Question about carbamazepine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about carbamazepine

I've had an awful Flare. I have been on IV SOL from Saturday.

My Neuro is out so I had to go to the ER and they also put me on Carbamazepine... I'm worried about this but find I have no choice but to try it.

Has anyone ever been on this and what was your outcome with it? Has it helped or hurt???

As you can tell I'm worried about taking it but find I have nothing else to take or just live with the burning pain on my face and feet....

Thanks for any info or just support.
    Dx MS Aug 2010 (after 2 years of searching)
    Started Copaxone Aug. 2010

Hello angelpach,

Carbamazepine is used for some seizure disorders, bi-polar, and pain. The only way to know if Carbamazepine will help is to try it.

I have used Carbamazepine to try and treat pain...it didn't help me, however, my doctor was not sure we were even dealing with MS or something else. I was on it for about 3 weeks and became suicidal. I am VERY med sensitive and your experience can be different than mine.

I hope it helps with the pain you are experiencing
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I am having awful burning/fire feeling on my face and feet. He gave me this for that. It does cause pain but mostly a very awful burning feeling.

I'm worried about the suicidal part.... I was taking something not too long ago and it gave me such awful panic attacks which also brought on suicidal thoughts and landed me in the ER where they found it to be an very rare reaction to the meds and caused me to have the suicidal thoughts and left me feeling like I was going to lose my mind.

So I'll keep a very close eye on this.

Thanks so much for that info.
      Dx MS Aug 2010 (after 2 years of searching)
      Started Copaxone Aug. 2010

Comment

I was on carbamazepine for 10 years for epilepsy. It is also very useful for nerve pain. My advice would be to just be careful with your diet, because it can raise cholesterol in some circumstances.
        Diagnosis: May, 2008
        Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

Comment

Working...
        X