• Time
  • Show
Clear All

what do you do??

Hey guys,

I was wondering what you guys do for pain? (
    dx 7/2002 - on Rebif since dx...just changed to Copaxone 1/2011

"There is a difference between acceptance and approval"

I am recently diagnosised. So for now I have just been gritting my teeth. I did get a terrible migraine one weekend and took the narcotics my headache doctor gave me - and those took care of every pain I had - and toned down the migraine a bit. (I have a perscription for vicodin 750 mg) I don't know what to do about the pain honestly, last night my leg/knee/hip hurt so much, but I didn't know what to do!
    Sasha - dx January 2011; tysarbi, zanaflex, gabapentin, and baclofen
    ~Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.~

Comment

what i take

I take for pain narco and opana and lyrica. It helps a lot. Good luck

Comment

I SUFFER !!! The neuro won't adequately treat my pain and the local gp won't either. Then I cry and scream into my pillow at times.

To think I used to work in the health field. They all think I am drug seeking.

Yup. I suffer. I don't know what else to do. Some days I feel like giving up.

Comment

I am so sorry to hear those that have to suffer through their pain!!!! How in the world do you do it?

I have a wonderful Neuro, quite understanding.
          Currently,
          I take Gabapentin for Nerve and keeps the headaches down
          Clonzepam for the spasms and cramping
          Fentenyl Patch for pain relief. Change it out every 3 days

However I feel I get better relief from Percocet or Lortab. When it is seriously needed and I can control the dose. The patch is a continious flow of med.
          Found I have allergies to the Baclofen and Mirepex (sp.)
          Dx'd RRMS 7/12/2010, Back in the Prob. Pile 2/1/2011 "Jump, and you will find out how to unfold your wings as you fall”...Ray Bradbury

Comment

If you are not getting satisfaction being treated as a legitimate patient with a serious complaint, find a new doctor.

I am in chronic pain averaging 6.5 to 7 most of the time, shooting to 8+ depending on my day. Last fall I drew the line on the number and dosage of narcotic meds that would literally leave me in a stupor. That is not how I want to live my life so I weaned off and went through 3 weeks of withdraw.

I'm now down to taking Neurontin, Tegretal, Tramadol, Topamax, Clonazepam, and Hydrocodone. I know that sounds heavily dosed to most but with my situation I will tolerate what is needed to "live life on my terms" and deal with the rest on my own.

It is a personal decision and just "sucking it up and dealing with it" was no longer working. Neither does over prescribed medication as doctors tend to do.

I'm sorry you guys are having these challenges as they are a bear to deal with on a daily basis. Add to that a doctor who doesn't believe you, treats you disrespectfully and doesn't address your problems, someone needs to take action. Be your own best health advocate.
            Craig Mattice~Living Life On My Terms~
            No Excuses No Regrets!

Richmond, VA USA

Comment

pain

I suffer 24/7 and my neuro for years refused to prescribe narcotics for fear of addiction and I totally understand. After trying all the other meds neurontin etc... nothing worked because I would get at the highest dose and then the med becomes ineffective.

Finally I told him enough is enough and he referred me to a pain clinic. I had a wonderful dr. He weened me off some meds to try new ones, when that didn't work then he would try something else or increase.

Now I'm on morphine and valium and that calms things down but i'm never with out pain.

I have put it in God's hands as there are no longer any treatments that have worked for me. Tried EVERYTHING.

Just saw Neuro and he agreed until something concrete becomes available I will live as God wants me too. And that is not easy at times. I am now housebound unless someone takes me out. Now have hypothyroid, low vit d, low b12 and low iron. Had to have an endoscopy and colonoscopy at age 44. I'm on meds, supplements and gaining weight every day. Exercise causes more pain and fatigue.

So yes I am depressed at times, who wouldn't be. But it is what it is.

So find yourself a good pain clinic with a reputable Dr. that will work with "your illness" not just hand you scripts. My Dr. listens, spends time and we together discuss a plan. He is wonderful.

Hang in there
              Linda

Comment

i go to a pain clinic and have an intrathecal pump implanted that gives a low daily dose of morphine directly to the spine, then i also take tegretol daily, occasional ketamine infusions but not often, probanthine for bladder spasms that are pretty nasty at times. I have complex regional pain syndrome that came before the MS, then 2 yrs ago i fell when transferring from my wheelchair and sustained 3 crushed vertabrae in my lumbar spine- that has left me with spinal stenosis and compressed nerves leading to dreadful pain- without my pump working (7 to 8 most days and sometimes worse) without the pump i was on oral morphine (extended release) of up to 800mg a day, and fentanyl patches- lots of side effects and very little pain relief achieved- with the pump, 2.5mg a day gives good control most days - at one stay the pump had been increased slowly to 15mg a day and that is when they used the ketamine infusion to help "reset" the opioid receptors so they could achieve better pain relief and less side effects with a lower dose and it has worked

without the pump i could not work, could barely funtion as i live alone and was suicidal- with the pump i can manage to live alone with one hrs assistance per day at the most as well as working 3 ten hour shifts per fortnight. get thee to a pain doctor, its worth it- long term pain will wear most people down eventually and therefore reduce your level of function- thats my thougts

Comment

accupuncture

The neuros swear my low back pain is NOT related to my MS. So, I'm giving accupuncture a try. He has looked at my x-rays and MRI's and says i have degenerative disc disease and arthritis showing, he doesn't know if the accupuncture will work.
                  My EMI (Electro Meridian Imaging) tests were fairly good...organs higher than muscle-skeletal.
                  Have you guys tried accupuncture for pain, etc?

Comment

take D3 and calisum.
                    I had a lot bone pain- than Dr tested me D level it was xtremley low @ 4. (a blood test was coverd by my Ins.)

Since I got it back up to normal; I have little to no pain.

And it was very easy and cheep to do.
                    It took me a Rx for about 10 bucks and a tiny pill to take once a week for 6 weeks.
                    to maintain; I take a small d3 pill and a combined cal & d3 to get (2k I.U. of D3 Total) & (1200ml cal).

Comment

Working...
                    X