Bowel dysfunction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bowel dysfunction

Is bowel dysfunction a common symptom of MS? I experience symptoms similar to Ibs. Alternating between constipation and diarrhea. This is new for me within the past few months. About to start Tecfidera but may wait a bit until I get this problem under control.

Yes unfortunately bowel and bladder dysfunction are common in MS.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

One of the reasons I 'rejected' MS doc's suggestion to change my DMD to Tec. Hope your sx's clear up soon. Mine lasted 10yrs, cleared up after I started infusions 2yrs ago.

Comment

Bowel dysfunction

MSW1963 and Jules A....Thanks for your replies. I figured this must be an MS symptom. Will speak with gastro and neuro this week. Other than the bowel dilemma I am pretty healthy and active. One way or another MS has a way of making life uncomfortable. Thanks again for answering.

Comment

One of the pleasures, not, is losing the ability to know exactly where your bottom is positioned vis a vis the toilet seat.
          Those baby cleaning handy wipes are very useful.

Also what is it with these MS drugs? Reeeeally need a drug that makes our balance/bowels/ fatigue/ dizziness worse.

Hey ho.

Comment

I was dx'd with IBS based on incontenience. I had zero, nada, zip confidence in that dx.

Fast forward 10yrs, 2nd month on my new DMD and my IBS incontenience and 'depression' related insomnia both resolved.

My official med records now attribute incontenience and insomnia to MS, and attributes sx's resolving to the huge success of my new DMD. A seamless transition noted in my records, although I'm still scratching my head wondering after 10yr of eye rolling condescension how did that happened? : )

MS is a comedy of errors, a three ring circus, minus the funny parts. (Grumpy mood today, anyone?)

Comment

bowel dysfunction

MSW 1963. May I ask what med you take for MS. I took Copaxone for 5 months, Gilenya for 3 months and now slated for Tecfidera.

Comment

Copaxone for 2-3yrs., stopped after 'adverse event'.

Med free for approx. 3yrs.

Rebif for 5-6months, but I wasn't on board with it so to speak, due to side effects.

I'm now on Tysabri, that includes a Ty brake due to insurance issues and intense 'rebound' until I restarted it about 1yr ago. I was euphoric after the first 2-3 months on Ty when I started sleeping and bowel problems resolved after 10yrs., but the rebound was an awful.awful.awful time.

My MS doc suggested Tecf (= CYA, imo) because I'm PML+ and titer is high. But due to bowel problems associated with Tecf, and fear that I'll lose the ground I've gained with both sx's (insomnia and bowel), I've decided to stay with Ty. May not be the best decission I've ever made, but I'm not sure there's any such thing with MS and new generation of MS treatments.

Comment

Bowel dysfunction

MSW1963....I am also JC positive with a titer at 1.12. Tec was delivered this week but I am holding off on starting for now. Probably will start at some point though. Bless you for keeping up with tysabri. I understand why patients love this treatment. It seems people have such good results. But there is the concern for PML. Best of luck with your care.
                  Thanks again for responding. It is comforting to know that we are not alone.

Comment

Working...
                  X