Question: Rebif & Malic Acid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question: Rebif & Malic Acid

I am considering supplementing my already ridiculous horde of meds and supplements with Malic Acid & Magnesium, I cannot find anything online to see if there is any drug interaction with the Rebif. Any suggestions or input would be appreciated.

Have you tried calling the manufacturer to see if the combination(s) are counterindicated?
    Dx RRMS 2008/Kesimpta Feb 2023
    UNbalanced Dog Trainer - Accredited pet dog training instructor

Comment

I doubt there are any interactions. Malic Acid is in fruit and Magnesium is in vegetables, nuts and seeds.

I think it's a smart idea, along with Calcium 2-AEP and vitamin D.

Malic Acid and Magnesium should reduce any fatigue and pain along with quite possibly slowing MS disease progression. Malic Acid is a precursor to Fumaric Acid in the Cytric Acid Cycle and the new Biogen BG12 drug is derived from Fumaric Acid in the form of Fumaric Acid Esters, or Dimethyl Fumarate.

For all we know Malic Acid may be just as effective as BG12. Apple Cider Vinegar, which is loaded with Malic Acid, is already known as a home remedy for MS as well as Psoriasis.

Guess what BG12 is already used for? Psoriasis. It's called "Fumaderm" and has been used for years in Europe.

I take 600mg Malic Acid 3X daily.

Comment

No, I have not. What a wonderful idea. Hopefully they can provide the info I seek. Thank you.

Comment

Thanks, Knuckle, it's all the hub-bub over BG-12 that has me looking at Malic Acid as a supplement. Out of curiosity, how much Magnesium do you take? I was a little surprised at how hard a time I am having finding Malic Acid. I thought Walmart had everything! I already take calcium, D3 and B12.

Hoping it helps with fatigue, can't afford provigil, and the other supplements suggested have been ineffective.

Comment

hobbit,
            I would raise this question with the doctor that prescribed the Rebif for you. You paid your fee for consultation, you deserve the benefit of the doctor's best advice !
            I don't expect you will get an answer as clear as what knuckle posted. But your doctor owes you his advice. If you have a hard time finding Malic acid pills, try to find Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar. It isn't as difficult to swallow as some have posted. And I truly think it is showing me some benefit. Here is the BEST part. It isn't toxic !!
            First... do no harm ! That's a novel concept...huh ! lol
            Good Luck

Comment

I buy Malic Acid for $2.99 a bottle at Swanson's online. They make a version that includes Magnesium as well.

Something you may also want to look into is Zipfizz. Zipfizz is an energy drink, like 5 Hour Energy, but you mix it in water and it's about a dollar a serving.

If you check out the ingredients in Zipfizz, like 5 Hour Energy, there are many which have been studied to be beneficial to MS.

I recently bought some and have a glass with lunch if I need a little boost. It comes in different citrus fruit flavors and you can adjust the concentration with the amount of water to suit your taste. For the next six hours or so you feel pretty sharp.

Personally, whether Malic Acid, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Acetyl L, Carnitine, 5 Hour Energy, or Zipfizz, all are worth trying before resorting to Providgil. And you get the added benefit that these supplements/products may be helpful in slowing MS disease progression.

Comment

I tried.

I spent several months trying ALA/ALC , increasing dosages with no effect. My neurologist, sigh....., is a very nice old man who writes out prescriptions and tells me I'm doing great and then he talks cars with my husband. He's not exactly proactive.

Comment

Originally posted by JerryD View Post
                  hobbit,
                  I would raise this question with the doctor that prescribed the Rebif for you. You paid your fee for consultation, you deserve the benefit of the doctor's best advice !
                  I don't expect you will get an answer as clear as what knuckle posted. But your doctor owes you his advice. If you have a hard time finding Malic acid pills, try to find Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar. It isn't as difficult to swallow as some have posted. And I truly think it is showing me some benefit. Here is the BEST part. It isn't toxic !!
                  First... do no harm ! That's a novel concept...huh ! lol
                  Good Luck
                  Or hobbit can try Eden Apple Cider Vinegar. It's been around for a long time, is fully natural, is a macrobiotic staple , and tastes good. It may be easier to find than Bragg's, and it happens to be what I use personally.

Comment

Working...
                  X