Painful Legs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Painful Legs

Hello! Just feeling a bit scared today as my legs are sore and painful and it is hard to walk. It started yesterday and it felt like I hiked a mountain or did a hard bike ride. I pushed through it thinking that I have muscle weakness (due to thyroid being off) and that I overdid it on my walk yesterday. However, today they still hurt and it is hard to walk. Now I am scared.

I know that it could be so much worse and it will probably be better in a couple of days, but then I also wonder could it be something else that my doctors are missing.

It has been a tough year for me and sometimes I feel guilty for feel bad and afraid, when so many of you struggle much much more so than me.

Anyhow, thanks for listening.

Hello M G M

Sorry to hear that you're having a tough time with sore, painful legs and that it is difficult for you to walk.

No need to have guilt for expressing that you are feeling bad and afraid.

You're just sharing your reality with us. (there will always be those that are worse off and those that are better off than ourselves)

It might be a good idea to write down your leg symptoms such as when, how long they last, etc. This might help the doctor figure out what could be wrong, if it is something else.

Hopefully though, the pain and soreness will go away real soon.

Take care,
    KoKo
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Some days are tough

My legs hurt too. Sometimes they hurt when I don't get enough sleep. They will hurt all day and feel very heavy. Though usually my arms hurt too when I lack sleep. Just typing on the computer is a serious undertaking. I have been walking for exercise with a friend. Some days I struggle and my friend doesn't understand yet that my legs just rebel some days. So don't feel guilty. We all have our struggles and we understand.
      Portia

Comment

I have lots of leg issues too. Still waiting for a dx but I found that when I exercise too hard I get such weakness in muscles that I can just barely stand and the muscles feel tight and cramped in my thighs and sort of stiff. Not much pain though...just a little in my thighs. But I feel your pain because I know when your legs are giving out you really feel helpless. Standing in line at the store becomes just about impossible. I had to resort to a rollator with seat so when I'm stuck in that situation I have something to sit on. Hang in there.

Comment

Hello, MyGirlsMom.

I wonder if you are experiencing spasticity. The symptoms can be pain, stiffness, and muscle spasms.

Here is some information about spasticity:
          http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...ity/index.aspx

Pain is very common with the majority of MS patients. Leg pain is something I am very familiar with and it is due to spasticity.

There are medications you can take that can help, as can exercise and stretching. My personal favorite: I use an electric blanket wraped around my legs.

Many times leg pain can happen without a known cause other than you have MS. Last night was one of those for me: I had been relaxing, got up to let the dog out and I was walking like frankenstein (Very stiff) and yes, painful.

Until that point I had been fine all day
          Diagnosed 1984
          “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Yeah, I get painful legs some times . It is hard for others to understand, except on here....They just feel heavy and hurt. I try to walk those days and sometimes, the dogs just stay in the front yard with me. Hopefully you will feel better soon.

Do not feel guilty, some days we are better or worse than someone else, but we are all here for one another.

JudySz

Comment

Understand, and hang in there.

I know the feeling. Right now I am having lots of problems with just my right leg. It feels very puny, and the muscles hurt too. It has not ever let me down, and my walking is OK, but I certainly feel it.

It makes me scared too. I just finished a 5 day course of Solumedrol (two weeks ago) so when I called the doctor, they did not offer much other than just to wait it out.

I do have medicine to help with spacticity (if thats what it is) Its called Baclofen. But it really makes me feel weak all over, which freaks me out, so I rarely take it. But some folks swear by it.

I know its hard, and what I do is try really hard to get as much rest as I can, along with stretching.
              The weakness and stiffness comes and goes for me. SO I try hard to convince myself that it will get better. It has before.

Here's hoping that yours get better too. (I think it will!) MS is horrid because unpredictable and it comes and goes which can play havoc with your emotions and fears. Don't ever feel guilty about being scared. I don't.

MSWorld gives me tons of strength to get through this stuff. knowing there are people who can relate and understand, and many times offer advice and calm when I need it MOST. Its a wonderful place, isn't it?

HANG IN THERE!!!

Comment

Thank you!

Thank you all for your comments. My legs are better today...still feeling sore, but I can walk easier and stand without holding on/leaning on a table or counter. I am taking it easy for a bit and give my body a chance to heal.

My thought is two fold: 1) it is a flare (I have had two sick kids at home this week and maybe my body is fighting off an infection); OR 2) my thyroid imbalance has made my muscles weak and sensitive.

I especially appreciate the comments on guilt and it is so true how wonderful it is to have MS World to come too. Thank you ALL for helping me not feel so alone in this bout of pain, weakness and uncertainty!! THANKS!

Comment

Working...
                X