What does nerve pain feel like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does nerve pain feel like?

I tried to start this thread earlier, but my kids interrupted me.

I've been having more than the usual tingle/prickle feelings lately that I occasionally get with MS. For the past two (perhaps more?) days, I've been miserable. I have felt like those tingle/prickle turn into a stinging/burning sensation. It's mostly on my R side and that foot began to burn (not on the bottom; I've felt that before). Plus, I had foot drop (again) with that foot.

Was just telling the neuro the other day about some strange pain I was having upon walking; not on the bottom, but on the top of each foot. He called in another neuro to take a look at my feet. I have a nerve on each foot that sends an electric feeling/shock if you touch it.

I think I may be having a pseudo-flare (really hoping NOT a real one), since I've had so much difficulty with my lower back. Started with one pulled muscle, then (ironically) another. In addition, I had gained extra weight (apparently from a medication I've now dropped). The weight was all in my stomach/abdomen and seemed to make the backaches much worse.

Now, after overdoing things on Saturday evening, I haven't been able to do anything other than short spurts of fixing an easy meal or reheating one. Takes me all day (in spurts) to load the dishwasher, after my husband (or kids) unloads it. Today was the worst; felt no relief even with a muscle relaxant. It wasn't until after I took 3.5 mg. of Melatonin, as well, that I was able to rest.

After that, I managed (ok, was determined) to fix supper, but it wore me out completely. I was ready to cry. I tried posting this thread at the time, but my dd was having a "crisis" and I gave up.

Am I describing nerve pain (other than the other problems which may have triggered it)?? Anyone??

-Sherry

A few years ago, I felt like I had a line of fire running down the backs of each of my legs. I have steady aches that spike every once in a while in different places, but the steady ache remains.

Sometimes, places in my body itch so badly that I feel like a scratch them until they're raw. I call it nerve itch.
    Dx 12/2006; first symptoms about 1984, but maybe earlier--on Gilenya and Ampyra.

"God has a lot of explaining to do"--Frida Kahlo

Comment

Oh, that itch. Had it once where I really did scratch it with a fork. Interesting, if slightly bloodstained results.
      It sounds to me like L'hermittes sign in your feet if such a thing is possible. It probably isn't.

Comment

Well, thanks for posting this question.

For about a week and a half I have had severe pain in my lower back extending down my right hip all the way down to my foot. Always on the right side and some on left. that one I can deal with. I think I do too much so I rest, I think I rest too much so I do. I take tylenol, aleve or whatever added to my regular gabapenten, tegretol, prozac etc. I even tried a muscle relaxer and no relief. I called my neuro yesterday and waiting patiently for what to do.

I have slept on the couch because I twist and turn sooo much I keep my dh up. I don't work and he does so I try to let him sleep.

Help need more input from the more experienced.
        DIAGNOSED=2012
        ISSUES LONG BEFORE
        REBIF 1 YEAR

Comment

Sherry, you described nerve pain perfectly. It's usually either shooting pain, stinging pain, burning pain, with other variations thrown in there too.

I hope you're not in a "real" flare. I'll be keeping you in my prayers, my friend.

Big hugs,

Lisa
          Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
          Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
          Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

I've been on Gabapentin for nerve pain for a few years but mine wasn't the stinging, burning, itching kind, it mostly occurred in my head but sometimes in my feet. It was major, excruciating pain, like I whacked my head on concrete, only traditional pain meds wouldn't work... even the strong prescription kinds. Maybe I would experience some of the other kinds but due to Gabapentin, I don't. I currently have 2 fractures on my tailbone and Gabapentin does squat for that pain.
            Jen
            RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
            "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Eating ice cream

If someone without MS asked me how my pain felt, I would tell them it is like the pain you get when you eat ice cream too fast. The only difference is that the pain is in various spots on my body, whereas the ice cream pain is only in the head and only last a few moments.
              MS is not a crisis in my life. It is just a chapter within my life.

Comment

burning / stinging

my feet have pain like I imagine frost-burn feels like. soooo intense that its a cross between really cold & really hot.

additionally, i have burning/stinging (like street-burn) pain on my whole left side (only when touched or rubbed) - too bad I have to wear clothes I take a combination of Lyrica & Cymbalta. that controls it ~75%. and use lidocaine on patches. like where my shirt sleave or shorts touch and on my ear where my hair touches.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I will be certain to discuss this in my follow-up visit on Tuesday. The nerve pain, a return of my myoclonic jerks, and sudden extremely limited mobility put me in the hospital over the weekend on mega IV steroids.

I'm wondering if I'll be getting a rx for nerve pain and/or need to switch to another DMD. This is the third flare since September of last year. Not good.

As for feeling it in my head...yeah, I felt a stabbing sensation on the same side where I had the nerve pain. It went all the way down; could've drawn a line down the center of my body and said, "this side is the one."

Funny thing? I still had (even worse) that weird feeling of pain on the TOP of my feet when I had to get up and "walk" to the bathroom (assisted was the rule). It is a mystery to me, but I found that it was worse on my affected side.

Comment

Working...
                  X