Activity level

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Activity level

I know that this disease various from patient to patient but I am curious about how active you were prior to diagnosis. I have read alot of post that indicate that the symptoms shut them down and they cannot function.

How much would a person that has had "MS-like symptoms" for about 3 years still be able to do? Like could they do 6-8 of yard work in the heat?

Hello Tigergal,

Everyone will have a different story about how MS affected them and to what extent. This disease is truely different for everyone.

I have had symptoms of MS since childhood, I learned to not complain and thought what I was experiencing was normal.

By the time I was 24 I had already been married for 4 years. My husband traveled on business quite a bit and when he was gone I would take over mowing.

One day I was mowing and could only make it through half the backyard before my legs got really weak, pins and needles, numb and I felt so tired I went in and took a nap.

I felt better the next day, shrugged off what happened the day before and went out to mow. I had the same exact experience as the day before but it hit much quicker with more symptoms.

Those symptoms increased and more came, in a very short amount of time...scared the crap out of both my husband and myself. I went from PCP to Neurologist (PCP referral) to testing to diagnosis in 3 months.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Here is a list of famous people with MS, and it includes everyone from poets to Olympic Gold Medalists.

http://www.disabled-world.com/artman...s-famous.shtml

Simply MS does not care if you are famous, wealthy, are active, a scientist, entertainer American or Russian.

And as to doing yard work in the heat, LOL vary few people can do yard work in the heat we have been having lately.

I have been surprised this year by how much I have been able to do, I start Ampyra last year in May and think it took 9+ months before it started helping with my heat intolerance.
      My point is don’t give up and assume you never will be able to do yard work in the heat.
      Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

Everyone's MS road is different. As of last year, I was still able to do some outdoor activity for a bit. It wasn't until this year that being out in the heat really knocked me for a loop. It could be that your husband is merely "pushing through" or it could be that he's not having significant problems with the heat.
        Diagnosis: May, 2008
        Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

Comment

Working...
        X