What to do for MS Hug pain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do for MS Hug pain?

I have experienced the MS hug off and on since my diagnosis in September. For the past few days, though, it has been more than just annoying...it's PAINFUL. It feels like someone is trying to break the bottom rib off of my body.

Consequently, I also had an extremely stressful weekend. Do you guys find that stress plays a role in the "hug" pain? We really need a new word for it..."hug" just makes me angry when I'm in so much pain.

Any tips on dealing with/treating the pain?

A neuro will tell you it's sensory, and a lot of them prescribe meds like neurontin or the like (I'm allergic to neurontin, but have tried Lyrica and it did nada for the pain.) For me, it feels totally muscular and responds best to a muscle relaxer...like a low dose benzodiazepene.

First though, before I resort to a pill fix, I try alternating heat and cold packs at the level of the pain. Mine usually hits me right below my bra line and the squeeze seems to originate there...so I'll put a heat pack there, then in about 20 minutes a cold pack, and alternate for an hour or two. It actually does give relief.

Another thing I try is a sort of a stretch of those muscles. For me it helps to lean forward in my chair, sort of flex/expand those lower muscles around the ribs, and take deep breaths and hold them in order to prolong the stretch.

Everybody experiences the hug in their own way, some folks it hits high up in their chest, others lower down. But that's what works for me.

Comment

This may sound very strange, but when I get the hug I drink a very cold glass of ice water very fast.

It may be that the hug is a giant diaphragm spasm, somewhat like a perpetual hiccup. The ice water has helped me 99% of the time.

Good luck!

Comment

My friend the hug

I too have the dreaded new friend, the hug. I have had it since this started in very early April. Some days I also feel as though my bottom rib is being yanked off.

Recently I have been coughing when I lean forward because the pressure is so great I cannot breath. I cannot wear a bra and it is just plain uncomfortable, at best.

The neuro said it comes from the lesion on the "just right" part of the spine.

I have no idea what to tell you about helping it as I am in the same boat and gabapentin is not helping.

Hang in there sarahebeth!

Comment

Boa Constrictor

That is what it reminds me of and sounds way better than a hug because its not pleasant like hugs are. Snakes are gross so thats what me and DH refer to it as. I have found the only thing that works for me is chewing a 2 mg valium and waiting about 10 mins. Then I relax and it lessens and goes away more and more as time goes on.

STRESS has always been the main trigger of the Boa for me as well.

Good luck with finding something that works for you.
          LIVE LOVE LAUGH

Comment

Originally posted by struck-a-nerve View Post
            I too have the dreaded new friend, the hug. I have had it since this started in very early April. Some days I also feel as though my bottom rib is being yanked off.

Recently I have been coughing when I lean forward because the pressure is so great I cannot breath. I cannot wear a bra and it is just plain uncomfortable, at best.

The neuro said it comes from the lesion on the "just right" part of the spine.

I have no idea what to tell you about helping it as I am in the same boat and gabapentin is not helping.

Hang in there sarahebeth!
            I'm so glad to hear others have that same rib yanking feeling.

I took 3 ibuprofen yesterday and it didn't even touch the pain. I do have an prescription anti-anxiety med (Klonopin) that I rarely take. I considered taking a 1/2 pill to see if it would help...

Comment

Over the counter stomach cramp drugs sort of work for me.

I never knew the 'hug' or wrestler's death hold was a common MS symptom before coming to this site a year and a bit a go.
              I was thinking stomach cancer, or twisted bowel the first time it happened.

It was a relief to know it was 'normal'.

