Vitamin D level

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vitamin D level

My vitamin D level came back low at 24 dispite taking 3000 IU since august. My doctor wants me to get it to at least 50 so Im trying to take 5000 iu per day. This isn't easy for me because I forget. Is it okay to take all 5000 at same time? I think I'd have a better chance of getting them all in if I did that.

Also, my DD's came in low too. Her doctor told her to take 1000 iu yet she is already taking 2000 iu. Would 5000 iu be a good dose for her too?

Thanks for your feedback.
    DX 1988. Avenox for 6 years, Copaxone for 6 years and LDN for 3 years.

Originally posted by teacup View Post
    My vitamin D level came back low at 24 dispite taking 3000 IU since august. My doctor wants me to get it to at least 50 so Im trying to take 5000 iu per day. This isn't easy for me because I forget. Is it okay to take all 5000 at same time? I think I'd have a better chance of getting them all in if I did that.

Also, my DD's came in low too. Her doctor told her to take 1000 iu yet she is already taking 2000 iu. Would 5000 iu be a good dose for her too?

Thanks for your feedback.
    I take 5000 IU of D3 a day in a single gelcap.

Does your DD's doctor know she's already taking 2000 IU? That's information he/she should have been given. I'd suggest you ask her/him about how much to add before proceeding. (I'm assuming your DD is a child; if she's older, she should talk to her doctor herself.)

I'm not a doctor, nor is anyone else here, so I can't say whether 5000 IU would be appropriate for your daughter. It's possible to take too much D3, and the consequences can be serious.

Again, please talk to your daughter's doctor about dosage.

Comment

My neurologist said that people with MS need to take 5,000 to 6,000 IU a day. From what I understand, you can take up to 10,000 IU daily without any adverse effects. I know at one point, my doctor prescribed a 50,000 IU pill which I took once a week. I know a lot of people here have done the same.

It's funny because I just came over to this forum to post about basically the same thing. My Vitamin D blood level was 36 (which is up from the 24 it used to be), but my doctor wants it above 40, so she told me to take 3,000 IU of Vitamin D3 every day. But I'm already taking 10,000 IU every other day. Guess I'll have to start taking 10,000 IU every day.
      Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
      Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
      Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Teacup,

Are you using Vitamin D3 in a softgel? They are better obsorbed in a softgel form. I use 5000IU of NOW brand D3 (one softgel), they are very small softgels.

As far as your daughter: I agree with Sequoia. You should consult with your daughter's doctor before preceeding.
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Thank you for your responses.

DD is a sophmore in college (19). I made her take 2000 IU since she came home for the holidays in mid December. She was tested just a few days ago and it came back low (the doctor did not tell her the number). DD did inform the doctor that she was taking the supplements but the doc just told her to take an extra 1000. Maybe we should wait a while longer to see if the D she started taking in December will help her get to normal.
          It's just really concerning... I'm always terrified that she will get MS or my sons who are 16 and 22 especially since autoimune disease is very common in my very large Irish family. My brother has been digging into our family tree and found a death certificate of my great grandfather - cause of death was (something) sclerosis?
          My 16 year old son occasionally gets restless leg syndrom. We've had it checked and docs were not concerned.
          Since I tested low for D and now my DD I'm just a little paranoid.

Thanks for the tip on 5000 IU softgels. I will definitely try to find them.
          DX 1988. Avenox for 6 years, Copaxone for 6 years and LDN for 3 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Shashi View Post
            My neurologist said that people with MS need to take 5,000 to 6,000 IU a day. From what I understand, you can take up to 10,000 IU daily without any adverse effects. I know at one point, my doctor prescribed a 50,000 IU pill which I took once a week. I know a lot of people here have done the same.

It's funny because I just came over to this forum to post about basically the same thing. My Vitamin D blood level was 36 (which is up from the 24 it used to be), but my doctor wants it above 40, so she told me to take 3,000 IU of Vitamin D3 every day. But I'm already taking 10,000 IU every other day. Guess I'll have to start taking 10,000 IU every day.

That's not true. You have to get your levels checked!!!

I was low somewhere in the 40s. Started taking 5000 a day. ended up at 77 was told to go down to 3000 a day and to have it checked in two months. Everybody is different you have to have your levels checked before you start taking vit. D

Comment

Originally posted by 90STANG View Post
              That's not true. You have to get your levels checked!!!

I was low somewhere in the 40s. Started taking 5000 a day. ended up at 77 was told to go down to 3000 a day and to have it checked in two months. Everybody is different you have to have your levels checked before you start taking vit. D
              I'm not sure what you're saying isn't true. I did have my levels checked. It was 24 about a year ago. Now it's 36. My doctor wants it above 40 and told me to take 5,000 IU a day. I'm already taking 10,000 IU every other day, so was told to add an extra 10,000 IU every week.

You should only take what your doctor recommends and only after having your levels checked. But people with MS tend to have low levels.
              Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
              Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
              Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

I take mine at night before bed, all one dose; I have done so at various dosages. My level was 22; I was put on 5000IU/day D3. When it hit 40, I was lowered to 3000IU/day. 6 months later I was at 67, and am continuing on the 3000.

Shashi, for me personally, 5000-6000 might be too high long term, as 3000 is keeping me in a nice level of D. I'm glad your neuro is so proactive about adding the D, though!

Teacup, as the others have said, your doctor needs to find out her level and get a doctor's recommendation regarding what to take. Some docs see under 20 as low, others under 30, others much higher, in my experience.

Comment

My Vitamin D's HIGH!

So a couple of weeks ago, the neuro suggested I get my vitamin D levels checked. I was expecting to see it low, since I spend a lot of time inside this time of year, and it's dark and dreary in Chicago, too.

The results came in the mail today: 55.

I'm not gloating, for those of you having trouble. I'm just puzzled. I take a multivitamin, and 1200 mg D3 in tablet form if I remember to do so. Plus anything I get from dairy - I'm vegetarian, so that's why no gel capsules for me.

Just not too sure how that happened. But it's also my first D3 test, too, so I suppose there's still time to go downhill!

Wishing you all lots of sunshine!

Comment

I hear alot of people say that most with MS have a low Vit D level, according to my GP over 70% of the people he has tested with or without MS are vit D deficient, so I am not so sure about Vit D having anything to do with MS. I take 3000 IU per day to keep mine in the high 40s to low 50's but that is due to my GP testing, all 3 nueros I have seen have not had the test run.
                    Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

I've been taking 10,000 IU/day of D3 for two months now and am finally up at the high end of normal. GP wants it at least 30, rheumie wanted it at 40, others say 50, some say 70. Neuro hasn't said anything about it. I figured he figured it wasn't his domain. Prescription D2 wasn't cutting the mustard.

I figure if I'm at a high normal, I'd prefer to keep it that way. I do feel better now than when it was lower. It may or may not be connected, but whatever I'm doing is working and will stick with it.

Dropping to 5000 IU/day and will recheck in however many months.

I do not have MS. I have Whatchamacallit; and all of the symptoms are mirages.

Comment

Working...
                      X