upset stomach snowballs into panic attack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

upset stomach snowballs into panic attack

Hello, All. Hope you all are well (as can be expected ).

Last night I was overcome by horrible cramps and had an upset stomach. I have had panic attacks in the past, since I was a child, but this one was really bad. I couldn't get in touch with my husband. I had my son at home (5 years old, autistic). I got so weak, I felt like I couldn't even walk. I was afraid I couldn't take care of my son.

Now, how this relates to MS. I think I get so much weaker and tired, even tingly skin, lips go numb when I have any illness. All I had was an upset stomach. By the end of it, when I finally heard back from my husband I had calmed down (and so had my stomach).

Does anyone else notice yourself feeling weaker and way worse than you used to when you got sick?

I think the bad panic attack would explain the upset stomach.

It's a bit chicken and egg.

Are these panic attacks getting worse? I'm sure you're already seeing a doctor, so tell them, if you haven't already.

MS wouldn't be helping, either.

I haven't a cold or the flu since starting Copaxone five years ago, so whatever it's doing, it's not suppressing my immune system.

Comment

Just looking for a little encouragement.

Thanks for your reply. The upset stomach absolutely caused the panic attack. It used to happen a lot. I get stomach upset often which sometimes leads to vomiting as well. I feel so out of control.

MS has drained me. Some days I don't want to bother getting out of bed. My husband is a chaplain, so he is often out of contact for hours at a time. My family doesn't live near by. My son has autism. I feel like I don't have anyone to count on.

I should be able to deal with this on my own, but I just don't have the energy. I fall apart quite easily.

Hope a little bit of self esteem will start to creep back in.

Comment

It sounds like you could definitely do with some more support. Having a child with autism is hard enough to cope with.

I think you're doing pretty well. It's hard when you feel like you have no support.

Best wishes.

Comment

Some people have symptoms that always precede a panic attack. These are called 'auras', the same as for epilepsy. It seems these symptoms cause the panic, but it's actually the panic attack that causes those symptoms.

It's not necessarily a bad thing to have warning signs of an impending panic attack, in a way. Mine used to come on with no warning. Sometimes I was driving when they started, which is what led me to seek treatment for them. I was scared to death I would wreck my car, which made my anxiety worse, causing more frequent panic attacks.

Comment

Working...
          X