tecfidera sick daily

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tecfidera sick daily

hi i was diagnosed w ms since December been on Tecfidera since January abt 3 months now i take it 2 times a day i get really bad tummy aches and rash i wanna change to the shot avonex only take once a week does any 1 know how that is and does any1 have tge same reaction on Tecfidera i also get very tired and when i lay down dizzy ty n advance

Tecfidera

Tecfidera has a 50% reduction in relapse rate.
    Avonex has around a 30% reduction in relapse rate.
    There are many things you can do to help the stomach issues. Take it with a fat protein meal. Make sure you are taking 12 hours apart. There are many threads about dealing with the tecfidera stomach issues on ms world.
    Avonex has flu like symptoms. When I was on it I would feel sick for 2-3 days a week.
    The tecfidera is a stronger drug at preventing relapses.
    Since you were recently diagnosed the main thing is to prevent relapses. Preventing relapses slows down disease/disability progression.

Comment

Originally posted by pballer76 View Post
      Tecfidera has a 50% reduction in relapse rate.
      Avonex has around a 30% reduction in relapse rate.
      There are many things you can do to help the stomach issues. Take it with a fat protein meal. Make sure you are taking 12 hours apart. There are many threads about dealing with the tecfidera stomach issues on ms world.
      Avonex has flu like symptoms. When I was on it I would feel sick for 2-3 days a week.
      The tecfidera is a stronger drug at preventing relapses.
      Since you were recently diagnosed the main thing is to prevent relapses. Preventing relapses slows down disease/disability progression.
      Totally agree. I've been on tec for only a month, and learned that a peanut butter/jelly sandwich prior to taking tec works wonders. As many here say peanut butter, as well.

Comment

pballer76 is right... Tecfidera has a better effectivity rate than Avonex. Also, you may find you don't tolerate Avonex as well, although maybe it's better for you. Only you and your neuro can decide.

I started on Avonex in 1998 and was sick as a dog with a 102f temp for two days every week. I lived on Tylenol 3 and sleep from Friday to Sunday. After six months of this hell, my neuro switched me to Copaxone, which I stayed on for 16 or so years until I started falling out of remission. I tolerated Copaxone splendidly! It was like injecting saline.

My point is, you might want to talk to your neuro about all your options. There are a lot of MS meds out there. Everyone's body chemistry and tolerance is different, so it's a matter of matching up which is right for you and your disease type. You should have a number of options. If one med doesn't play well for you, you might be able to switch to another.

Good luck!

-Paul

Comment

Working...
        X