unbelievable pain in my ribs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

unbelievable pain in my ribs!

I woke up this morning with a pain under my bra line on my ribs on the left side. As I got up and started moving around this turned into a breathtaking intense sharp pain that radiates all the way around to my back (like a thin band). It is sometimes less intense but it is awful awful awful. It is only on my right side. Out of nowhere. (at first I thought I pulled a muscle maybe)

It is bringing tears to my eyes and I dont know how to move or breath without crying out. Holy moly. I just want to cry. It hurts so much. I am going to my doctor pronto to get my lung and heart checked. I had a pain similar to this in winter and I was diagnosed with Tietze syndrome.

I hope it gets better soon because it is just early morning here and this is the kind of pain I would like to hang myself.

Just sharing i guess.
    *undiagnosed and just hangin' in there somehow*

Could it be your gallbladder maybe? or pleurosy?...both painful Hope you get relief soon and a correct diagnosis and treatment!
    Susie

Eph 3:20-21

Comment

Costachondritis

Hi Bammaw,
      The dr. said its costachondritis which is an inflammation of the cartilage connecting the ribs to your breastbone (I had Tietze syndrome last winter in my upper ribs, and this is basically the same thing only this time lower and also in my back. No swelling yet.)

Things are better if I dont lean forward, bend or breathe deeply. My whole left side of my back feels like I was hit by a truck muscle-wise. Gratefully the pain has settled into the lower frontal area and sometimes around to the back but no longer the whole length of the rib.
      I am leaving work early and spending some quality time with my bed and a cup tea. (I want to avoid the steroids if possible)
      Thanks for the listening ear! When my body goes scary/painful I get panicky. I guess I am a little shellshocked from these past months (you know, the waking up with some yucky new symptom thing)

I was terrified this was some horrible new spastic thing, but instead it is some terrible new inflammation thing. Ahh, the joy.

Comment

I am sorry you are having this awful pain. THIS was MY worst symptom. Told it was costochroniditis, firbromyalgia and given a good muscle relaxant RX Methocarbamol..which helped if I added Ibruprofin 600mg.

Then it would go from a breath taking pain SPASM squeezing so hard I could not breathe or move. So I added a lumbar velcro wrap used for lower backs..but wrapped it around my rib cage underneath my top/blouse. THAT really helped.

Now that I am finally DX with MS and on Baclofen for spasticity (which I believe this is part of) along with Rx Diclofenac I NEVER get that symptom anymore!!!!

Stretching and the right meds help..along with that wrap which kept me moving and working.

Good luck hon.. it can be better!!

Jan
        I believe in miracles~!
        2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
        Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Ouch!! Bless your heart! I'm so sorry about the pain. I get a similar pain at times around my left side and my right shoulder blade, but was told it was muscle spasms (otherwise known as "the hug".)

I hope you get some relief soon!

Hugs and prayers,

Lisa
          Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
          Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
          Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Hi mjan, I was so hoping you would answer : ) (I remember reading you have had a lot of experience with this issue)

Well, I really dont think it is directly a spasticity issue, because I have had it before with joint swelling and I do believe I can detect some swelling again.

Spasticity joins up for me when the sharp pain comes the muscles around my ribs (chest and back) go into a spasm- the jabbing pain is definitely first. This having been said, just now while typing this I had a spasm/jabbing pain thing again, this time in my most bottom rib in the back. Afterwords my back muscles feel completely exhausted.

mjan, my DR (who is not my usual pcp or my neuro, or my rheumy- those last two being far away) prescribed gabapentin (sp?) and told me if I still have this by monday she wants to do a round of iv steroids. That kinda shocked me because when I had this the last time my rheumy gave me prednisone tablets and sent me on my way. I ended up not doing them (just rested three days in bed and waited for it to clear up- took about 8 weeks for it to be really really gone, but the pain was not unbearable)

Feel like iv steroids is a bit radical at this point. granted I wont be resting overly much the next couple of days for job reasons, but a huge dose of steroids is a bit major, no? And what is with the gabapentin? Have you ever taken that for this issue? (so weird, 3 months ago noone wanted to treat me with anything and suddenly I am getting steroids and gabapentin thrown at me like no tomorrow Kinda scares me.)

Shashi and mjan and everyone: however do you all get through all of this body stuff?!? I feel like I totally freak out when new things come (I do eventually get used to it) And yes, I totally feel like a complete wimp.

Its just seems like every day its something new. At this rate (and it has been like this since May) I get a rush of symptoms, then they get really really bad (like immobilizing bad) for about two weeks and after this point they start to clear up. When I get my energy back, feel stronger and more stable, bam! Some the same old symptoms start to act up in the background and in around 10 days (every time!) I get new acute symptoms. (in this case, the costachondritis isnt totally new, but the spasm joining it are). And also a few small irritants like BM problems or pinkel problems join in. Its exhausting. Is this one big "flare" or is it several smaller ones? (but they aren't 30 days apart)

Today, this pain, the muscle thing and everything: it has exhausted me. And I am afraid for what is around the corner.

So give me your magic secrets everyone, tell me how you do it!
            Lynne

Comment

Gabapentin did nothing much for ME..now that is MY experience. And I agree..IV steriods? A bit much..IMHO.

Sounds like a good muscle relaxant could help ALONG with an anti inflammatory..together ( along with that wrap) made a huge difference. TILL I got on Baclofen..then never had it again. And my spasms were sooo tight it literally took the air out of my lungs, I would gasp and stop in my tracks. How do you function/work like that?

It was my idea to get the velcro wrap..seemed to hold those tight and sore muscles and give them support.

