Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how does the steroid thing work for flare up

hi,

so i'm just wondering how this steriod thing works for a flare up?

I'm debating using it. i'm in a relapse im guessing and the burning flesh sensation all over is a bit much i'm finding to cope thru.

i usually hang tough yet it's a rough one this time around. so if i decided to use them how would one do that?

i dont want to be admitted into a hospital if i chose this route, and neuro's not in today on a sunday. how safe are the steriods i've read some bad junk. also i'm going away in 6 days, do you think that's a safe route to go?

thoughts please as always i appreciate it

hope everyone's well and ms is at bay!!
    Jen Dx'd 5/11
    "Live each day as if it were your last"

well went to the e.r. today couldn't hack the pain. for four hours i felt so good and so pain free. it was amazing.

they loaded me up with valium and oxycodone. i slept on and off during that time. they didnt' want to infuse me with steriods becuase my dr said to go to his office for it tmrw.

so i drove myself home and gothome and all the pain hit again. they wrote me a script yet i can't fill it because all pharmacy's are closed on sunday's by me.

the four hours though was magical.
    Jen Dx'd 5/11
    "Live each day as if it were your last"

Comment

Hi, Sunshine,

I'm taking an oral prednisone burst and taper right now for a flare that started last week. I respond well to it and got immediate relief after the very first dose last Thursday. My symptoms were extreme and rapid worsening of leg weakness and drowsiness.

Prednisone is an anti-inflammatory, so if nerve inflammation is present, the steroid can calm it down. I think Solumedrol infusions are more popular these days; my neuro wanted me to do a three-day infusion burst because it delivers more medicine. I declined because I am a very difficult puncture--and because I've had amazing results with oral pred. That said, it won't necessarily work this successfully for everyone.

Hope you can feel some relief soon. Please give us an update.

Kim

Comment

Steriods for Relapses / Flares

I don't do well with the oral prednisone, but respond very well to 3 days of IV steriods. I have a nurse come out and start the IV and then I can flush and start the treatement the next 2 days. My family is all well trained on removing my IV and flushing with Saline and Heparin! It's easy really and I usually get releif by day 2.

Best of luck to you! Relapses suck!
        Dx - February 2011
        Copaxone and now Avonex
        Amantadine for fatigue

Comment

Working...
        X