Copaxone to tecfidera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copaxone to tecfidera

I'm starting tecfidera any tips or suggestions ? I was on copaxone for 6 weeks and have stopped due to terrible injection site reactions. I will be going on avonex pen I'm the meantime. I've been on it befire and had the usual flu symptoms but can handle it if it's temporary. Thanks

Tips for Tec

I was on Copaxone for ~ 9 years and transitioned over to Tecfidera end of July. If you read the others posts you will find helpful information....I have had a decent experience so far. A few things that I do --- always take it with food, preferably something with a bit of fat content (i.e. I eat a Tbsp of Almond Butter prior to taking it.) Drink plenty of water with it.

When I took my initial 120mg dose I had severe flushing - looked in the mirror and saw lobster-colored skin! It resolved within an hour or so. Also had some itching, prickling/tingling. Again, resolved fairly quickly.

I believe I have it down now so that I rarely ever experience any of these side effects, although if I don't eat much for lunch or get hungry, I sometimes get an upset stomach, which resolved when I eat something.

As with everything MS, not everyone has the same experience. The injection site lumps/bumps are beginning to resolve, which is what I'd hoped.

I wish you success on this new Medication. Good luck!

Comment

I switched from copax to tec.

There are great tips on this forum. Stay hydrated, bland food, etc

I dont tolerate greasy food though; even a little bit of fat can bother me if I have a tender tummy.

I take tec in morning with oatmeal. When I started, I ate mostly mashed potatoes, plain bagels, oatmeal, oyster crackers, etc for awhile - no butter.

I guess it helps to know what food comforts "your" upset stomach normally.

And have some pepto or other meds suggested on hand.

Dont freak out at first dose redness. I was lobster sunburn red. Next day - very mild. Never had that first high level redness again. I would plan first day on a day at home though.

Comment

Be patient!

Comment

Copaxone to Techfidera: is it more effective?

Hello -- I have been on Copaxone for 13 years, dxed 18 years ago, before that Avonex for a year, and I tried Rebif somewhere in the middle of the Copaxone because a neuro didn't like on of my MRI's. I could not tolerate Rebif or Avonex. Copaxone has been very good for me, along with complimentary alternative treatments, including glutathione IV pushes every 2 months.

For the first time in 13 years I am having an exacerbation, so am wondering about techfidera. I it better? I don't mind the injections, and I hate side effects, but if the MS will go back to how it has been, I guess I should consider. I believe the exacerbation is due to stress -- death in the family, teenage kid drama, etc. Nothing else has changed. Please let me know if anyone knows if tech is better than copaxone.

Comment

On Tec for 1 month

I too switched from copaxone after 4 years due to accumulating skin problems to tecfidera. I've had occasional flushing that doesn't last more than a couple minutes. Before starting I was nervous, but I read all the suggestions posted on this site and am more than pleased with my experience. I take the meds with breakfast and dinner with a full glass of water. I guess the main test will be the future MRI's - but so far I'm glad I made the change.

Comment

Originally posted by Luvmyfamily View Post
              I too switched from copaxone after 4 years due to accumulating skin problems to tecfidera. I've had occasional flushing that doesn't last more than a couple minutes. Before starting I was nervous, but I read all the suggestions posted on this site and am more than pleased with my experience. I take the meds with breakfast and dinner with a full glass of water. I guess the main test will be the future MRI's - but so far I'm glad I made the change.
              I really like these positive quotes about Tecfidera. I've been on Copaxone for a year, but I am being switched to Tecfidera as soon as my Blue Cross comes through with coverage. I can't wait!

Comment

Copax to Tec, too--gut ache!

I was on Copaxone for 6 years with great control: no new lesions and some signs of repair to old ones, but I reached a point where I couldn't stand facing another injection. I still was having injection site reactions and I suspect I have tissue destruction because there are areas I was injecting that no longer bled. I was thrilled to try Tec! The first bottle, I had the extreme flushing, but like others, this became less with time. I am currently into my 2nd bottle and struggling with abdominal pain. Reminds me of the gut ache I got as a kid after eating a bunch of green apples! The Biogen nurse advised I call my provider, who gave me the most crushing answer as relayed by her nurse: "well, then she'll have to go back to the injections..." NOoooooo!!!! Couldn't believe it. Since then, I used Immodium which helped but now I don't have loose stools but still getting severe rotten stomach ache. I am going to read through all your suggestions but am open to anything. Really, really, really don't want to return to injections.
                “Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.” Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                X