Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone make involuntary sounds when falling asleep?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone make involuntary sounds when falling asleep?

For the last two months I've had problems with myoclonic jerking and twitching as I relax and wind down to sleep. Not long after that began, my husband noticed that I began make an odd, low growling sound in my throat when the twitching began as well. It's caused me to wake up out of that twilight sleep several times, and I've noticed I'll do it involuntarily when I'm half-asleep in the morning or when I go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. Like the twitching and jerking I seem to have ZERO control over this.

Could this be MS-related or is it just sleep-weirdness? I talk in my sleep and sleptwalk as a child, but the throat growling is completely new.

I will at times, usually when feeling really bad, "snore" or something in a state of semi-sleep.... It wakes me up as well.... It is weird and embarrassing if I am napping and people are around.... It is Loud too!!!

Comment

yes

My DH tells me that I moan, apparently quite frequently. That makes no sense to me as I am not actually "hurting". I know that I have startled myself awake with a snore type sound, even though I don't think it is actually a snore.

Comment

I jerk and twitch, sometimes snore or moan all of which DH is used to. Lately I've been having sleep apnea so when he notices I'm not breathing he rubs my back until the sharp intake of breath and all is well.

Comment

Are you sure you aren't possessed? Maybe you need an exorcism... LOL. Just kidding! Hopefully this isn't the issue, just wanted to add a little humor.

I twitch a lot from the moment I lay down until I am up and moving again the next morning. If I'm on my back, I make weird noises but for the most part (when I actually sleep instead of stare at the ceiling or play solitare on my phone trying to make myself tired until my alarm goes off) I don't. I do occasionally moan in my sleep, but that's when I'm having a REALLY good dream. LOL.
          Rae Roy

Comment

Originally posted by RoyaleMSer View Post
            If I'm on my back, I make weird noises but for the most part (when I actually sleep instead of stare at the ceiling or play solitare on my phone trying to make myself tired until my alarm goes off) I don't. I do occasionally moan in my sleep, but that's when I'm having a REALLY good dream. LOL.
            I had not read this post since it has been out there, thinking...I don't have this problem. Well, my wife informed me this morning that I do. I guess I make sounds like I'm choking, then gasp for air...yes, sounds like apnea. Also, I make funny sounds like I'm talking but it is not understandable speech and not moaning.

It always happens when sleeping on my back and as of now doubt it is MS related. Thought I would put it out there though.

Comment

It sounds like many on this thread could benefit from a sleep study to determine if anyone has a sleep disorder such as sleep apnea.

Sleep disorders can affect your health and many times can be easily treated. In the case of sleep apnea a CPAP is used.

It is not uncommon for those with MS to have Sleep Apnea. Please speak to your doctors.
              Diagnosed 1984
              “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Sleep Apnea

I've read that sleep apnea is very common among MSers. I was actually diagnosed with that before MS.

Comment

Sleepy Sounders

I've had a sleep study recently because dh thought I had sleep apnea because of my snoring/odd gutteral sounds from my throat. Well, I did not have apnea events, snoring, weird sounds yes, and they caught on the video my spasms and jerking. They also noticed I would not stay in REM sleep long.

If your insurance will cover it, I would get a sleep study done at least to rule out apnea- My dh does have it, and stops breathing often and the apnea causes all sorts of fatigue, weight gain, etc. Always helps to know. Now I take baclofen and valium to quiet my weird system so I can rest.
                  The person who knows how to laugh at himself will never cease to be amused.

Comment

Yes!

Maecaela- Yes! That is so weird! I had the growling sounds and corresponded to also the week I had myoclonic jerks.

Comment

Many people make noises when they are falling asleep. My husband mutters, sometime says actual words, and sometimes snores. He does not have MS.

I have MS and snore like a freight train (meds and chronic cough, and respiratory problems.) I have been know to carry on complete conversations in my sleep. Sometimes in Spanish and I only took 1 year of Spanish a hundred years ago. It is amazing what is stored in our brains. I just had a 2nd sleep study. The 1st one, probably 10 years ago showed no signs of apnea. I haven't gotten the current results so we shall see. My neuro ordered it because I had been battling major fatigue lately. (More than the bone weary normal fatigue.) I am sleeping 17 hours a day!

Comment

Working...
                      X