Comment

hug and breathing

Have nay of yo had the 'hug' so bad that it is difficult to draw a breath? Almost like a vice is keeping your chest from rising to breath? I have never had asthma, but from what I hear, this is very similar to asthma. I just cannot get a full breath of air in at times. Any others?
                Lisa

Comment

Originally posted by Lisasberry View Post
                  Have nay of yo had the 'hug' so bad that it is difficult to draw a breath? Almost like a vice is keeping your chest from rising to breath? I have never had asthma, but from what I hear, this is very similar to asthma. I just cannot get a full breath of air in at times. Any others?
                  Lucky me I'm experiencing the hug for the first time, but it's lasted 6 weeks now. I cannot take more than a shallow breath and no matter what I do, anti-anxieties or muscle relaxers or heating pad or ice pack, nothing gets rid of my pain. I still can't get in to see my neuro, he's always booked months in advance and my family Dr can't do anything for me.
                  When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on. ~FDR

Comment

Oh yes I get the hug so bad at times that I can't take deep breaths. I get it in my chest and upper back and it feels like I'm having a heart attack. That one has only happened twice now, and I must say I do not like it one bit.
                    DX 10/26/11

Comment

Hate it

I've had mine since 1999, but had no idea.

It 'rolls' from my abdomen up to my chest. The abdominal hug makes it impossible for me to bend over without holding my breath and praying I don't pass out.

The chest one is really special because I over medicated on asthma meds for over a decade, thinking I was having breathing problems. I would go for a lung capacity test and it would come out fine. I would always be shocked. Then we thought perhaps they were anxiety attacks.

Some hug.

Now that I found more comfortable bras that fit better, my Sx has improved.
                      Dx: 2/3/12. 6-8 lesions right medulla/cervical spine. GLATIRAMER ACETATE 40 mg 1/19, medical marijuana 1/18. Modafinil 7/18, Women's multivitamin, Caltrate + D3, Iron, Vitamin C, Super B Complex, Probiotics, Magnesium, Biotin.

Comment

I have been experiencing the 'hug' off and on for about a month. I feel like I have a band wrapped around me at the bottom of the rib cage. Called neuro because I felt like I was not able to take a deep breath. PA called me back and said "MS Hug does NOT cause shortness of breath!"

She sent me to PCP who said it was MS Hug. But he is running a gamut of tests to rule everything out and then will send me back to neuro. In the meantime I can't take a deep breath.

FRUSTRATING!

Comment

Having these so painful today, had to call the neuro's urgent line. No posture, stretch, or anything else giving relief. Have taken a tramadol and advil. Still having waves of this. Neuro said go up to 20mg on baclofen with the tramadol. Got so bad it made me sweat.

Just tried the ice water trick and think it might be helping. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try anything to get rid of this pain.

It's not fatigue. It's a Superwoman hangover.

Comment

Yes this used to be my worst symptom!! And Yesss stress, esp emotional and muscle fatigue made it worst.
                            I used to take 3 200mg ibruprofin along with a less drowsy muscle relaxant, Methocarbamol.

Now that I am on Rx Diclofenac for my lumbar spinal stenosis, along with Baclofen for spasticity, I think that combo works better. Maybe, MS hug is part of spasticity..what do you think?

Also, when its like a "boa constrictor" (good description) then I also use a lumbar wrap. I wrap it around my rib cage and it helps support those spasming muscles. They can get soo bad that it literally squeezes the breath out of me!!

Good luck. Like the ice trick too.. will remember that one!

Jan
                            I believe in miracles~!
                            2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
                            Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

I finally realized that the "gall bladder attacks" (which were ruled out by ultrasound are Hugs. Duh on me becuase I've switched from underwire bras to sports bras in the last year or so as my chest has been becoming more sensitive.

I was in the E.R. the other night for 10 dreaded hours and after I took a klonopin that I had with me, my "gallbladder" relaxed. After a frustrating night at the ER ("we have no idea what's going on"), I researched what had the same symptoms/signs (I guess I had positive "signs" for gall bladder attack) and it led me to the diaphragm....which led me to my good old friend, MS. I have had the hug on the other side in the upper part of my chest, but this one is new....debating on whether or not to bother with a neuro appt or to "suck it up".

Sorry for the digression, Klonopin and relaxation, biofeedback techniques work the best for me.
                              Insanity is doing the same thing over and over then expecting a different result
                              "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death" -Earl Wilson

Comment

Working...
                              X