Hello may I introduce myself and tell my tale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello may I introduce myself and tell my tale

My life before this monster of MS came to be known to me. I spent 6 years in the Marine Corps, (Jul1986-jul1992). I’ve raised my two kids on my own since jul1997 wife decided the grass was greener on the other side of the fence. So I spent many evenings taking my daughter to ballet classes and football games (cheerleading). My son playing golf then hunting and fishing every moment we got. I found myself working as a machinist after getting out of the military. This career has provided a good home and gave me the opportunity to send both my kids to prominent private schools in the area.IE both my kids were gifted students and the public schools in the area wouldn’t provide them with the educational needs they so deserved. I now work for a major aircraft manufacturer in the area building wide body jetliners.

I was diagnosed February 1, 2012. It was a bit of a traumatic event. On my way to work, I had sudden double vision and when I had gotten to work I was limping and dragging my feet and was numb from my head to my foot on my right side. When I saw the nurse on staff, she thought I was having a stroke or TIA. She ordered an ambulance because she wouldn’t let me drive to the hospital myself, lost that augment I’m used to doing things on my own. When in the ER, the ER doctor ordered the MRI’s to check where I was having the stroke or TIA. Then the ER doctor admitted me for observation. Later that evening he came and told me, he had some good news and some bad news. He said” the good news was, I didn’t have a stroke or TIA. The bad news was, after reviewing the MRI’s and consulting with the neurologist, I have MS and that I was experiencing a clinical exacerbation. He was surprised how well I took the news. I explained I knew something was wrong with me for years just could never put a finger on it.

When I finally got to meet my neurologist we found an instant connection. He was from Iran and took part in the seven year Iraq/Iran war and me a Gulf War Vet and our both dislike of Saddam Hussein. He was surprised to learn I was in the port of Al Jubal when a scud missile self-destructed just before impact in the port and the warhead landed roughly 150 meters in the water from where I was on the dock and the falling debris all around me and the ships. He then asked if I had been to the VA and I told him I’ve been there several times over the years and got the same response every time. They would tell me nothing was wrong with me and thank you for your service and have a nice day. They were only accepting service connected injuries or my income was too high. So I would just suck it up and get on with my life

WELCOME Duster............

Don't feel bad about the VA response. Back in the 80s the VA sent me to the shrinks I kept complaining something else was wrong. A couple years ago BINGO, only took them 2 and a half decades or so to figure out what the else was.

The VA now as I understand it will treat ANY VET with MS, no conditions..... so check it out.

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

I'm checking it out now. I barely was under the max for priority group seven. I'll see how it goes from here. It looks like I’ve finally got my foot in the door this time.

Comment

Welcome Duster and good luck with all.

Comment

welcome TJ , you should check into the VA about Gulf War syndrome, i really dont understand why people have a bad time with the VA, maybe its in the area's were your at? I dont know, i have never had a bad time at VA hospitals here in Washington state, maybe because i am a priority 1 in there rating sysrem for have Combat related problems I.E. gun shot wounds, who Knows, all Vets should be treated but i understand there rating system, Just need to get a good case worker and treat them proper, cause for the most part they dont make much money and people crap on them all day long, i was at one appointment when this guy came in demanding stuff so the case worker asked him for his DD-214 and it read Dishonorable Discharge well, i dont know they why's and the what nots for his Dishonarable but at that point i piped up and said get in the back of the line buddy see these Vets with missing body parts and wheelchairs they come FIRST... so this Jack knob said to me i dont see any missing missing parts on You, so i pulled of my shirt and said see this "Scar" it messures about 30 inches due to these smaller 2 holes from an AK 47, so i said to him i am quit sure i earned my VA privledges not so sure about you Mr Dishonorable, and there was a loud cheer !!!

Comment

Thank You, TJ and LoveJoy
            I’ve come to the belief and understanding a long time ago, we all that have have served in a war zone and came into harm’s way no matter the duration have some type of battle scares some obvious and some not so obvious, everyone is effected somehow.
            To you LovJoy and your suggestion of checking into G.W.S., I’ve known of it for a long time. I’ve felt like I’ve had it and fortunately for me I’ve been able to manage things on my own till recently. It blows my mind some times when I compare the symptoms of GWS to MS. My neurologist believes and can show that the number of MS and other disorders are higher in war ravaged areas. He told me he expects similar finding in years to come from Japan as well from the fall out of the nuke disaster there.

Comment

i so agree, i am thankfull for all Vets, but War Zone Vets, IMHO should have first dibs on everything the VA has to offer, and then to honorable, then general and then finally dishonorablel ..... For those who are Dishonorablly discharge its actaully very easy to get your status upgraded to General Discharge or to in the Best interest of the service.... Not judging just saying the facts as i see them.....

Comment

Working...
              X