Antidepressants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antidepressants

I am looking for a suggestion on which AD to take. I have anxiety....lots of anxiety and I need to find a long term medication to help me. I have taken Prozac in the past, but had too much weight loss really quickly. I recently tried Lexapro, but it causes me nausea. I have been taking klonopin occasionally when I get really anxious, but I know that it isn't a long-term medication. Help! Suggestions? What has worked for you?

I had to try several ADs before I found one that was a good balance of effectiveness/side effects. Took me a while but ended up on Paxil and it worked for me.

Comment

After gaining too much weight on Paxil, I switched to Effexor XR. It seems to "calm" my anxiety.

Best of luck finding your "best" AD tx.
      Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's learning to dance in the rain!

Comment

I use LDN and that's all. I do not use any dmds as some of them can cause depression. LDN helps with fatigue, reduce relapses, and slows progression. It also helps your body produce more endorphines (your natural "happy" hormone) Therefore your pain level goes down as well. LOVE LDN!!
        Love, Laugh, Live...in this order
        Dx'd 2-24-11 - Baclofen 60 mg/day 5-11, LDN 4.5 mg/day 9-24-11, Cymbalta 60mg/day for pain 11-11

Comment

I've been on quite a few things (I think everything). Effexor for the longest time of all of them, but at the max dose. It worked the BEST, but I guess after 3 years my body didn't like it anymore.

I've been on Klonipin for probably 6 years now, only at night and only 2mg. I don't crave it - which some of the info out there says might happen because it's habit forming (different than addictive). I don't have to take it but I know it helps and you absolutely can't stop it cold-turkey. I have "permission" to take it during the day if I have an anxiety attack and I have had to do that a few times. The psych originally gave it to me to stop the anxiety I had when I slept - nighmares and severe clenching of my teeth (cracked two molars and bitten through 2 mouth guards so far).

I never heard of LDN until this site and I'm going to look into it. I don't like taking a lot of medications and being either severely depressed or bipolar (verdict is still out, a new doc this week) I have to be on something so the less meds the better for me.

I thought the only true anti-anxiety meds were benzodiazepams (klonipin, ativan, valium, etc.)? I know antidepressants take the edge off but that's not truly what they are for, except that a lot of docs prefer them over the benzos because of the habit forming issues.

thanks for the info.
          This music is the glue of the world Mark. It's what holds it all together. Without this, life would be meaningless

Comment

Just wanted to offer this to you or anyone who's really serious about LDN. I belong to an invite only Facebook group for LDN. I think you may be able to request an invite??? I'm not sure. It is soooo helpful!! You can email me if you'd like for an invite. Otherwise there is an LDN forum much like msworld just for LDN.
            Love, Laugh, Live...in this order
            Dx'd 2-24-11 - Baclofen 60 mg/day 5-11, LDN 4.5 mg/day 9-24-11, Cymbalta 60mg/day for pain 11-11

Comment

Wellbutrin (generic, Bupropion) has helped me for a long time.

With that said, it might actually be worse if you are diagnosed as bipolar.

Be sure to follow your Dr's instructions.

Best wishes to you!

Comment

I've taken Wellbuterin off and on for several years as well with no side effects or problems. I also take Valium at night, but that's mainly because of really bad muscle spasms that happen in my ribs at night.

I hope you find something soon.

Hugs,

Lisa
                Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
                Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
                Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

IMO the most important thing is to find a professional who can address your anxiety/depression and who will not just throw a med at you but will help you find the right med.

I would recommend a psychiatric professional vs a neuro or GP..someone who specializes. And, what works for me may not work for you.

I couldn't take wellbutrin or 2 others. I now am on Pristique and it works well for me.

good luck.

j
                  Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

Thank you all for your replies! Does anyone know if LDN can be used with Avonex? That is the DMD I am on and I am planning on staying on it for now. I do not have clinical depression, nor am I bipolar, I just have extremely high anxiety right now regarding my health in general and ms symptoms that are lingering despite two rounds of IVSM. I don't know how people manage to have ms and not have anxiety....

Comment

You have to experiment, but different antidepressants are supposed to be for different things. For anxiety, Paxil (note the word pax in the name) is supposed to be good. But you just have to see because they work differently on everyone.

Comment

I agree with BigA - you have to experiment with lots of things sometimes. And yes, see a psychiatrist who knows those medications - very important!!!

Paxil made my eyes move back and forth, my boss even noticed it!!! It scared me, but it was also a little amusing for the few days I was on it. that's a powerful one but works for so many people!
                        This music is the glue of the world Mark. It's what holds it all together. Without this, life would be meaningless

Comment

Working...
                        X