SEVERE Pain & Itchiness!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeast infection?

After facing this issue for several years, through two dermatologists, I discussed it with my internist, who quickly decided it was Seborrheic Dermatitis (dandruff for short). He gave me a 5-day course of Fluconazole supported by a topical foam, and instructions to use a well-known dandruff shampoo on my skin. he furthermore instructed me to let it set till nearly dry before rinsing it off. It's been a month, and I still have no problem with it. It makes one wonder about dermatologists.

Comment

I think I am in very big trouble. My arms hands and fingers are every bit as numb and painfull as my feet. I am looking at a very rough future.

Comment

I just don't know what the hell to do. I have bowel problems and have to cath. I am going to need live in help... embarassing help. I thought I was in hell already. Obviously I am really the only one who thinks this is an emergency. All I wanted to do was have the ability to play video games and it looks like it will be coming to an abrupt end. My hands have become very painfull even more so since my last post. My legs are doing horrible as well. It feels like I have no circulation. Like they have been tied off.

Comment

Boognish,

I just read through your thread (I had originally commented when you mentioned Prialt because I know it's only given by pump.)

I understand your despair, and the problem with access to doctors. We have the same problem in our area.

The ER is pretty much useless, yet since it takes 4-5 weeks to get an appt with my GP, or most GPs in the area, and I had the same experience as you with MS neuro...6 months wait to get in, we are often left to our own and it is an awful feeling. My pump doctor wanted me to see my neurologist last week, and when I called, the receptionist said, "Well you have an appt in Sept...do you need to see him earlier." I ended up opting for an appt. with the PA, but still had to wait about a week for that.

My pump docs, they're physiatrists, (I have a baclofen pump) are the only ones that seem to respond in a timely fashion. Have you tried the pump doc? What do they say?

There is not much "compassion" in medicine in my particular part of the country. There is no such thing as an emergency appt. (well, you can get it to see a physicians's assistant on occasion after a couple day's wait...but it's not the doc.) Walk-in's are limited in what they can do, but I've taken to using them for all my UTIs because the urologist office has you wait a few days, and when you're having the pain of a UTI, and need it cultured before you start antibiotics (which I have on hand)...you need to be seen right away, not wait with the pain for a couple days.

Seems to be a standard line around here from the doctors, "Go to the ER" when all I really want is to be seen for evaluation. Then the ER looks at you like you have 3 heads because they don't deem it an emergency, and to a person without MS, things may appear minor, but with us, things can escalate quickly, so we have to be seen.

I don't know what's happened to healthcare, but I believe the problem is not necessarily with the doctors, but with the staff you speak to, the message never gets through to the doc, I believe, and the staff says if it's urgent "get thee to the ER."

I have volatile BP from a lesion, and when I've taken several pills to bring it down and it stays high, my GP will say go to the ER and let them monitor it. But that just consists of lying in a room for 4 or 5 hours while they have me hooked up to a BP monitor...and waiting, watching for it to come down...which I can do at home, so now that's what I do.

I recently was sent to the ER by my doc because the doctors (I tried 3, the neurologist, the GP, and the urologist) didn't have an appt, and I was having flank pain, and had a UTI, plus the culture showed the UTI was one that could cause stones. Now I understand the referral to the ER in that case they can do imagining. But the ER didn't check for stones, justs said muscular and sent me away with a Rx for 12 Vicodin...I don't need the RX, didin't get it filled, I have a Rx pain meds to use on an as needed basis. I showed them the culture results, and I don't think they knew that stones are sometimes a problem with that kind of infection, and even though I mentioned it, they paid little attention

I wanted some investigation, and had none. The minute they hear MS, they make preconceived assumptions, I believe. I do believe I passed a stone a couple days later, and voila, pain vanished. I was wanting the situation evaluated, and they did do blood work, and urinalysis, but I was on a strong antibiotic and knew the urinalysis was going to come out fine. So I've pretty much vowed to stay away from ERs...too much hassle, no results.

Here's the joke, the ER said follow up with doctor within a day, my doctor takes weeks to get into see, even when you tell them the ER says you need to see him. So I ended up talking to his PA on the phone, and that was that.

