Could this be one of my MS symptoms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could this be one of my MS symptoms?

Since dx last summer, I have spent much of the past year trying to stay as relaxed and stress-free as possible. For the most part, suprisingly to me, I've been able to do that. I started Copaxone 3/31 and was doing okay with everything up until about three weeks ago when I had a very stressful work-related event.

I'm a 12 month school counselor. The event was related more to personnel issues than anything having to do with students. Since that time, even though the situation has almost completely resolved, I've noticed that my shoulders, upper back and sometimes into my neck have been very tensed up, knotted, and sore. I used to have this feeling for years and had recently noticed that it had been gone for almost a year.

Over the past three weeks, I have tried using over the counter anti-inflamatories, tried a prescription muscle relaxer (flexeril), and today went for a one hour massage that focused on that area. Still there is almost no relief.

Does this sound as though it may be MS related? I'm trying to figure out if it's lingering stress or if it's the MS and something I should see about getting medication for. Does anyone else have this?

It might be. I had "sciatica" before I was diagnosed and was prescribed flexiril too. After being diagnosed I was put on baclofen. The baclofen works better, which told my doctors that it was related to MS spasticity. Have you spoke to your doctor about it? There may be ways they can tell. For m it was the difference in my bodies reaction to the meds.
    I don't fall, the floor attacks me. The corner of the bed is in on it too.

Comment

Sorry that I can't offer advice. But, I will follow this thread to "steal" the advice you get from others.

I havd exactly what you have been describing. I have a baclofen pump, but it doesn't offer relief that have up on my spine.

I have tried oral baclofen, advil, cold, ice, massage, stretching... you name it. Even taking my migraine medicine when things are so tight that I ended up with killer headaches.

I had an appointment last week and my neuro's nurse practioner commented that women tend to carry stress in that area. We also talked about considering Botox.

So sorry that I don't have anything great to help you- just commiseration!

Good Luck and Take Care

Comment

I was in worse pain today so I called and got another one hour massage appointment (by the way, I go to a massage school where the students work on you -- $25 for a one hour massage; $15 if you make your appt via facebook. Can't beat it!). Before going, I researched techniques and asked them to try scalene release in addition to their other techniques.

By the end of the massage, I felt much better. I got in the car for the 20 minute drive home and by the time I arrived home, the pain was back full force. For a change, I took an Aleve which surprisingly did relieve the pain for about an hour and a half. It's back again, though it's not fully as strong. I'll try Aleve again tomorrow (can't take it within 1 hour of laying down).

Comment

Seriously, try acupuncture! The release of tension and pain is wonderful, and the effects last longer than massage, in my experience. It is more expensive than your massage school, but insurance may cover it.

As to your question, I can only tell you that I had a similar response to stressful situations, but mine was one-sided (my weak/spastic side), which led my neuro to think it was caused at least in part by MS.

Comment

i get a feeling of someone standing on my shoulders wearing boots and a visegripe around the back of my neck .then the dizzy stuff happens it sucks i can live with pain but not dizzy ness i hate it it scary when you have to drive it sucks nothing seems to work just ginger ale to trick my mind it works sometimes .

Comment

Working...
            X