Weird incident - metallic? taste in mouth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird incident - metallic? taste in mouth

I had a bit of an episode this morning and I am wondering if anyone else has expierenced this.

I was running an errand with my mom. As we got in to the car I felt an odd sensation and a metallic taste filled my mouth and a sense of smelling it in my nose. Its not easy to explain. I suddenly felt very "off".

I got out of the drivers seat and told my mom to drive. I have laid down most of the day and the taste has passed. I am really tired. I feel like I put the wrong legs on today and could barely ambulate.

It is difficult to explain this overwhelming sense of my body is just not right (more than usual). I have been having awful muscle spasms and MS hug all day. Has anyone else had something like this happen?

It is strongly associated with a B12 deficiency. You could do some research to verify. If you check out my posts under "MS Fatigue Causes" and "High Calcium", you will see the connection to B12 deficiency and MS.

Comment

Kat,
      This sounds like a seizure to me. I have simple and complex seizures. And this sounds all too familar to me. I also have MS. People with MS have a higher rate of seizures then the general population.

I would definately call your neuro today and just explain exactly what happened.

Wishing you the best, and please let us know what your neuro says.
      DX: RRMS Jan 2010 -- LDN: Mar 2010-Dec 2010, Tysabri: Feb 2011 reaction, Gilenya: Aug 2011 reaction, Copaxone: Oct 2011 reaction, Tecfidera: May 2013 reaction

Comment

I take a B12 supplement daily and recently had it checked. Those levels are all good. That was one of my thoughts also.

I told my mom I would call my neuro today, because she wanted me to go to the ER. I have been putting off calling, but I think its a good idea.

I will let you know what he says

Thanks.

Comment

There is so much confusion associated with B12 and how it relates to MS. Taking supplements and then having your serum levels checked is really misleading. The problem is the absorption of B12 into your cells. Here is a summary from a study on MS reported on in Neuroscience.

"These findings suggest a specific association between the timing of onset of first neurological symptoms of MS and vitamin B12 metabolism. In addition, since vitamin B12 is required for the formation of Myelin and for immune mechanisms, we propose that its deficiency in MS is of critical pathogenetic significance."

Since you noticed and increase in your MS symptoms as well as the metallic taste in your mouth that you are aware is associated with B12 deficiency, there could of course be a correlation. I am not saying you shouldn't follow up in any way you deem necessary, but just to be aware, that it is an absorption problem with B12 into your cells, not the amount in your serum. As far as the seriousness of this, it is of "critical pathogenetic significance" as stated in the study.

Comment

Then how do we get the B12 to be absorbed at a cellular level? I also have low Vit D...and IBS, so I know things are not absorbed well.
            DX: RRMS Jan 2010 -- LDN: Mar 2010-Dec 2010, Tysabri: Feb 2011 reaction, Gilenya: Aug 2011 reaction, Copaxone: Oct 2011 reaction, Tecfidera: May 2013 reaction

Comment

Daisygirl-- If you check out the posts I have made under "High Calcium" and "MS Fatigue Causes" you will get an indication of what is happening. Your Vitamin D issue is related to the calcium. You can read about this under the High Calcium thread. The book that I got all this info from has a full money back guarantee for any reason, no questions asked. You can just email the authors if you have questions. They have been very responsive. The metabolism issue starts with your pancreas. There are no supplements used, it is all corrected naturally.

Comment

Someone else had mentioned a metallic taste in the mouth could relate to a CSF leak. Maybe look it up and see what you can find. It might be worth looking into.
                I do not have MS. I have Whatchamacallit; and all of the symptoms are mirages.

Comment

The neurologists office returned my call this morning. The dr feels that I had an uncinate seizure. It was in an area of my brain with old scarring.

I can still drive and it does not sound to serious. I will go for a sleep deprivation study and start an anti-seizure medication.

Comment

Working...
                  X