What's best for depression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm taking

a low dose of Effexor which seems to be working very well for me right now. I'd prefer running, but I'm just not up for that right now.
    Melissa (dx. 3/22/2011)

Comment

How can you tell the difference between "MS depression" and regular depression?

I'm currently taking Wellbuterin and have on and off for several years. It doesn't seem to be working as well lately, so my doctor is adding Zoloft. (Which I need to check on, because my pharmacy never got the prescription!) Evidently it's okay to take them together, but I haven't tried them yet. I hate having to take meds, but sometimes they're necessary.
      Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
      Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
      Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Originally posted by Shashi View Post
        How can you tell the difference between "MS depression" and regular depression?
        There is no difference between "MS depression" or "regular depression." There is no such thing as MS depression, it's simply...Depression and is treated as such.
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
          There is no difference between "MS depression" or "regular depression." There is no such thing as MS depression, it's simply...Depression and is treated as such.
          Thanks, Snoopy. I was just wondering because KiKi1858 was talking about MS depression and regular depression like there was a difference.
          Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
          Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
          Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Originally posted by Nebbykoo View Post
            I know she wrote 'organic'. I want to know what she meant by that, because depression is always 'organic', whatever one may think caused it. So I want to know what would constitute a depression that is not organic.
            From my understanding, I don't think depression is always organic. I feel depressed sometimes but its not for a long period of time.. it does go away.. I don't need an AD for it.

I am in menopausal stage and that can cause some depressed feelings.. but nothing I can't handle. Now my anxiety can be organic.. I've had anxiety for as long as I can remember.

There has been times that it would come and go depending on what is going on in my life, etc. But I do take a small dose ativan which helps. Well, I have a lot of muscle tension/tightness so I take it more so now to help my body relax.... I think spasticity is making my body tighten up.. HATE ALL THIS TIGHTNESS.

I hope you find the right med that will help you... I tried Zoloft but it made my anxiety a bit worst.. I know they say it takes 2 weeks to work but I could not get pass day 2. I wonder if it will help with my tension/tightness???

I may just up my ativan - right now I only take 1/2 .5 which is hardly anything. I may start taking .5 a day and see if I notice a difference in my tension/tightness.

Jay

Comment

KiKi....13 medications? what?

I take 6 prescription (really should be 7) doc wrote me a script for Nuvigil....but I haven't filled it yet.
              13, really seems like a lot.

Neurontin
              Klonopin
              Zanaflex
              Amitripyline
              Imitrex
              Lortab
              I also take:
              Vit D3
              Vit B12
              Magnesium
              DX: RRMS Jan 2010 -- LDN: Mar 2010-Dec 2010, Tysabri: Feb 2011 reaction, Gilenya: Aug 2011 reaction, Copaxone: Oct 2011 reaction, Tecfidera: May 2013 reaction

Comment

lexapro

I have taken paxil, prozac and now am on lexapro. Paxil made me feel zombified. Prozac worked well until it stopped working. I ahve been on Lexapro for several years and it works well for me.
                Good luck with it.
                ~seeuinct (Connecticut)
                Dx the first time: 10/25/11
                Avonex 1/12-10/12
                Revaluation of Dx 10/12
                Rediagnosis 7/14

Comment

Positive experience

I am a Nurse Practitioner by trade, which plays a part in my decision to start sertraline for depression. After my diagnosis, I was having difficulty with coping and began therapy. I realized that I actually did need a medication to boost the level of neurotransmitters in my brain. I chose sertraline because of its mild side effects, and it was actually an "activating" medication, which improved my fatigue. I definitely plan on staying on my antidepressant

Comment

I think I take sertraline. Is that the generic for Zoloft?

My DH is looking for a better med. He is on Prozac and IMO it is not helping him at all. Like most people, his depression is both organic (chemicals in his brain aren't working properly) and inorganic (he hates his job, his wife has MS).

He has a terrible temper. Really ugly and almost violent. It snaps so fast that we (me and the kids) don't have time to get out of the way. I think anger management would be wonderful for him but he will never do that. And I'm losing control of myself, too. I don't know if it's meds or MS, but I am almost like an Alzheimers person.

Anyway, he's been on Paxil in the past, but that is so hard to get off of. He's been on Buspar and Cymbalta. It's difficult to remember everything he's tried in the past. And he hates being on meds because he feels it deadens his creativity and he can't write (he wants to be the next great American author). It's too bad he can't be creative and also be easy-going.

This is a terrible thing because I am finally feeling happy again. My pain is much improved, and I just feel more optimistic and interested in life. But he's feeling worse and worse. How do you force someone to get help? Esp. when that someone is the breadwinner for the family and our only means of support?

Example of how bad it's become: we = me and the kids. That's how I think now. It's me and the kids against their angry, violent dad. He's not abusive physically, but it might be considered emotionally and verbally abusive.

What is there that can help him feel happy and also less irritable?
                    Proud Mom of three kids!
                    dx'd 1996

Comment

Depends on your symptoms. If you are feeling anxious with racing thoughts, Lexapro will help. I take 20mg. No side effects that I notice.

If you are having trouble with low energy and desire to move, Wellbutrin is a great activator.

Thankfully, depression is something that is very treatable and we understand. You will feel better.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkgirl View Post
                        I think I take sertraline. Is that the generic for Zoloft?
                        Yes Hawkgirl......Sertraline is the generic for Zoloft!
                        DX: RRMS Jan 2010 -- LDN: Mar 2010-Dec 2010, Tysabri: Feb 2011 reaction, Gilenya: Aug 2011 reaction, Copaxone: Oct 2011 reaction, Tecfidera: May 2013 reaction

Comment

I read something from England where they found antidepressants don't work all that well for MS patients. (Yes, another bonus from the wonderful world of neurodegenerative disorders.)
                          Talk therapy is apparently better, which suggests to me that MS depression is reactive, rather than organic.

Comment

to hawkgirl

Just wanted to tell you that AD's can stop working if you have been on them for a while. My doc had to switch me from prozac to lexapro.
                            For your husband- there has to be an AD to help with anger. I'm no expert but I think the anger might be tied with depression. If the anger is not more under control it could suggest the depression is not either and therefore the AD is not working to it's fullest potential.
                            ~seeuinct (Connecticut)
                            Dx the first time: 10/25/11
                            Avonex 1/12-10/12
                            Revaluation of Dx 10/12
                            Rediagnosis 7/14

Comment

I'm with JulesA. Have been on ADs for years with varying degrees of success. Finally took my Neuro's advice and saw a psychiatrist. He's changed me again, and added one and I have been better than I have for a long long time. A psychiatrist can evaluate ALL your meds and work with them. Good luck.

Comment

when i get depressed i just look at my lovely family and i am thankful that i am around and that pulls me out of my funk......Also in the past 30 years or so seems like i have been thru h ell and back , so i just learn to deal with stuff and remind myself yesterday was the easy day and move forward..... makes life that more enjoyable when you have things you have to fight thru

Comment

Working...
                                X