montel breaks;testifies medical mj for PAIN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

montel breaks;testifies medical mj for PAIN

A Teary-Eyed Montel Williams Makes Emotional Plea For Medical Marijuana Bill

On Tuesday, he was brought to tears while speaking in his homestate of Maryland as he described the immense pain he's felt every day for the past 10 years due to multiple sclerosis. Later, in Delarware, he told lawmakers that, the night before, he couldn't even

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/a-teary-eyed-montel-williams-makes-emotional-plea-for-medical-marijuana-bill/

xxxxxxxxxxx

I'm so happy he's fighting for this. As a chronic pain sufferer, I can say that there was a time where I was in such pain that I couldn't eat, couldn't sleep and I could barely walk (this is when I had to first buy my cane).

Upon going to the doctor for help, I was sent to the hospital. The hospital sent me to my doctor. Nobody did anything for me, no matter how badly I was hurting. They both allowed me to "walk" out of their offices in tears, feeling completely hopeless.

I was forced to take matters into my own hands and my friend offered me a little bit of their weed. It didn't take much; maybe 2-3 hits, but I was able to eat again and sleep for about 2 hours (until it wore off). It even helped me with my walking.

I don't understand why it's taking so many states so long to catch on to the fact that, when it comes to pain, this is a miracle drug.

I hope so much that Montel is successful. He is definitely an inspiration.
    [insert motivational quote here]

DX of Lyme Disease May 2010/Still under investigation for body madness

Comment

I have the EXACT lower extremity pain that he describes. It really is ruthless and unrelenting.

I've always believed that marijuana (medical and just generally) should be legalized, so I'm definitely on his side!
      “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
      Diagnosed 1979

Comment

Before MS, I admit I was strictly opposed to legalizing MJ, even for medical purposes. I have since changed my tune, having had to suffer even after being on three different forms of pain meds (one a narcotic).

I'm still on the fence about legalizing it across the board, having known so many people who have gone onto harder & addicting drugs, but I suspect it has more to do with them becoming immersed in the drug culture itself. Maybe if it were legalized, they wouldn't move onto the other stuff... I dunno.

Anyway, I have never tried MJ (yes, I'm one of the very few who didn't LOL), but knowing that it helps so many with pain, I would be willing to give it a shot if it were ever medically legalized in my State. I would love to eliminate the Norco, which is physically and mentally addicting, but nothing else has worked and so I wait for something better to come along.

So, with all that said, I think the reason why it's so hard to get it medically legalized is that the vast majority of people do not have the kind of pain we have and simply do not understand the desperation and need. One has to experience it to really empathize and sympathize.

Hopefully, Montel's plea will embolden others to come forward to make this happen.
        dx Transverse Myelitis March/2008 - dx upgraded to RRMS June/2008
        Rebif June/2008
        Tysabri October/2010

Comment

I too have found relief with just a small amount of MJ. Those pains that won't calm down with even narcotic pain meds. Where you struggle to find away just to stop the pain so you can sleep or eat.

I wholly support the legalization atleast for medicinal purposes.

Sadly enough I live in a state that will likely be one of the very last to accept the positive it can do for chronic sufferers.

Comment

I too am glad to see that he is working hard to get the message across about the need to allow MJ for medicinal use. I have had chronic pain due to another condition for over a decade before MS hit, and can relate to the frustration that another poster described when being sent to hospital to a variety of doctors ( through a pain clinic in my case) only to be sent away in pain with no help at all - even the assessment process last months during which time i just had to cope- i was suicidal at one point due to the constant severe pain.

in my case, the 1st pain unit proved to be absolutely useless apart from the fact they referred me to another pain unit where i had to start the process again- Thankfully the 2nd unit ( and one pain doc in particular) eventually helped me get my pain under control. These days though i do find i have times when i have severe pain from the MS, and muscle spasm as well as the previous chronic pain syndrome and phantome limb pain. If MJ were available i would certainly try it- chronic pain-what ever the cause, is throroughly disabling. That constant daily battle to continue to function despite severe pain is soul destroying and i cannot understand why the only way most of us can try MJ is at the risk of being charged with drug offences. I do not support across the board legalisation as i from my professional life, i have seen evidence of the link between MJ usuage and the dx of mental illness in some ( most commonly young male users) and it needs to be aknowledged that any medication that can be used for a positive effect can and will have negative effects for some, that makes recreational use unwise in my opinion but the fact that some individuals abuse MJ should not mean it is barred for all

Another reason to support legal medical MJ, is that those who grow it for there own use at present can be at risk for more than legal reasons. I know another MS sufferer, who has severe PPMS- he lives in the same housing complex as me and is just about housebound- he has visiting carers but lives alone and he grows a couple of plants for personal use and sadly he has been broken into and robbed on more than one occasion by louts looking for his plants- if he could get it on script from an MO he would not have to take this risk. by gowing his own he risks legal action ( it is decriminalized here but not legal so there are significant fines) as well as attracting unwanted attention from neighbourhood hoons!

