2010 Revised McDonald Criteria for MS Diagnosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2010 Revised McDonald Criteria for MS Diagnosis

I wanted to post the criteria for MS diagnosis. Many have questioned why they have not been diagnosed without positive MRI results, but positive, or O-bands in their CSF.

I was diagnosed in 2004 after a long time in limbo and know the frustrations you all are going through. It was hard for me as a healthcare provider to accept these guidelines, but they are there to protect us against misdiagnosis and wrongful treatment. Here they are:

1. Clinical Presentation
    * 2 or more attacks (relapses)
    * 2 or more objective clinical lesions

Additional Data Needed:
    None; clinical evidence will suffice (additional evidence desirable but must be consistent with MS)

2. Clinical Presentation:
    * 2 or more attacks
    * 1 objective clinical lesion

Additional Data Needed:
    Dissemination in space, demonstrated by:
    * MRI
    * or a positive CSF and 2 or more MRI lesions consistent with MS
    * or further clinical attack involving different site

3. Clinical Presentation:
    * 1 attack
    * 2 or more objective clinical lesions

Additional Data Needed:
    Dissemination in time, demonstrated by:
    * MRI
    * or second clinical attack

4. Clinical Presentation:
    * 1 attack
    * 1 objective clinical lesion
    (monosymptomatic presentation)

Additional Information Needed:
    Dissemination in space demonstrated by:
    * MRI
    * or positive CSF and 2 or more MRI lesions consistent with MS
    and
    Dissemination in time demonstrated by:
    * MRI
    * or second clinical attack

5. Clinical Presentation:
    Insidious neurological progression
    suggestive of MS
    (primary progressive MS)

Additional information needed:
    One year of disease progression (retrospectively or prospectively determined) and

Two of the following:
    a. Positive brain MRI (nine T2 lesions or four or more T2 lesions with positive VEP)
    b. Positive spinal cord MRI (two focal T2 lesions)
    c. Positive CSF

When a patient has positive CSF that has specific markers for MS (like meylin basic protein increase, IgG increases, and >3 O-bands with all of these), evoked potentials can be used at times to check for "lesion" evidence if MRIs continue to be negative within the first year.

After the first year, physicians begin to doubt the diagnosis if the MRI remains negative. Sometimes a more in-depth 3T MRI can be done (normal MRs are 1.5), to check for small lesions, but most MS lesions are large enough to be seen on a 1.5.

If your O-bands disappear, it is not MS. O-bands do not disappear in MS, nor to spinal lesions. Brain lesions can, but leave behind a "black hole".

An MRI that has white matter lesions will sometimes be non-specific and not qualify for diagnosis of MS. MS has a specific pattern and look. Your neurologist is trained to look for this pattern as are radiologists.
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Originally posted by 22cyclist View Post
    O-bands do not disappear in MS, nor to spinal lesions.
    It's true, once you have o-bands you will always have o-bands.

It is not true that spinal cord lesions do not disappear...they can and it's still MS.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

For completeness, here's an article from the Annals of Neurology that explains the 2010 revision to the McDonald criteria:
      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...7/?tool=pubmed

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
        It's true, once you have o-bands you will always have o-bands.

It is not true that spinal cord lesions do not disappear...they can and it's still MS.
        Thank you SNOOPY! You are right on. I was referring to the classic "black holes" that form in the brain when lesions disappear. This does not happen in the cord, but cord lesions can shrink to the point that they can no longer be detected by MRI.

I appreciate the correction! My MS brain doesn't always translate to my fingers, and sometimes it doesn't work at all!
        Tysabri

Comment

What happens when the evoked potentials show lesions but MRIs don't and an LP is negative?
          It's not fatigue. It's a Superwoman hangover.

Comment

Originally posted by lusciousleaves View Post
            What happens when the evoked potentials show lesions but MRIs don't and an LP is negative?
            Evoked potentials don't "show lesions." For the purposes of MS, evoked potentials measure the speed of electrical transmission. If the speed is below normal, demyelination is suspected.

An abnormal evoked potential isn't diagnostic of any one condition. Without further differentiating data, a diagnosis is difficult or impossible. Since demyelination isn't specific, a neurologist would be hard-pressed to come up with a diagnosis based only on abnormal evoked potentials.

The McDonald criteria allow for a simplified diagnosis of MS. A diagnosis without MRI evidence is still possible, but it would be made outside the scope of the McDonald criteria and it probably wouldn't happen quickly. There has to be sufficient evidence of dissemination in time and space to override the lack of MRI findings, and sufficient evidence to rule out other causes (remember that evoked potentials alone aren't specific enough to do that). That explains why only about 5% of people are diagnosed with MS without MRI findings.

Comment

Helpful!

Thanks for this thread - that was very helpful to me.
              ScooterBuddy

Comment

O-Bands?

How many O-bands are indicative of MS I have 4 and the symptoms however doc does not want to dx just yet. I have been tested for many, many diseases, neuro, RA, Lupus, Sarco, DM type2, STIs all negative. Also when you say lesions on the spine are you saying the thorasic spine or the c-spine?

