Medication Withdrawl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medication Withdrawl

Welbutrin for depression and anxiety, Neurontin for pain, Prazosin (for urinary problems) are one day left.

Some here suggested that I fill out one of those prescription programs to get these filled. The problem is, if I can't afford a doctor to write the prescription, then I can't get them filled through an assistance program.

The outreach clinic in my area which is free takes 2 months to get an appointment. I was laid off of work last week and can not afford to continue coverage. Unemployment is not an option because they are in a base period of when I did not work at all the state where I live. The base period where I can get a lot doesn't start until next January. That will count my work period from this year.

I'm very afraid of what I'll experience during withdrawl.

Are you sure your pharmacy can't call your doctors to request refills? My pharmacy does that all the time and often a refill is not a problem. It's not like you haven't seen your physician's in a long time. Worth a try.

As far as the Wellbutrin, I've been on that medication for years, have gone off and on several times, no withdrawal really, just an increase in anxiety over time.

I'd make the appointment in two months with the clinic, and then try to get your refills set up thru your pharmacy for at least another month.

Unless you are going to try going off the medications and are just asking about withdrawal issues. I may not be understanding all of what you are asking.....sorry!

Comment

Well...

I was in the same boat but all you have to do is ask them to do it.

My neurologist filled out the paperwork and gave me a new prescription sheet without any problems. All I had to do was drop it off at her office, she filled it out later, and I picked it up the next day.

With my PCP, there was a $30 charge for the paperwork but I dropped it off, she filled it out, and I picked it up a few hours later plus gave me a new script sheet.

The docs won't tell you no if they know what is going on. All you have to do is call their office and ask what needs to be done to get the forms filled out. Its not hard but, they aren't going to fill it out without YOU taking the initiative and asking them to do it.
      Rae Roy

Comment

good advice, justsayyes. have the pharmacist call dr. and ask for refills, but i would go a step further. i would explain to pharmacist that i needed just enough pills to taper off medication and avoid withdrawal. have him ask doctor for that many pills, explaining money is the problem.

however, if the real problem is you don't have the money for the pills anyhow, then i guess there's nothing immediate to be done, except talk to pharmacist and explain situation. some drug companies help. i would still fill out the paperwork for assistance with medication. and make an appt in the clinic, even tho it's 2 months away.

have you checked about getting medicaid?
        If i can walk and talk, and see and pee, i'm having a great day!

Comment

I've been on both Wellbuterin and Neurontin for years and have gone off of Wellbuterin several times (I'm off now) without any problems. As for Neurontin, I've increased and decreased dosages several times too, but never gone completely off of it. (I wish I could!)

I hope you were able to work something out. Let us know how you're doing.

Hugs,

Lisa
          Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
          Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
          Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

I agree with all of these posts. I have been on and off of Wellbutrin for MANY years.

No withdrawl symptoms just after 2 wks I get a bit of the depression poking it's head up and remember why I was taking it.

Neurotin That one I personally wouldn't stop unless I had to. I have tried once due to trying baclofen on my Neuros request.

All of the numbness and pain was not good and turns out I am Highly allergic to baclofen anyway.

I am in the process of coming off of Klonopin Very difficult and painful to switch to Mirapex. Tried but couldn't handle taking both at the same time, I was no more then a wet noodle.

As far as rx I would have the pharmacy call or fax a refill request. I havent had to have my Neuro refill my Klonopin since I switched to him from a really lousy one. Cause the Pharmacy just calls the old one who I havent seen since May.

Also some pharmacies will fill Half of a rx due to money or taper so you don't go with out. Even if you don't have a refill due to taper so you don't go through terrible with drawl. Or until a refill request comes back from a DR. Just ask.
            Dx'd RRMS 7/12/2010, Back in the Prob. Pile 2/1/2011 "Jump, and you will find out how to unfold your wings as you fall”...Ray Bradbury

Comment

Prazosin is on the "Walmart $4" list and many pharmacies will match the Walmart price, so you can get a one month supply for $4 and a 3 month supply for $10. Check with your pharmacist, as some will say that prazosin should not be stopped abruptly.

Welbutrin is not on the $4 list, but there are several anti-depressant medications that are, and maybe one of those would work for you.

Neurontin is brand-name-only and not available generically, so that would be a good one to sign up for the pharmacy assistance program.

The website "ePocrates" has a lot of information on various pharmaceuticals and their prices.

Comment

You're right, Sparky. Gabapentin is the generic for Neurontin. I don't think Lyrica has a generic yet, but Neurontin definitely does.
                Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
                Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
                Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

I think you are right, Neurontin is gabapentin, but even though it is generic, it is still expensive. Or at least it was when I looked into it a while ago, when my doctor and I were trying to figure out what I could use for pain. We did not go with gabapentin because it cost too much.

Of course I have one of those health plans that has very high co-pays for medications they don't want you to use, so effectively the insurance company (and my wallet!) makes the treatment decisions, not my doctor.

Comment

Originally posted by Shashi View Post
                    You're right, Sparky. Gabapentin is the generic for Neurontin. I don't think Lyrica has a generic yet, but Neurontin definitely does.

I also think so.

Comment

Working...
                    X