Question about relieving the itch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about relieving the itch

I have been injecting Copaxone since late August and then for 4 or 5 months last year (I had a baby so took a break). I am an autoinjector type of girl. I don't like it, but it's easier for me.

What I want to know is what do people use for the itching after the shot. I know about using hot/cold packs and all of that, but I'd like to get rid of the itching for 24+ hours if possible! I'm not sure if it's possible to be itch free, but thought I'd ask.
    Lori
    Betaseron 2004-2009, Tysabri 2010-2011, Copaxone 2012-2013, Tecfidera 2013...

Hi Lori! I am new to this site and must admit, I check it frequently for info but never posted! I am now, because......I hear your itch!!!

I was finally firmly diagnosed in September this year RR and started Copaxone Oct 1st. After trial and error I have settled into the auto injections quite well. I was having issues manually injecting too deep. I have tried both (even at 45 angle) and I get welts no matter what. I have major itching for up to a week for some, and particularly in my legs. Even when injecting in my legs my two to three previous injection sites re flair up and get itchy. For ten minutes after my injections I feel like I have been hit by a swarm of bees followed by major heat. I do use ice to cool things down, which helps. Last night my leg injection swelled to the size of an orange, it is down today but itchy!

Today, my back hip was so itchy ( three days ago injection site) at work I had to run to the pharmacy! They suggested Benadryl cream, which I have been using and as well, the pills if needed. My clinic did confirm they had no issue with me taking them.

I am trying to drink the recommended water each day, but struggling to get that all in me! not sure if that helps or not, but my skin is so dry......which makes me ITCH more! I guess it is a small price to pay if the results are good in the end.

Feel comfort that your not scratching alone! You would think that there would be some other sort of relieve, but so far, this is all I have been told! Maybe others could give us some tips to manage this, as it is quite uncomfortable.

Comment

Lori and Kickboxer,

The first year of Copaxone was the hardest for me...the itching, welts, lumps...you know...drove me crazy! It does settle down over time and it is really hard to be patient when injecting daily.

My first six months I used the auto inject, but through grit and determination I overcame my fear of selfinjecting and have done it now ever since. Of cousrse, my DH pinches for me on my arms. I have been on Copaxone over three years and I still hate the shots, but for the most part, it has become tolerable. I just keep saying that it is helping me, it is helping me, no pain, no gain......ugh!

I wish (but i don't) have the magic cure, but can tell you that is does get better. Hang in there and congratulations for being so strong!!

Comment

This is what works for me, manual or auto-inject:

- I don't use alcohol swabs to sterilize, just anti-bacterial baby bum wipes or good old soap and water as alcohol will make the sting worse

- After the needle come out, firmly push down on that bump that forms for approx 30 seconds, don't rub just push

- Ice for another minute or so

- Apply Benadryl cream or any anti-itch cream

I hope you find a combination of advice to help you. I have been on COpaxone for over 5 years and don't have any injection site marks or scars. Personally, pushing down on the bump (which I read about here) has made all the difference as crazy as it sounds. Good luck, please let us know how you're making out.

Jen
        RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
        "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

My thought

My thought on the site reaction is that the drug stays in one spot irritating the skin. Pushing down on the spot, spreads the medicine out, eliminating that.

I have followed Jen's advice and haven't had any trouble!

Sara

Comment

That makes sense Sara, about the medicine staying in the same spot and irritating the skin. I know there are some "tricks" to making the after affects more bearable, but I'd like to make it as simple as possible! Give myself the shot and be done with it! My arms don't seem to itch much the next day, but my thighs and tummy really do so I think I need to make those injections a little deeper so they aren't right under the skin.

Do the creams actually make the itching go away? And if so, how long until it has to be reapplied? I imagine it doesn't last very long so I think I'll risk a few intramuscular injections to make sure I'm going deep enough.
            Lori
            Betaseron 2004-2009, Tysabri 2010-2011, Copaxone 2012-2013, Tecfidera 2013...