Comment

Originally posted by nee619 View Post
                  How many O-bands are indicative of MS I have 4 and the symptoms however doc does not want to dx just yet. I have been tested for many, many diseases, neuro, RA, Lupus, Sarco, DM type2, STIs all negative. Also when you say lesions on the spine are you saying the thorasic spine or the c-spine?
                  The standard is 4 or more, but 0 in the corresponding blood sample. I do not know your story, but your physician also looks at other things in the CSF analysis like the IgG index, the Myelin Basic Protein, and a host of other MS markers.

All of these in conjunction with your MRI results give them a picture of your overall possible diagnosis. If you do not meet the McDondald criteria, you will not be diagnosed. This is for your protection. Both in terms of insurance, and in terms of DMDs.

The questions about lesions in the spine can include C or T spine. MS lesions can occur throughout the spine, but has a certain look..shape, just like it does in the brain, that differentiates it from some other diseases.

On the flip side, the lesions also look like other diseases. That's why all those tests are done.
                  Tysabri

Comment

mirror pattern o bands and what size are the lesions when considered large

I have six lesions...all but one is regular oval shaped one is irregular...2 are in juxicortical area,2 pertiventricular and 2 in occipital horn(left and right). I have mirror pattern oligoclonal bands(2 bands in blood and spinal fluid). I am really confused about whats wrong with me. don't know if its left over from critical illness polyneuropathy/myopathy or ms. here's how my other tests read. normal emg's and nvc's...normal baer brainstem testing and normal vep's..I have a high d dimer,mid low vitamin d (30) and a high ch150 with everything else normal.

Comment

Originally posted by nana1968 View Post
                      I have six lesions...all but one is regular oval shaped one is irregular...2 are in juxicortical area,2 pertiventricular and 2 in occipital horn(left and right). I have mirror pattern oligoclonal bands(2 bands in blood and spinal fluid). I am really confused about whats wrong with me. don't know if its left over from critical illness polyneuropathy/myopathy or ms. here's how my other tests read. normal emg's and nvc's...normal baer brainstem testing and normal vep's..I have a high d dimer,mid low vitamin d (30) and a high ch150 with everything else normal.
                      Tough to answer. Your lesions are in the correct places for MS, but also for other diseases like MS. The D-dimer is high indicating possible blood clot somewhere which they should investigate.

What does the IMPRESSION section of your MRI say about your lesions? For example does it say: Consistent with MS, demyelination, or something else?

What does your physician say?
                      Tysabri

Comment

my physician says it could be ms...but he does nothing but ms..he is an ms doctor...right now he is going to have some blood tests done like von leiden factor five,homocysteine and protein c and s. the impression says there are a few foci of mild increased signal best seen on the flair scans near the frontal occipital horns in the lateral ventricles and in the juxtacortical areas. In the appropriate clinical setting these findings would satisfy the dissemination in space criteria for ms.

Comment

my physician says it could be ms...but he does nothing but ms..he is an ms doctor...right now he is going to have some blood tests done like von leiden factor five,homocysteine and protein c and s. the impression says there are a few foci of mild increased signal best seen on the flair scans near the frontal occipital horns in the lateral ventricles and in the juxtacortical areas. In the appropriate clinical setting these findings would satisfy the dissemination in space criteria for ms.
                          OK, he is doing the clotting factors due to your age possibly to ensure that this is not due to vascular disease. If they come back normal, you may or may not be in for an LP. The good news is you are close to a diagnosis. Have you been symptomatic long?
                          Tysabri

Comment

lp

I already had 2 lp's they both showed mirror pattern oligoclonal bands(2) same in the blood and spinal fluid.Five years ago I had bellspalsy and for three years I have gotten bouts of vertigo that lasted 2 to 3 days they told me it was due to a virus cause I kept getting bronchitis and hv1...then I had a strep infection in my lungs and next year after I had status asthmaticus and respiratory failure with sepsis...I was paralyzed from the medical coma...so I don't know whats ms symptoms or whats left over from that.

Comment

I already had 2 lp's they both showed mirror pattern oligoclonal bands(2) same in the blood and spinal fluid.Five years ago I had bellspalsy and for three years I have gotten bouts of vertigo that lasted 2 to 3 days they told me it was due to a virus cause I kept getting bronchitis and hv1...then I had a strep infection in my lungs and next year after I had status asthmaticus and respiratory failure with sepsis...I was paralyzed from the medical coma...so I don't know whats ms symptoms or whats left over from that.
                              Yes, probably due to the infection. 2 O-bands are not enough for dx. Must have 4 or > and only in CSF. Your case is very complicated. Your neurologist will go over it all with you. Hopefully thoughtfully. Sepsis can cause paralysis, I have seen it in the ICU many times.

I hope the best for you, let us know how it goes, OK?
                              Tysabri

Comment

Working...
                              X