Stay on or move on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stay on or move on?

Hi there - Today would have been day 14 on Tecfidera (day 7 on the 240 mg dose) and I didn't take the pill. Last night I had horrible stabbing stomach pain and after 2 weeks of feeling nausea and fatigue and overall achiness, I decided to skip the morning pill. Earlier this week I saw my neurologist, and he recommended cutting back from 2 240 mg capsules per day to just one. Or even to one every other day for a couple weeks until my body got used to the effects. I didn't do as he said, hoping to just make it through with the full dose, but now I need to reassess.

Now I'm trying to figure out if I should do as he said, cut back and hope, or just go back onto Avonex where I was doing well (or try Gilenya).

Has anybody been on Techfidera, had a really hard time, cut back, and succeeded in getting back to the full dose without feeling miserable? I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth giving it a second try or if I should move on.

Thank you!

Titrating sounds like a good idea. As with all DMD's, choosing which side effects are most tolerable is key.
    For me, the daily shot, itching, raised bumps, etc of Copaxone were becoming quite bothersome. Tecfidera has been a blessing.
    Hope you find your answer.
    Good luck.

Comment

I was on day 13 (day 6 at 240) when I stopped due to severe diarrhea for four days (day 11-what would have been day 15). My neuro first said to take one pill a day then when I called to see if they had anything stronger than Imodium, to just stop all together and at my July appt we will start again. Last night I went back to LDN just to feel like I was doing something. Good luck to you!

Blessings,
      Kristin

Comment

what does tecfidera do exactly?

A lot of people compare Tec to probiotics, protandum and Kefir. It may be correcting your stomach and intestines.

Do you take the pill after a meal?
        How is your diet?
        Do you juice? take vitamins/minerals and get enough fruits, veggies and lean protein? Do you have a lot of saturated fats in your diet? Are you under over weight?

These were all the questions I answered from doing research here and from listening to other MSer success stories.

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth, and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

Bill Hicks

Comment

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Durgastiger -I've taken Tec with food. I'm not on a special diet but definitely get tons of fruit, some veggies, and not too many fats. No juicing. Do take vitamins. Normal to slightly-below-normal weight. Are there changes you'd make to improve my chances for success?

I took a full day off the meds, finally starting feeling better, and decided to try the "every-other-day" approach...mostly because I don't know what else to do and I want to be sure to give Tec a reasonable try after waiting so long for this drug to come out. So I took one pill a couple hours ago with lunch. Have since drank a lot of water, thinking maybe the lack of liquids was a mistake the first time around.

I also have constipation (always a problem) and I'm wondering if that is exacerbating the problems Tec is bringing on.

I'll see how this every-other-day approach goes for a week or so and then try to make it every day. And if I can't hack it, I think I'm now thinking Tysabri or back to Avonex.

Thanks again...

Comment

Working...
          X