Comment

It's really hard, but patience is the answer

I've been on Copaxone for over two years, and let me tell you, the first few months were agony for me with the itching. I so wanted to quit, but had few other choices of meds to switch to. So I stuck it out (no pun intended) and was helped by the advice of someone who told me that it took them about 6 or 7 months to stop being bothered by the itch so much. Lo and behold, the same was true for me. Eventually it got much better as my body got used to this invader under my skin. The other thing I did was to use Benadryl gel - not the cream. You can just glide the gel on the skin gently without having to rub it. I liked this because I'd read that you're not supposed to rub the shot area for at least 24 hours. The Benadryl gel didn't take all the crazy itch away, but it did provide me with some relief. Good luck, and I hope you can hang in there. Just know you are not alone and that others are going through or have gone through this as well.

Comment

I don't have much time under my belt with my new friend Copaxone...3 weeks so far.

I use the autoinjector which I now call the Yellow Jacket, after ice and heat and showers etc. I have only found Benadryl to really do anything as far as relief.

I use the cream, but after reading others I may buy the gel version next time, which could be next week since I am using a decent amount, too bad this stuff does not come in a tub

Good luck!
                ~nagem

Always be yourself, because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones that mind don't matter.

Comment

Hello all, thanks for your comments. Benadryl spray works well and you don't need to touch the skin.......however......this is not helping me. Last night after a tummie injection (with zero reaction) my hips within minutes....which was last Thursday and Fridays injections swelled up, got red and the size of eggs. I tried everything to calm them down, ice, Benadryl and even took Benedryl. I was up all night....called ss and they said it wasn't a typical issue. I am going to call my doc tomorrow and ms clinic, however......has anyone ever been per scripted medication to deal with this itch and flares??? I don't want to give up on this and I don't think it will last forever...I am just itchin crazy!!!!! BTW....I was so desperate tonight for relieve I went in the hot tub and used the jets to message the spots. I think it worked, but the rest on my body is not too happy right now! Next injection in minutes....hopefully no new issues.

Comment

itch

Originally posted by Cat Mom View Post
                    This is what works for me, manual or auto-inject:

- I don't use alcohol swabs to sterilize, just anti-bacterial baby bum wipes or good old soap and water as alcohol will make the sting worse

- After the needle come out, firmly push down on that bump that forms for approx 30 seconds, don't rub just push

- Ice for another minute or so

- Apply Benadryl cream or any anti-itch cream

I hope you find a combination of advice to help you. I have been on COpaxone for over 5 years and don't have any injection site marks or scars. Personally, pushing down on the bump (which I read about here) has made all the difference as crazy as it sounds. Good luck, please let us know how you're making out.

Jen
                    than you Jen

Comment

Script for the itch

Well, after three months of itch things started to get worse again this week with injection reactions, redness and lumps. I tried all of your tricks, which sometimes work and then in other locations...not so much. Last week I had a horrible reaction in my arm using the auto inject. I could not move my arm for hours. SS said it was likely more my MS, the Nero told me not to use my arms anymore. So...moved on. Called the family doctor and made an appt to have them look at the reactions. The nurse in the office today did my needle...and in the arm.....it was a perfect injection! I have never had one of those! No itch, burning or swelling. So......for the next week I will go each day and have them train me to manually inject at an angle and my husband as well. No more auto inject for me! The other sights did flare up and get red for them to see, which...finally made me feel like I was not losing my mind!

On the itch side.....they prescribed 25mg of Atarax to help with the itch and swelling. So, there is script help.....I will start it tomorrow. I am not on any other meds accept this and co. Just thought I would share! Hope for you all I am itchin alone tonight!

Comment

I rub the injection area pretty well before injecting with the auto-ject. I leave the needle in for a few seconds longer than it requires then remove it slowly and hop right into the shower. I never do my arms and have found that injecting near a stretch mark is sure to leave me with an agry, itchy welt for days!

Comment

I started copaxone 3 weeks ago, first week was fine, then suddenly I developed really severe injection site reactions including unrelenting itchiness in my arms and a cellulitis on my leg. I stopped injecting my arms and legs for now and reactions are not 2 bad on my stomach and hips. Doctor is concerned I won't have enough injection sites so I will try my arms and legs again next week and hopefully reaction won't be as bad. Just a suggestion but my ms nurse suggested a steroid cream 4 d ouch and even one application on the arms was enough to relieve the itch that it became bearable (although still itchy, I could get on with my daily life). A steroid cream might help your itch...

Comment

Working...
                          X