RX Flexeril type muscle relaxants were too much..could not function. Trust me, a combo of meds worked well for me.
              Spasticity is not just spasms..its the muscles NOT working as loose..they TIGHTEN first..THEN spasm for me. Sometimes they are just so tight and no spasms.

Good luck hon.. hope you get the right med combo..and try that wrap..its sold at Walgreens/drug stores.

Hugs,..oh.. gentle ones, Jan
              I believe in miracles~!

Comment

I tried...

mjan, I tried to get a muscle relaxant out of her, but was unsuccessful, as this is a costochondritis and pretty much a inflammation thing. I would have loved to have some on hand just to see if it was helpful too.

Well, I'll get through it with the gabapentin and ibruprofen (not doing the iv steroids FOR SURE) and I will try to find a back brace to wear on the front (but I am in germany, so no walgreens and i am away on business for the next while starting tomorrow. I think my BF had one for his slipped disk a few years back. hmmmm.)

I was kinda useless at work, but the good thing is standing is better than sitting. Which is nice for a change

Thank you so much for the hugs and ideas! Have a nice evening
                Lynne

Comment

I'm having more and more of the rib pain. Sometimes I think sitting at a computer causes some skeletal problems on top of the HUG.

I haven't found any real help for it yet. Hope you will!
                  Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

I Have This SX too

I take zanaflex. It works well for me. The last spell I had was a few days ago. I was having a really bad day. DH insisted that I get a massage. The therapist did some work around my clavicle (sp?) bone and in my rib area. It helped tremendously. She's my new best friend.
                    “Never permit a dichotomy to rule your life, a dichotomy in which you hate what you do so you can have pleasure in your spare time. Look for a situation in which your work will give you as much happiness as your spare time.” Pablo Picasso

Comment

This is one of my major symptoms, it is terrible and very painful. Mine will go around to my braline in the back as well. Ouch. I am sorry you are having it too.

I take both gabapentin and baclofen. I am taking 2400 mg of gabapentin and 60 mg baclofen now, and still have some pretty painful symptoms. I did not realize muscle relaxers would help - I am going to ask/demand some.
                      Sasha - dx January 2011; tysarbi, zanaflex, gabapentin, and baclofen
                      ~Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.~

Comment

you guys too?!?!?

@ Marti, GiGi69, and Salamandertom:
                        you guys get Costochondritis too?
                        (I thought most people with MS get "the Hug"?) (they can of course, also get costochondritis, or any other disease, but costochondritis not all that common.)

Costochondritis and the hug, as I understand, are separate issues. (one being inflammatory and the other nerve/muscular)

I was wondering though, if inflammation of the rib cartilage can be caused by muscle spasticity? I read that people with a virus, allergies or asthma tend to get costochondritis or tietze syndrome (same thing, only with swelling) more often perhaps due to musculoskeletal chest strain (coughing etc.) Then wouldnt muscle spasms like from the Hug in your chest area cause strain which in return could cause a costachondritis? ....just thinking out loud.

In my case I have neither an MS diagnosis nor do I recall having "hug-like" symptoms before the pain came (the spasms and tightness in my back was simultaneous with the sharp pains of the inflammationin my ribs and chest.)

i just thought it might be an interesting idea for you folks.

Comment

OH my dear.. I can see how much you want to figure this out. Remember I had 2 dx BEFORE finally getting MS DX just last year. Costochondritis and fibromyalgia. All I know is that I had both..and now its called MS HUG.

I don't care what its called..just what helps it. After YEARS of this (my worst symptom) finally I have control over it with Baclofen and also that I am on an anti inflammatory med Rx Diclofenac for my spinal stenosis.. and I dont get that horrible pain and terrible spasms.

Good luck hon.. gentle gentle hugs, Jan
                          I believe in miracles~!

Comment

Rib pain

Left sided rib pain has been a problem for me for a long time. The whole area is even tender to the touch. I hate wearing a bra because of it and the bra is the first think I take off when I get home from work! I get a massage regularly and that has helped so much. I take a muscle relaxer only when I really need it because it leaves me feeling foggy for days.

This past week my primary physician told me that pain is not a part of MS when I was telling her about the constant pain in my low back and left leg. Really? Pain is one of my biggest symptoms.
                            Jeanette
                            DX RRMS 11/06
                            Copaxone 1/07-5/08 FTY720 Trial 2008 Gilenya 11/11

Comment

OH my dear.. I can see how much you want to figure this out. Remember I had 2 dx BEFORE finally getting MS DX just last year. Costochondritis and fibromyalgia. All I know is that I had both..and now its called MS HUG.
                              Yeah, mjan! I know.
                              I guess I am just so confused about my symptoms and never know where to go. Often if I have joint pain I dont know if I should be discussing things with my neurologist or my rheumatologist. Same thing with the Costochondiritis. (so I went to my PCP because they are also more readily available)

Maybe I shouldnt think about things so much. The problem is I worry my doctors arent either. Maybe I'm a worrier (how embarrassing)

Ok, Ibruprofen and gabapentin is the way i am going. I have diclofenac but I think that is the stuff that really ruined my stomach...

I tried the gabapentin last night. I am pretty shaky right now, hopes its not from that. The pain is totally manageable at the moment (I am working a lot and away from home since yesterday)

@cbos mom and gigi69: massage, is it really gentle? My ribs are sore to the touch. Message sounds scary

@marti: I think so too. I have more pain in my chest and ribs when I am sitting on the puter than walking around.

I hope everybody with chest/rib/back pain feels better soon! No matter what the cause!

Comment

Working...
                              X