ms and dental pain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ms and dental pain?

Has anyone experienced dental pain caused by ms? I have s ton of pain in my jaw that is spreading up my face. The ER.doc hold me its my nerves freaking out.

My first symptoms were one sided facial, tooth, and tongue pain. I was shifted from doc to doc. Even had a dentist remove a tooth (because they thought that was the source, and it wasn't.) Not to say that a tooth problem couldn't be causing your symptoms.

Tegretol and Neurontin helped with the pain. I became allergic to each of those after awhile. Now I take .25 mg of Klonopin to help with the mouth pain/weirdness and an anti-spasticity med because I came to realize a lot of the face pain was spasm and spasticity.

Call your neuro, get something to help...as I said, the best meds I think are probably Neurontin or Tegretol, they use that for TN pain as well.

Comment

Yes. The first time it lasted maybe 3 days. Migrating around lower right jaw occasionally on top right. Went away on it's own the day I was about to call the dentist.

Second time I ignored pain, thinking "here we go again"

In the space of 2 months...

severe pain, a dentist who couldn't find a thing, a 2 day hospital stay, treating the "bacterial infection" (their dx!), releasing me with "you'll be fine before the antibiotic runs out"

NOT. More pain, a GP suggesting an Oral practitioner, back to dentist who confirmed serious infection due to vertical crack in tooth (not detectable on xray or cat scan apparently) leading to slow painful death of nerve and finally.... fanfare.... extracted tooth. An end of pain, a loss of 8 lbs and heck of a lot of $.

Lesson learned: If it walks like duck...

Jer

Comment

Hi MandaJ,

I don't know if any of this info is of any help to you but here goes:

I don't have an MS diagnosis (and that means I certainly might have completely other causes for my symptoms) BUT I do have pain in my teeth/jaw, face, eyes (especially behind my eyes, ack! ack! awful) and ears which I believe is nerve related.

I do not want to rule out teeth and sinus issues just yet (even though my dentist gave me the all clear on the side where my pain started and I didnt have an infection of any kind during my bouts of face pain, except in the last days while I was suffering from a cold. Teeth problems or a sinus infection could, in the very least, be contributing causes)

My pain has triggers (like wind on my face and eating or touching my face when I am have lots of episodes) but mostly happen quite out of the blue. I also get a stiff feeling in my face when things are bad and have burning sensations etc on my face.

The pain in my teeth/jaw can be sudden or dull but it hurts. Man it hurts. Deep and dreadful. Like I need a root canal. Or anesthesia.

Neurontin really helped me, but it took a couple of days. I had an Rx for 2 times a day 300 mg and it took a larger part of the really intense pain away. I feel though, a third dose in the middle of the day would have really helped me. (I dont like taking meds, but in this case I did myself no favors by not asking if it was ok to take an additional dose. )

I hope your pain goes away and never comes back. It truly is the pits.
        *undiagnosed and just hangin' in there somehow*

Comment

My pain isn't directly due to MS but the steroids I have taken over the years.

Since it took so many years for a diagnosis and doctors handed me steroids as if they were candy I now have no jawbone left so eating brings tears to my eyes. I had surgery on one tooth and that will never happen again, worse than childbirth. So I eat soft things mostly and even that hurts.

While not being able to chew has its benefits to the waistline beware of the steroid treatments because it does come at a cost.

Comment

Dental

Seeing as we are talking about Dental here and a lot of us don't have Dental Insurance, there is help out there for us and is called the The National Foundation of Dentistry for the Handicapped, I can't afford dental and there were no openings in my county and I called and told them I make to much for help, have MS and can't afford so because of the MS they are sending me an application for help that is free, Donated by dentists, here is the link, hope it can help someone

{{URL}}http://www.nfdh.org/{{URL}}

Comment

Working...
            X