Serrapeptase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serrapeptase

Just curious, I was searching the web today and found some information about Serrapeptase, an enzyme derived from the silkworm. There were several references to it being beneficial for MS. Has anyone had any experience with or know anything about Serrapeptase? Thanks!

Is there any "miracle product" for which the marketing copy doesn't say it's beneficial for MS?

Comment

Serrapeptase (Serratiopeptidase) is an anti-inflammatory agent. Reducing inflammation is generally considered to be a good thing for MS.

Unfortunately, the broader claims made for Serrapeptase by supplement manufacturers are not backed by solid research.

Comment

Originally posted by storyteller58 View Post
        Just curious, I was searching the web today and found some information about Serrapeptase, an enzyme derived from the silkworm. There were several references to it being beneficial for MS. Has anyone had any experience with or know anything about Serrapeptase? Thanks!
        Yes, I used to use it a lot in the 90s for pain and inflammation. I have better things now. Which are targeted to solve the general body inflammation, and that reduces pain. When I have a specific pain person- initially we may use boswellia to make em feel better.

I think its one of those try it and see what results you get.
        NutritionTara
        Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

I take a number of supplements that said to reduce inflammation, including some systemic enzymes. One of the enzymes that it includes is Serrapeptase.

I've also been reading a lot about digestive enzymes, lately, and how they can help to mitigate the damage that gluten supposedly causes.

I am currently not experiencing any gluten intolerance symptoms, and, because I'm careful about simple carbs (for weight loss reasons), my gluten consumption is already low. However, I'm not convinced that eating any gluten at all means that reducing gluten is absolutely useless. I know that many gluten-free advocates will disagree with me, however, there is another school of thought that says, with digestive enzymes, there can be a little flexibility with gluten consumption. I just got my first bottle of digestive enzymes, and am planning to add them to my supplements tomorrow.

~ Faith
          ~ Faith
          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
            I take a number of supplements that said to reduce inflammation, including some systemic enzymes. One of the enzymes that it includes is Serrapeptase.

I've also been reading a lot about digestive enzymes, lately, and how they can help to mitigate the damage that gluten supposedly causes.

I am currently not experiencing any gluten intolerance symptoms, and, because I'm careful about simple carbs (for weight loss reasons), my gluten consumption is already low. However, I'm not convinced that eating any gluten at all means that reducing gluten is absolutely useless. I know that many gluten-free advocates will disagree with me, however, there is another school of thought that says, with digestive enzymes, there can be a little flexibility with gluten consumption. I just got my first bottle of digestive enzymes, and am planning to add them to my supplements tomorrow.

~ Faith
            Thanks Faith! Please keep me posted on your experience with the enzymes. I gave up gluten totally about 5 months ago and it appears to be one of the most effective things that I have tried that seemed to make a big difference in my symptoms. Within two weeks of giving it up several of my most annoying symptoms went away. I do, however, miss my bread, the gluten free substitutes just aren't the same!

Comment

Originally posted by nutritiontara View Post
              Yes, I used to use it a lot in the 90s for pain and inflammation. I have better things now. Which are targeted to solve the general body inflammation, and that reduces pain. When I have a specific pain person- initially we may use boswellia to make em feel better.

I think its one of those try it and see what results you get.
              Thanks Tara, I have come across several formulas that contain boswellia, I will give it a try!

Comment

Originally posted by Redwings View Post
                Is there any "miracle product" for which the marketing copy doesn't say it's beneficial for MS?
                I agree, I ran across a couple the other day that said not only were they "the cure" they only take a minute to work - "the one-minute miracle for MS"! It's difficult to wade through all of this stuff, but fortunately some false claims are pretty obvious

Comment

Originally posted by Sequoia View Post
                  Serrapeptase (Serratiopeptidase) is an anti-inflammatory agent. Reducing inflammation is generally considered to be a good thing for MS.

Unfortunately, the broader claims made for Serrapeptase by supplement manufacturers are not backed by solid research.
                  Thanks Sequoia!

Comment

Thanks Tara, I have come across several formulas that contain boswellia, I will give it a try!
                    Straight Boswellia (not as part of a formula) is available at a reasonable price.

Comment

Thanks Faith! Please keep me posted on your experience with the enzymes. I gave up gluten totally about 5 months ago and it appears to be one of the most effective things that I have tried that seemed to make a big difference in my symptoms. Within two weeks of giving it up several of my most annoying symptoms went away. I do, however, miss my bread, the gluten free substitutes just aren't the same!
                      Will try to keep you posted, Storyteller. Actually, though, because I am not currently experiencing gluten intolerance kinds of symptoms, I suspect that the only indicator that digestive enzymes might be effective would be less frequent flares, so, I may have to wait quite awhile to see if that occurs.

The lack of "problem symptoms" is one reason that I'm so reluctant to consider going totally gluten-free -- that, without a problem that no gluten needs to "solve", it's difficult to find the motivation to embark on such a restrictive diet.

From what I've read, digestive enzymes are not very likely to be effective for those who actually have celiac disease. But, there are accounts, for example, of it being very effective for those with autism. Not sure how it will work with MS.

~ Faith
                      ~ Faith
                      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
                      X