Comment

PLEASE!!!!!!!

Please...please...please...the "powers that be", listen to Montel and show some compassion for him and all the rest of us who suffer severe pain every minute of every day, year after year.

The nerve pain is so bad most of the time, my quality of life is next to nill and I question the reason for my existence. Nothing touches this pain except perhaps a strong narcotic that leaves me to go through life like a zombie. I've never tried MJ, afraid of what I might find "on the street", but have heard many positive comments regarding its ability to reduce pain. We MSrs are prescribed drugs to pump into our bodies with horrible side effects, so why not medical mj that isn't so damaging and is known to work?

If we could switch places for a day, I'm sure you would reconsider your decision!

Comment

I need to watch the link, But I am so glad he is advocating MJ for use! I personally have never tried MJ in my life but have been taking prescribed narcotic pain killers, tell me what is the diff really. I think Pain killers are worse, Had a close friend die from overdose on oxy.

It could help so so many but in Utah it will NEVER happen, I have heard many Drs say this is needed!
                Dx'd RRMS 7/12/2010, Back in the Prob. Pile 2/1/2011 "Jump, and you will find out how to unfold your wings as you fall”...Ray Bradbury

Comment

" I've never tried MJ, afraid of what I might find "on the street", but have heard many positive comments regarding its ability to reduce pain"
                  same here. my pains don`t seem as severe, but they are still bothersome.
                  btw, i`m in the very nw corner of pa, right now, covered in ice!!!

dave
                  hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
                  volunteer
                  MS World
                  hunterd@msworld.org
                  PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

We will all have to get new brownie recepies now. Remember those brownies?

JudySz

Comment

MJ is a gateway drug?

I started out with Flintstone vitamins, then moved on to marijuana, but recently moved on to a harder, more dangerous injectible drug, Rebif. Now that I am used to injecting, will I move on to heroin?
                      There is so much bad information out there on MJ, most people have a strong opinion on it, but have no experience with it.
                      I make sure to tell my doctors that I smoke and describe how I feel it helps. Hopefully by spreading the word, attitudes will change. If you benefit from MJ, please tell everybody you know that you use it and they will see that you are not a junkie just looking to get high.

Comment

I am currently taking methadone (along with two other pain drugs) to help with my pain. When/if I'm ever able to drop methadone I'll have to worry about withdrawal. MJ is so much safer that methadone. I've tried medical grade MJ and know that it works for pain...at least for me.

A bill has just been submitted to the Idaho legislature for legalizing medical marijuana and I'm calling my representative to see if I can build support.

Comment

MJ works for pain with a lot of people and as a med I didn't understand why anyone is against it.

Now, for myself I have MS - But I dont have this pain that others describe, I consider myself lucky. I dont have that extra RX to get beacuse of this I only need my DM and a Fatuige med. I know I'm lucky so far.

I feel like, personaly I won't go the MJ route if I get pain. Its because of the fear of criminals doing something to me or my family if they knew it was in my home.

Another reason why I am also afraid to let my community know I have MS. as a lot of people automatically think all persons with MS use MJ. I hear that comment quite often when I do admit I have MS.

More Power to the people who need it and let them have as much as they need !!!! go Montell go! and let em know not all us need to have it beacuse some of us dont have pain. and it does not work everyone who has pain.

Comment

Originally posted by bikerider View Post
                            I am currently taking methadone (along with two other pain drugs) to help with my pain. When/if I'm ever able to drop methadone I'll have to worry about withdrawal. MJ is so much safer that methadone. I've tried medical grade MJ and know that it works for pain...at least for me.

A bill has just been submitted to the Idaho legislature for legalizing medical marijuana and I'm calling my representative to see if I can build support.
                            So methadone is OK and MJ is not ok?! Please call that representative! Good luck, bikerider, you must be in some serious pain if the prescribed methadone for you. You sound like the perfect MJ candidate to me.
                            Tawanda

Comment

MJ

Luckily I live in a state that allows medical marijuana. I have been using it now for years, legally, thanks to the system the state set up. My neurologist really supports its use and says he has seen a decline in the need for prescription drugs due to so many of his patients now using marijuana as a medicine. As for myself, it doesn't help so much with the pain as it does help with the discomfort of spasms in my legs.

Comment

Working...
                              X