Insomnia-Any ideas to help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insomnia-Any ideas to help?

Ugh...I can't not sleep. I've always been somewhat of an insomniac, but lately it is so bad. My doc has prescribed me Ambien, but I can't take because it makes me feel like crap in the morning. I usually take a benedryl at night, but lately that is not working. It's like I can't turn my brain off. Anyone else have this going on? How'd you'd make it go away. Any ideas would be helpful.
    Opiegirl
    Opiegirl, Dx 1991
    Have never used DMD's.

LDN 9/2011-9/2012 & just started again 6/14
    Estriol 9/12-present
    Still Hopeful.

insomnia is the pits

Hi Opiesgirl.

I am often an insomniac. I can go for days without sleeping more than an hour or two at a shot and then there are days where I can do nothing but sleep. It's annoying. I was also prescribed ambien. I hate it but I"ve discovered that it is better than the alternative, not sleeping. There are other meds out there that your dr may want to try with you instead that may not leave you so woozy the next day.

What worked for me with the ambien was to cut it in half, make sure I took it at least 1 hour before I wanted to go to sleep and I made sure I left at least 9 hours for sleeping. That little extra past the recommended 8 hrs let me function the next day.

Wishing you a good night's sleep...

Comment

I have the same problem. I feel fatigued all day, but at the same time I can't get myself to go to sleep at a normal hour. It's like two opposing forces are living in my body.

I sometimes enjoy a warm (not hot) bath, and put a couple of drops of lavender essential oils in it. Lavender is a relaxing smell. I read in the bath as well, reading gets me sleepy. I will sometimes make myself a cup of chamomile tea, with honey and vanilla soy milk. Chamomile is also considered a relaxing herb.

I don't like taking the prescription sleeping pills, or the otc ones. They either don't work, or they make me feel crappy in the morning. Using the natural remedies tend to work in the sense that they calm you, not drug you. I learned that a lot of my insomnia is actually me avoiding sleep, and if you can get yourself in the sleep frame of mind, it works well. Avoid caffeine a couple hours before bed, smoking and the computer/tv. All of those things can keep you awake/stimulate you.

Sometimes it's just a matter of creating a schedule for yourself, you have to be diligent about it..just like you would be about taking your medications on time every day. Make a sleep schedule, abide by it, because it can make a big difference in how you feel.

Good luck!

Comment

I have Lunesta but to be honest, it still takes a couple of hours before I fall asleep. I've found that a couple of Tylenol PM or Advil PM taken an hour or two before I go to bed helps me. Makes me a little sleepy and helps with the aches and pains of the day.

Comment

I've taken both Lunesta and Ambien in the past. I found that the Ambien definitely made me groggy the next morning. However, Lunesta didn't linger and I felt great in the AM. Maybe talk to your Dr. about switching to Lunesta and see how it works for you...

I'm off rx sleep aids currently but I've found that Melatonin (available in the vitamin/supplement aisle) is pretty helpful in taking the edge off. It was suggested in the place of prescription sleep aids by my pcp and is non-habit forming. I take 2 pills about 30-45 mins. before I go to bed and it works very well. I peacefully drift off to sleep and wake up feeling great. At $6 a bottle it sure beats shelling out $$$ for a rx.

Comment

I was on Ambien for a couple years and developed an ammunity to it. It also made me sleep eat. When I got off of it, I went through withdrawals because I had been on it for so long. It is a highly addictive drug.

I am now on Rozerem. It is a long-term medication and is non-narcotic and non-addictive. It takes a few weeks for it to get in your system but works really well once you get used to it. And you stay alert so there is nothing done that you won't remember like on Ambien.

It's a drug you might consider bringing up to your doctor.
            Rae Roy

Comment

Valerian. Not the pills..the extract. It tastes awful but is not habit forming and works. At some point I seem to get a little resistant to it so I knock off for a month and it works again.

Sometimes I will take a small dose during the day for anxiety.

I hate meds.
              Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

You can also try behavioral techniques if the medications aren't as effective (or have bad side effects)!
                Like MsBrilliant said, a schedule is always helpful. You can also try to "train" yourself to sleep by trying a few tricks:

1) avoid anything stimulating before bed;

2) avoid doing things (like reading) in bed when you don't plan to sleep - bed = sleep

3) focus on your breathing when you are ready to sleep - this helps you relax and shut your mind down

4) try tightening and then relaxing different muscle groups in progression - I start with my toes, hold for about 10 seconds, then loosen my toes and move to my ankles, etc.

5) If you try to sleep and can't for more than 20 minutes, get up and accomplish something (anything!) and then try to go back to bed - again, "training" yourself that going to bed = sleeping!

Good luck!
                "Be the reason for someone’s happiness, not just a part of it. Be a part of someone’s sadness, but not the reason for it."

Comment

Working...
                X