Medication for Dizziness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medication for Dizziness?

My bf was dx a month ago and the symptom that brought him to the hospital was extreme dizziness. He received 3 days of solu-medrol and he slowly was beginning to feel better. He was not dizzy at all for 2 weeks. Now today, he woke up with almost the same level of dizziness that he experienced at his dx. I know these may be due to the cerebral lesion. He hasn't started on any treatments yet, but will very soon. I was wondering though if there are any meds out there that you have taken that help with the dizziness? He's really having a hard time coping with this

I take meclizine for dizziness

I'm sorry your friend is experiencing this symptom. I had severe vertigo for a very long time. I took meclizine which is sold as Bonine in the drug store over the counter. You do not need a prescription and it is not expensive. I also was given by prescription promethazine both orally and as a suppository because I was vomiting so much I could not keep pills down. Sometimes the meclizine just took the edge off but sometimes it kept my vertigo in check. It is worth a try. There is also a patch that is a prescription which may help him. I have not used it but maybe someone else will chime in with knowledge of it. Try meclizine. It is the motion sickness drug sold with a few names. I know that sounds too simple but it took the edge off for me.

Comment

Once peripheral dizziness is ruled out and it is determined central dizziness (which is common), it can be managed with ver low doses of Valium. I take between 5-10mg a day.
      Katie
      "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
      "My MS is a Journey for One."
      Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I also find relief from valium, meclizine doesn't work for me.
        Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. He's supposed to have a Dr. appt today so hopefully they can give him something for the dizziness.

Comment

Marie --
            Is your husband experiencing "dizziness", or, "vertigo"?

I experienced extreme dizziness with my first flare, back in 2002. It lasted several months. And, it was so major that it was more disabling than the mobility issues that accompanied my stroke-like symptoms, and was one of the reasons that I was off of work for several months.

Unless I was laying back in the recliner, I was so dizzy that I was nauseous and sometimes vomited. Although I could usually (but not always) make it long enough to go from the recliner to the bathroom to pee, I was unable to stand long enough to do simple tasks such as washing dishes at the sink, or even to sit upright for more than a few minutes in the recliner.

My doctor refused to rx medication for it, because he said that "dizziness" is different than "vertigo". Dizziness is being light-headed; and vertigo results in the perception that the room is spinning. He said that the meds available would help only with vertigo, not the dizziness that I was experiencing.

Eventually, I was blessed to find a physical therapist who had some training (although, very little experience) in dizziness and vertigo issues. She literally went back to her textbooks and researched what she'd learned and she was able to give me exercises that re-trained my brain to tolerate those movements that triggered my dizziness. After several months of unrelenting symptoms, they began to lift within the first week of PT treatment. After 3 weeks or so, they were gone.

~ Faith
            ~ Faith
            MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
            - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
            - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
            - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

vertigo

valium didn't work for me but meclizine did at times work and not let the vertigo break through completely. I would have tried anything and I did. - vertigo was my first symptom of MS and was terrifying - I was not dizzy I was on the floor for many hours vomiting because the world was moving- this is vertigo. I could not tell up from down or walk. When given an MRI I had an active lesion in the balance portion of my brain. This symptom stopped me from working and was very hard to cope with but there is medication so keep asking for something else if one does not work. It's wonderful that you are an advocate for him.

Comment

mamabug,

It seems he is suffereing from dizziness, not vertigo. He does not have the "room spinning" effect, just very lightheaded and it is hard for him to keep enough balance to walk. The MS nurse said this is likely a residual symptom from his recent flare and that it should dissapate but if not we will look into PT as well and hopefully that will give him some relief.

Thanks so much for your input and advice

Comment

You're welcome, Marie. Best wishes for his improvement.

If he decides to pursue physical therapy, he'll likely need to get a referral from his physician. Ask for a PT knowledgeable in "vestibular therapy".

~ Faith
                  ~ Faith
                  MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                  (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                  - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                  - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                  - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Sorry to hear that your BF is suffering with dizziness. I hate to admit it but Mom has been dealing with a Wonky Head (phrase used on www.ana.org) for more than 8 years but hers was due to a very bad outcome from gamma knife surgery for an acoustic neuroma. As if MS wasn't bad enough! She has even on occasion seen a telephone upside down on a right side up dresser. She does take the Meclizine. If your BF gets the dry heaves from the vertigo/nausea, Zofran (an anti-nausea drug given to chemo patients) is a miracle drug. Also, Mom did get hours of relief from a PT thing called the Eppley's Manuever.

Comment

i get waves of dizzyness and i use a product called Di Vertigo from amazon.com you can also find this in many health food stores, you dab some on your finger and rub on the back of your ear lobs.. this gets in to the blood vessels and really really does the trick.. i recommend this .. you may like it and it does not cost alot .. think under 10 dollars..

Comment

Working...
                      X