when I pick her up or drop her off at school, I am making my DD look bad, whether she is aware of it or not. Little girls can be viscious, and attacking the mother is quite the popular passtime at this age. I should have known better. I'm sick, and I'm an older mother, but for my DD, I should just try that much harder.

I am not forgiving this "Mean Girl" one bit. Her Mom is on the PTA Board and she is an identical twin and thinks she's hot ****. But she's not the first, nor will she be the last "mean girl" out there, and next year, clean slate...if I have to pick out my clothes the night before like I do my DD's, I should. I can always throw a lipstick in the ash tray, too, and then get comfy an look like poo-poo once I get in the house.

I hate that we are judged so much by our appearance. It really sucks, especially when your chronically ill. This stupid kid really hurt my feelings.
            Tawanda

Comment

Hi, ladies

First, I loved the title of this thread "Too Tired To..."

I work full time, mostly at home. But I guess I am too vain not too dress/comb hair/put on minimal makeup.

Having something cute to put on helps...no matter what your size! Treat yourself to elasticized shorts and a colorful Tshirt! Luckily, I have sisters and a mom who help me be somewhat fashionable.

I take Provigil to get through the day--really suffer without it--but I'm still fatigued.

The Shower Chair has been a lifesaver.

I usually shower only every other day.

I have a lot of canes around the house and recently started using a rollator to transport me and my dinner plate to the living room.

Thanks for the tip about the electric razor. I might give that a try.

Comment

Originally posted by jerseyjenn View Post
                I usually shower only every other day.
                It's a good idea not to wash your hair everyday, anyway. It strips too much of your natural oils. On the days you do wash it, you are almost guaranteed a good hair day!
                Tawanda

Comment

Working...
                X