Hug is so bad today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hug is so bad today!

I had been doing so much better with the Lyrica. But last night the evil HUG clawed its way through my Lyrica shield and sunk its talons into my ribs and spine. It hasn't started climbing up and down, so it could be worse.

(I was going to add, could be raining. But it is raining here today!)
    Proud Mom of three kids!
    dx'd 1996

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well

I've never had the MS Hug so I don't know what it feels like but it sounds awful. I just have the ice pick in my ear....lol.

Hope your pain settles down soon, if not, ask your neuro if you can take more.
    Dx RRMS 1999
    On Rebif

Comment

I'm getting very scared. The hug is now always at a 5 or worse. Best case, it feels like I'm wearing an iron belt right under my bra line. But as it gets worse, it spreads down to my hips, so that my entire torso is squeezing.

Yesterday I was walking down an aisle at a store and suddenly felt my left buttock and down through my left leg like a Charley-horse feeling. And then last night I felt like I was having a heart attack. I had so much pain behind my breastbone and radiating out. I was having trouble swallowing and a little trouble breathing. I took a Zanaflex and tried to calm down, and after a little while it eased off.

I am so scared that Lyrica has stopped working for me, just like everything else I've tried. Mobic, gabapentin, clonozapem (something like that), others I can't remember. But Lyrica lasted the longest; I thought I'd finally found something that worked.

I cannot live with this pain. I'm calling my neuro on Monday and I am praying she'll have a few more options for me. Please pray for me that I'll find something that works again!
      Proud Mom of three kids!
      dx'd 1996

Comment

You could call your doctor to RX a better drug to your local drugstore (have the ph# ready).

Baclofen? Do you have that? I also used to use Rx Methocarbamol (less drowsy muscle relaxer) with 3 ibruprofin 200mg each. AND I would wear a lumbar velcro wrap to hold those spasming muscles in tight.. and that would help me move (and breath).

Mine USED to be soo bad that it literally squeezed the air out of my lungs and froze me in place!! Then I was given RX Diclofenac and that seems to keep it away along with the RX Baclofen for spasticity.

Sorry hon.. I know how it feels.

Gentle Hugs, Jan
        I believe in miracles~!
        2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
        Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

i was about to ask a question about Hugs but noticed yours. First let me say - it must be miserable! I sure hope they can find something to help you through!

I have been having something lately - but am not really sure it is the same thing. My ribs hurt! Like you are saying - right at the bottom of them. Sometimes when i touch them it actually feels like they are poking out further than normal. I'm not sure it is a squeezing feeling but they feel achy and in the way - like too big..... does that sound similar?

i have mentioned it to my neuro but don't seem to be doing a very good job describing it.

I am on Baclofen and can say that it does seem like it helps some. But I can't convince myself for sure!

Sure hope you get some relief!!

Comment

OH the hug.... ouch!!! I have that too. Most days its just wrapped around my mid section and some days its just in the ribs in the front. On occasion its by my spine. Just a very ugly part of MS. I take baclofen for that. It worked at first then started to lose its power and doc upped the dose and its working good now just wish it would last longer. I also take amitriptiline for the pain. I figure its awesome because its a two-for... for pain and depression. Works good. Just wish it lasted longer too. I have the leg spasms and pain all day everyday. At least I can finally sleep.

Comment

I need to ask my neuro about Baclofen and amitriptiline. I haven't tried either of those yet.

Talked to the neuro and she called me in a rx for a steroid pack. I hate steroids; they make me so sick. And will it even help?

I think the hug takes many different forms. I would describe it as burning and also like someone has stabbed me in the back. I could circle the place on my spine where the pain is coming from. But the MRI showed nothing there. X-rays have also shown nothing wrong, like a disc or bone spurs. I am ready to say, Cut it open and look! There has to be something there that is causing this pain!

My ribs are very tender but not protruding. Sometimes everything clenches up so tight that I have trouble breathing or it feels like a heart attack.

Also lately I have had this thing where when I eat, it seems like my food gets stuck right at the top of my breastbone. It feels like I need to "wash it down" with a big gulp of water, but that just makes it worse. I don't know if it's a side effect, or because of dry mouth (which I suffer from all the time now), or if it's the hug.

Proud Mom of three kids!
              dx'd 1996

Comment

You are in pain and discomfort and want relief. But trust me you do not want surgery for this.. you want relief bad though.

It sounds more muscular/inflammatory which can be helped. And the food getting stuck is something to bring up to doc too, but dont know what they will do except a swallowing test. Someone may show you techniques to help that out.

I ended up having 2 EDG (tube/camera) down throat/esophagus and was dilated which helped with the choking/swallowing problem. But thats a gastroentrologist.

So..get ahold of your doctor and see if baclofen or other meds could help more. Don't forget gentle stretching and ice is which is something YOU can do right away. But the inflammation needs to be addressed for total relief.

Good luck and let us know how its going ok?

Warmly, Jan
                I believe in miracles~!
                2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
                Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Working...
                X