Best OTC Med to Premedicate with for Beta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best OTC Med to Premedicate with for Beta

I finally got into my new neuro's office yesterday and we discussed my situation (PRMS) and he wants me on a DMD. I told him I've tried Copaxone and it did nothing so he said it's not an option. He pushed Gilenya, but I am hesitant to start it so I settled on Beta. My question is for Beta users. Which OTC med do you recommend to pre-medicate with?
    Rae Roy

There are several OTC drugs that can be used to pre- and post-medicate: acetaminophen, ibuprofen, naproxen, ketoprofen, aspirin. Of them, there is no "best." (Ibuprofen and acetaminophen seem to be the most popular, but they aren't necessarily the best.) They all work about the same (although they may not all work for everyone), so it comes down to which ones work best for you. I always used ibuprofen because generics are cheap and readily available, and it worked just fine for me.

Comment

I don't pre-medicate but I have chosen to only take ibuprofen for any sx I would normally take OTC meds for (headache).

My reasoning: acetaminophen can cause liver damage, beta can cause liver damage -- since I like my liver just like it is (healthy) & have options for OTC meds, I choose one that will keep my liver happy
      DX 10/2008
      Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
      Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
      Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

I premedicate for my Rebif with Naproxen(Aleve.) As was mentioned acetaminophen can cause liver damage and so can the Rebif. In addition to the fact that acetaminophen does not work for me.

Comment

Thanks for the answers everyone! Just got off the phone with BetaPlus and they are getting everything together to see if I can be approved for the Patient Assistance Program. *Fingers crossed!*
          Rae Roy

Comment

My choice with Avonex is Naproxen, far less pills to take and super cheap at Sam's.
            Bill
            Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

Keep it simple.
              Whatever you keep in your medicine cabinet for headaches/flu/hangovers/muscle pains should work.
              Just be aware you'll be taking it every other day for a while. That means you should do some homework to make sure it has minimal complications (search for things like liver effects, depression, blood pressure, etc) while also checking for a cheaper alternative (over time, big name asprin adds up in terms of cost).
              If you already have a name in mind, consider checking out your closest buyer's club/big lot store for package/bulk deals.

Comment

Actually, let me back up a minute. I don't want you burning $$$ needlessly right out of the gate (unless you also like to give out odd Xmas gifts like case lots of asprin).
                Its possible you won't feel any "flu" on Beta. I'd plan that it could happen, but at first just buy a bottle of whatever and see how you make out while you titrate up.
                In case you do get zapped with the "flu", its important to come up with a dosing schedual. Your Beta Nurse is VERY handy for this stuff. Just call and ask.

Comment

I can only hope that I don't have them. But with my luck... I'll have every side effect listed! LOL. My summer classes fall Mon-Thurs so I will definitely utilize her so we can get me on a schedule that will be do-able during the week. Thanks for the tips!
                  Rae Roy

Comment

Working...
                  X