Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any positive avonex experiences with relapses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any positive avonex experiences with relapses?

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone has been on avonex for some time and doing well?
    I have an appointment with my neuro next week and will be asking for it again as I was on it 5 years ago.

Would like to hear some positive experiences.
    Thanks

I was on Avonex for 7 years

And I never minded it. I made sure I was well hydrated the day of my shot and always used the mix it yourself kind.
    Only went off because we moved a couple of times.
    Only had 1 relapse while I was on it and that was 12 years ago.
    I started it before titration of doses came in. Right after it was approved for probable. The neoro offered me Beta when I had the relapse but I decided to stay with Avonex.
    techie
    Another pirated saying:
    Half of life is if.
    When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
    Dogs Rule!

Comment

I have used Avonex prefilled syringes compliantly since spring 2004. I believe it works and has been a positive experience, as measured by my lack of relapses (summer 2004 and early 2006, treating both with a three-day course of IV steroids and then a prednisone taper). I also use my running to gauge my overall health; my 5K and 10K times have held in a consistent range in the last eight years (although age and weight have slowed me from my college days), and I ran my first-ever half marathon last April in about an hour and 47 minutes. I notice symptoms sporadically, but I am not a “visible” MS patient.

Avonex side effects have been manageable, usually with rest, hydration, and two doses of Tylenol each week. But I despise needles, even when I don’t self-inject, so I stopped in Nov/Dec 2011 to try Gilenya. That stoppage lasted only seven weeks, as the side effects of that pill proved intolerable if not dangerous for me. Upon restarting Avonex, the typical flu-like side effects were more severe, much as they were after the first few doses in 2004, but they are now again quite manageable. I have never titrated. I expect to stay with the drug until at least a few months after BG-12 is approved and widely used.

Comment

I just started Avonex in May so I can't speak to the long term aspect. I was really worried about the side effects. I was started on titration & I think it really helped. I barely felt anything and by the time I was on my full dose I had no side effects. I still take it in the evening & drink plenty of water that day & some Aleve just to be safe.

I do have to say that the new Avonex pen is a miracle for anyone who is scared of sticking themselves with a needle! It's pretty fool proof to use, you don't see the needle & you just click a button. It took all of the stress and anxiety out of taking my shot every week!
        Diagnosed: May 2012
        Medications: Avonex - stopped 12/14
        Plegridy - starting 12/14

Comment

I have been self-injecting Avonex since June 96. I had some side effects, mainly fatigue,
          when I first started. They dwindled in time. For years now I have no side effects, don't even pre-medicate. Have remained stable with no attacks in all the years on it.
          I use the original powdered form of Avonex. For some reason I experienced some fatigue when trying the prefilled form.
          Been taking Avonex since June 96
          For me Interferon therapy is essential in slowing MS down.
          Will continue with the weekly injections and take my disease one day at a time...

Comment

Working...
          X