I have not found the solution...from what I read on here, other areas of the country do not experience the same problem with access to doctors that I experience. It's not just me, this problem is common among many of my non-MS friends who live in the area. I've thought of seeking out a concierge doctor, or maybe paying a health care advocate (supposedly these are people with connections and can help you get into the doctor sooner), but have my doubts about either one of those options.

I hope you get some relief, but just wanted to write and let you know you're not the only one with the problem of access to docs.

Well, sorry for the rant, I know it doesn't help you, but I know the helpless feeling of wanting/needing medical intervention and realizing your options of getting help are so limited.

Hang in there!

Comment

My pain when I made this post was mild discomfort compared to what I'm dealing with now. It just kept getting worse. Doctors don't know what to do! My pain doctor disappeared on me Did not return any calls. I have not tried prialt. My Itching and pain is INSANE... My right foot is dead the only feeling it gets is pain. I can spray scalding water on it with nothing felt. Life is hell...

Comment

I know what you go through

I have very similar pain and have been going through hell for about a year and 1/2 homebound. I have had neuropthaic pain for about 15 years and thought that was bad, but then it showed me what bad really is. It goes from the middle of my back to the tips of my toes. If I go anywhere I pay when I get back so I stay home all of the time. I am in the shower many times a day just to get my mind off of it. It drives you insane. I have done the pain docs ers also to no avail. I do have a decent neurologist and she gives me meds. Right now the only thing that is helping at all are the duragisic pactes and that is very little.

Comment

Years later...

My left foot has gone totaly numb YET IT STILL HURTS LIKE HELL. Stinging itching numbness all hundreds of times worse. When I made this post my pain wasn't anything not even pain compared to this. All the doctors and neuros say is "sorry about your pain". They will not let me try prialt!!!!!!! They say insurance will not pay so I said I will pay out of pocket the doctor said some greek stuff reasons why they cant do it. I am having a very difficult time with MS. I am sure its nothing compared to some of you guys out there but my body is shutting down. I forgot to mention my severe muscle soreness that has been there for years and just got worse and worse. I still get up roughly every 30 minutes and spray hot or cold water on my legs. Now this is adding to the problem imminsely and I cannot stop doing it. I feel like a crazy person. I'm so close to the end of my rope. Had MS for 8 years and its already tore me down so far. They say the first 10 years is the barometer for MS prognosis. I must still have hope because I havent killed myself.

Its not dark yet but its getting there.

Comment

Feeling so sad for you!

I read your posts and see that your problem is getting worse. I know you must be near frantic!

Have you tried a chiropractor? I use a group called 'Upper Cervical' and they are great. None of the usual pain related to Chiropractic and they are kind and very effective. I also wonder if you have tried acupuncture? I've heard good things about that type of treatment.

I myself have suffered from a terrible itch which is not related to any rash or skin condition. I have the itch on only my right foot; it's very severe, but there is nothing that shows except occasionally when the itch is particularly severe my foot turns very red. My neuro says it is neurological. I've tried every type of cream and topical pain reliever. I find a product called Calmoseptic helps a little. When it gets very bad I often use a foot bath which I put tepid water in. It vibrates and feels good. I don't put anything in the water like bath salts or foot soak as it bubbles up. Don't need that mess.

Have you tried placing your feet on a heating pad? Sometimes that is helpful.

I even read that good old Vicks rubbed on the painful or itchy spot can help.

The drugs for neurological treatment are very harsh. I tried a couple that my neuro prescribed but felt like a zombie so will pass on those.

Have you been tested for diabetes? That can be a disease that causes foot problems.

I sorry you have so many things causing you misery. I am sure if even one thing would feel better it would help. I wish you well.

DianeD
                  You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

God, when I revised this in march 2013 I was in heaven compared to how bad my pain has gotten now. Its insane I am losing my mind I can't take it anymore I will not make it through this year there is no doubt in my mind whatsoever.

Comment

Mostly bedridden now this is causing the pain to go to levels of completely unimaginable pain and Agony. After getting up every 20 or 30 minutes for the past 2 to 3 years this is completely maddening. The pain of just laying here and exponentially getting worse is too much. Have only been mostly bedridden for less than a week, a lot of you people are way stronger than I. I don't see how you do it.

Comment

That really sucks. Very sorry to hear.

If I were in that much pain, I would try marijuana. Fortunately, my state allows it for medical use. There are now 23 states with medical marijuana laws.

Comment

Working...
                        X